Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I've had the urge to go back and play Pokemon but its not worth it for me to buy a DS just for that, especially with an iPad and an iPhone. I was hoping someone would know of a great alternative/rip off/whatever for iOS? Preferably universal and with iCloud saving? If not would someone like to develop this? If so, feel free to send me a download code and perhaps some royalties :p

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I've had the urge to go back and play Pokemon but its not worth it for me to buy a DS just for that, especially with an iPad and an iPhone. I was hoping someone would know of a great alternative/rip off/whatever for iOS? Preferably universal and with iCloud saving? If not would someone like to develop this? If so, feel free to send me a download code and perhaps some royalties :p

Yeahhhhhhhhhhno.

I also would like to know if there's a similar app too. I can think of many virtual pet games, but nothing really pokemon related.

There is a Pokemon card maker app and you can have battles in that though.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You grab a used Gameboy Advance and a copy of Pokémon Silver, Pokémon Ruby and/or Pokémon Blue. Ain't nothing like the real thing.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Thats true, I just like the idea of having the games on iOS. I love how you always have everything on you. No cellphone, mp3 player, camera, and gameboy. iPhone/iPad is all in one. Plus you always have your iPhone with you and its great to pass time.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
There is something just like this that is online with battling with other players too!

its called "Minimon Online" just search it in the app store.

No its not my game but it is created by an individual developer and its his baby lots of updates and a great game. (dont worry you can thank me by downloading one of my apps too lol :D)

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Nintendo is going to fight tooth and nail with their portable gaming devices before putting out any games on the iOS platform.

which is retarded, the industry for portable gaming devices is gone, if it was cheaper like around the price of the gameboy would of been fine,

but 200 dollars to buy a nintendo 3DS? lol i rather just upgrade my iPhone or spend it on something better.

im only going to play Zelda:OoT on it, and its damn not worth it for just one game or even 2 or 3.

nintendo can make huge amounts of money if they just drop their portable device line and start developing/porting to the iOS

all i see is profits.

imagine how much hype there will be with Starfox 64, Mario 64, MarioKart 64, Mario Party (with online play), Zelda OoT and Majoras mask, GOLDEN EYE,

etc etc.

if not, although nintendo is a pioneer, they're going to become the next sega in a decade or so.

nintendo only lives through their famed and iconic characters, if it wasnt for them things would of gone down hill by now.

imagine they didnt have mario, zelda, samus, starfox, and all those other characters.

the interactive parts are nice in which u move around and such, but other than that if they didnt have the classic nintendo characters, are you really going to get a Nintendo Wii or Wii-U to play COD or any other mainstream game in lower quality?

i highly doubt most people would.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Well it ain't going to happen.

well u didnt say never, but might as well. never say never

if nintendo starts losing money, which isn't out of the question than no doubt they'll go the sega route and scrap the gaming systems and just game develop

and they'll survive because of all their iconic games.

DragonMPhantom

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2015
Found some!!!

Dragon Island Blue 0.99 (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
Hunter Island 0.99 (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
Monster Island (Not out yet but most likely same as the others)
Micromon 0.99 (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
Zenforms 0.99 (iPad, iPhone, iPod)

My favourite ones are "Dragon Island Blue" and "Hunter Island", both by the same people. There's also "Monster Island" which is in progress (you can check them out on Facebook). In these games, you start with a dragon or monster and go through the island(s), battling others, catching wild monsters, evolving, and there's even some monsters you can mix together to create new monsters! In Hunter Island, there are even bosses you can defeat, and an amazing story line. It's also possible (though really rare) to get the other starters and dragons!

There's also Micromon, which is more like pokemon in the sense that you control your character with the arrows, and walk in grass to catch monsters.

There's also Zenforms (or something like that) which is really good but the story isn't developing any more and there's only a certain amount of monsters.

You could also get the GBA4iOS app for free from their website. (NO JAILBREAK NEEDED) They also have a DS version. They let you play games just like you had a GBA or DS with you. They're having trouble getting through iOS8 though. Apparently it works up 'till 8.1.1

:) Hope I helped

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.