Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Design Said to Be Mix of iPhone 5 and iPod Touch with iPod Classic Curves

iLounge follows up its reports from last week about Apple's future iOS device plans with a new report sharing details on Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone. According to the report, the new device will indeed be constructed primarily of plastic and offers design similarities to the iPhone 5, iPod touch, and even the iPod classic.
Quote:
From the front, the new iPhone looks almost identical to the iPhone 5--the same exact shape, with the same sensor, camera, and button arrangement. The 1136 x 640 screen isn't a surprise, but will be a nice step up in specs for the lowest-cost iPhone. Rather than making the display flush with the enclosure, as it was in the plastic iPhone 3G/3GS, the front glass sticks out a little, just as it does with the iPhone 5 and iPod touch. Despite the shift to plastic for the rest of the enclosure, our sources believe that Apple will continue to use Gorilla Glass for this model's screen.

Differences become more obvious when the new iPhone is turned on the side. The circular volume buttons of the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 will shift to elongated, pill-shaped designs closer to the iPod touch and iPhone 3G/3GS.
The device is reportedly about half a millimeter taller and wider than the iPhone 5, but also about one millimeter thicker.

Similarities to the iPod classic are said to arrive in the form of the curves on the rear edges of the device. The report indicates that the sides and rear of the device will all be flat and connected by distinct curves rather than extending the curves all the way through the rear shell of the device.
Quote:
Unlike the plastic iPhone 3G/3GS, which featured soft curves on all sides, the budget iPhone's curves start and end at flat surfaces, so each side and the back are flat. This seems like a trivial change, until you realize that it allows Apple to use flat rather than curve-matched parts: the right side has a flat, centered SIM card tray just like the iPhone 5's, while all of the buttons and ports are on flat rather than curved surfaces. A flat-backed iPhone won't rock on a flat surface when it vibrates, either.
The rear and bottom edges of the lower-cost iPhone will reportedly be something of a hybrid of the iPhone 5 and the current iPod touch, with a the bottom edge showing a similar layout of features to the iPhone 5 but with fewer holes.

Apple has long been rumored to be working on a lower-cost iPhone, but rumors have accelerated in recent weeks with indications that the company may launch the device later this year.

Article Link: Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Design Said to Be Mix of iPhone 5 and iPod Touch with iPod Classic Curves
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?
Total waste of time to create a 'budget' iPhone
pnoyblazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Agreed. Not sure why this would be a good idea.
gmanist1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Twixt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Agreed. Not sure why this would be a good idea.
This phone will NOT be available in the US to begin with (or at least not supposed to...) or other countries where regular iphone is successful

This low cost story should lead to a 200 usd price, twice as less as cheapest iphone available at the moment. Do not forget that telcos subsidies are not standard rule for every country, also subsidies will go down to zero with time as low cost carriers are coming and spreading like wildfire...

I can imagine this one will end up in the US sooner or later:
If you have a 199 usd budget and no replacement program available, will you go for low cost iphone or will you cash out 800 usd for regular one?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixt View Post
This phone will NOT be available in the US to begin with (or at least not supposed to...) or other countries where regular iphone is successful
No, it will be. If not, hello ebay!
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816

While it's almost certain that Apple is working on an iPhone "LC", that doesn't necessarily mean it will be released anytime soon, or ever.
IF Apple launches it, they also won't necessarily roll it out worldwide. The main rationale for an iPhone "LC" is to improve iPhone footprint in the developing world: China and India mostly, and perhaps other third world markets including Africa.
Those are markets that do not lend themselves well to the current iPhone main business model: subscription contract and subsidized handset. Therefore, the iPhone "LC" would be mainly targeting consumers who opt for prepaid with an unlocked, full-property handset. Such product would not get much traction at a price point above US$ 300 - 350.
So if that product happens, while it would be of robust quality and performance, it will probably sport an older CPU generation, 512MB RAM as well as a low capacity flash drive (16 or even 8 GB) and be stripped of some features, like LTE, retina display and so on, and I wouldn't expect it to be available in markets like North America, Western Europe and Australia/NZ.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Premium1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I feