Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Preparing to Launch 128 GB Versions of Full-Size iPad?

Following today's revelation of code in iOS 6.1 Beta 5 hinting at future 128 GB iOS devices, 9to5Mac reports that four new high-end iPad configurations have appeared in a U.S. retailer's database.

While the exact identity of the devices is not revealed in the stock database, they do appear as "ultimate" configurations of the current full-size iPad models, suggesting that they may represent 128 GB models of the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad in both black and white.

Quote:
While it is certainly plausible that this new iPad model is the 128GB iPad, we are currently not confident enough to outright claim that, but it seems likely based on the evidence. [..]

The P101 and P103 names are Apple's internal nomenclature for the WiFi-only and Cellular-compatible fourth-generation iPads, respectively. Both of those models comes in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB configurations. These storage sizes are known as "GOOD," "BETTER," and "BEST," respectively. As you can see in our table above, Apple is preparing to release the additional "ULTIMATE" model. "ULTIMATE" frequently refers to the most premium or highest capacity model available. The "A" points to a black configuration, and "B" stands for the white option.
No additional information such as specifications, price, or a launch date for the new configurations have yet been revealed.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Launch 128 GB Versions of Full-Size iPad?
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:47 PM   #2
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Nice to have but i aint paying over 1k for an ipad! Rather get a MBA!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:14 PM   #3
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Or Apple could just put an inconspicuous MicroSD slot ... and we can add 64GB of storage for $50.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
This all has to do with Apple wanting to push up the average selling price of an iPad.
I think consumers are starting to question the value proposition of an iPad... Android tablets for 1/2 the price are starting to look very attractive.
coolspot18 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4
jont-fu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Or Apple could just put an inconspicuous MicroSD slot ... and we can add 64GB of storage for $50.00.
... and most people would naturally use the cheapest SD cards they find, causing slow app startup times and stuttering HD video playback. And what would happen when the card fails? Besides, managing what to store in the card and what in the internal memory would be a hassle. There are many good reasons why there are no memory card slots.

Though I agree the price of storage is high, but it's more related to Apple's business model.
jont-fu is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Death-T
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Death-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jont-fu View Post
... and most people would naturally use the cheapest SD cards they find, causing slow app startup times and stuttering HD video playback. And what would happen when the card fails? Besides, managing what to store in the card and what in the internal memory would be a hassle. There are many good reasons why there are no memory card slots.

Though I agree the price of storage is high, but it's more related to Apple's business model.
If they were to do that I think it would be somewhat integrated so that the SD card's additional space isn't used until the phone's built-in storage is all used up. Sure, some cheap cards could go bad but it's not like those things have super high failure rates or anything. When it comes down to it, Apple doesn't offer options like this because they make a killing off their $500+ tablets with a few USB sticks worth of storage space.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Carmenia83
macrumors member

I'm hoping they will finally kill off the iPad 2 and drop the 16GB iPad 4 into that price point. Then offer the 32/64/128 at the current prices. That will give them something to offer in the spring to keep the shareholders at bay until they roll out a redesigned iPad 5 and Retina iPad mini in the fall.
Carmenia83 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
OutSpoken
macrumors 6502a

Meh...good for those who need it..

me, I'm happy with my 32GB.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:49 AM   #8
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Putting it simply: Even all these android OEMs are beginning to drop SD cards: Google themselves, the HTC droid DNA has lost it, even the sony Xperia Z. And many others.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post
Right. Because this 128gb model is the only update Apple has planned for the iPad. Ever. Adding this 128gb model is requiring 100% of Apple's employees working day and night on it; nothing else is being done or planned to be done but this.
They're going to cancel the 5th generation iPad and just continue with the 4th gen with more storage. Forever.
It'll still be better than what Samsung has to offer.

I used a note 800. I have to say that I've never been more apalled by a tablet of that caliber.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 AM   #9
frabber
macrumors regular

Don't bother the price is going to be astronomical.., the only good thing about it is that it will drive the 32/64GB prices down...
frabber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
Putting it simply: Even all these android OEMs are beginning to drop SD cards: Google themselves, the HTC droid DNA has lost it, even the sony Xperia Z. And many others.
Sony says in the Xperia Z technical specifications, that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonymobile.com
From page 6 in
http://www-support-downloads.sonymob...eria_z.pdf.pdf

Facts – dimensions, weight, performance and networks
Memory
RAM 2 GB
Flash memory Up to 16 GB*
Expansion slot microSD™ card, up to 32 GB
So you are obviously uninformed.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:14 AM   #11
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Yet Millions upon millions of Android users do this no problem.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 PM   #12
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I think consumers are starting to question the value proposition of an iPad... Android tablets for 1/2 the price are starting to look very attractive.
There's no fully featured 10" Android tablet that's half the price of the iPad outside of the Nexus 10. Apple will never sell at cost either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death-T View Post
Apple doesn't offer options like this because they make a killing off their $500+ tablets with a few USB sticks worth of storage space.
Google doesn't offer expandable memory in any of their Nexus products. Only the OEM'S do. Even Andy Rubin has said that expandable memory is too confusing for the consumer.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:37 PM   #13
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
There's no fully featured 10" Android tablet that's half the price of the iPad outside of the Nexus 10. Apple will never sell at cost either.

Google doesn't offer expandable memory in any of their Nexus products. Only the OEM'S do. Even Andy Rubin has said that expandable memory is too confusing for the consumer.
That's just an excuse to implement a decent file management UI.

Yes, the iPad still has the technical lead in many regards, but tablets like the Samsung Galaxy 2, Nexus 10, etc. are "good enough" for a lot of consumers. It satisfies the basic uses of a tablet: email, IM/skype, web, games.

I just don't think Apple's strategy of making things more expensive will pan out in the long run. But I guess we'll see.
coolspot18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:07 AM   #14
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's just an excuse to implement a decent file management UI.

Yes, the iPad still has the technical lead in many regards, but tablets like the Samsung Galaxy 2, Nexus 10, etc. are "good enough" for a lot of consumers. It satisfies the basic uses of a tablet: email, IM/skype, web, games.

I just don't think Apple's strategy of making things more expensive will pan out in the long run. But I guess we'll see.
But aside from the Nexus 10, is the iPad really all that more expensive?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:19 AM   #15
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post

Every Google phone with basically the same OS has an SD card.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 AM   #16
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Every Google phone with basically the same OS has an SD card.
You're missing the point. Google themselves don't seem to think an SD Card is a necessity. So it's not an Apple is being stubborn thing.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 PM   #17
JXChain
Banned

Quote:

yea, until they start downloading apps for their android tablet.

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
Exactly, what is a "desktop option" ?
I bet he was referring to the ridiculous monstrosity/failure known as windows 8
JXChain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:38 PM   #18
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXChain View Post

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best

Not really, just installed android on a hp touchpad for my aunt and every app she (and my kids want as they go play there) wanted was avaiable for the tablet.

They all seemed fine by me.

Quote:

Well seeing MS posted record profit numbers I dont think they care. They got higher profit margins then apple or google at the moment.

Oh and I have been using it for months, dont really know what all the whinig is about, its a very nice OS.
k995 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:39 PM   #19
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best.
That's because most apps scale fine for a tablet... unlike iOS? There are some tablet optimized apps, but I hardly notice the difference (if any).

I just picked up a Transformer Infinity to replace my iPad ... Android is definitely not as polished as iOS, but on the other hand, the freedom of the OS is refreshing as well.

If only Apple will refresh iOS and open it up a little, then things would be perfect in Apple land.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:51 PM   #20
blahblah100
macrumors regular

Quote:

Windows 8 has a higher market share than Mountain Lion.

Of course, market share only represents something when it is in Apple's favor...
blahblah100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:00 AM   #21
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's how product markets work. Everything is in tiers in terms of quality and you will always pay extra for the differences.

I drive a Ford SUV. The difference between that and a Mercedes, while noticeable, does not justify the excess cost.....to me. But in the debate between Apple devices and Android based devices.....the extra cost is worth it (again....for me).

This sort of value proposition, as you call it, plays out every day in every product segment in the market.
ugahairydawgs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:28 AM   #22
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
I drive a Ford SUV. The difference between that and a Mercedes, while noticeable, does not justify the excess cost.....to me. But in the debate between Apple devices and Android based devices.....the extra cost is worth it (again....for me).
The iPad has not changed much since the first incarnation, besides adding a camera, faster CPU, more memory, and higher resolution screen. Android tablets are starting (or have) matched many of these features.

iOS has remained relatively unchanged in several years.

The popular apps are pretty much available on both platforms.

I think it's starting harder to justify an iPad over an Android tablet - especially something like the Nexus 7.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:33 AM   #23
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what people expect them to do with the Ipad ? They can make it thinner, more powerful, faster.

You either like the OS or you don't, i personally won't ever change to Android even if they add a teleporting app
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 AM   #24
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The iPad has not changed much since the first incarnation, besides adding a camera, faster CPU, more memory, and higher resolution screen. Android tablets are starting (or have) matched many of these features.

iOS has remained relatively unchanged in several years.

The popular apps are pretty much available on both platforms.

I think it's starting harder to justify an iPad over an Android tablet - especially something like the Nexus 7.
What exactly are they supposed to add from a hardware standpoint other than faster internals and an improved screen?

End of the day....it's a personal choice. For me....Android just doesn't cut it. The experience isn't anywhere near as smooth and there is no built out ecosystem that works as seamlessly as what I have currently with iPhone, iPad, MBP, Mac Mini, ATV, and all of the stuff purchased through iTunes. If the Apple ecosystem isn't appealing to you or you can get past some of the software experience issues....then I'm sure Android is appealing. I just can't get there.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:15 AM   #25
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
I'd rather have a MBA regardless. But the mini, that is another story. Many people have lost interest in the 10" iPad due to the mini. 128 is not going to change that.

The mini is perfect. Even if the 5th Gen 10" is the same design as the mini, it's not a mini. I was a complete anti Tablet user until the mini. Now I can't put it down. Good thing Eddy got through to SJ.

SamDung was smart to have their new small Tablet 8". However, they will be busy for a while with plunging Hard Drive profits.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion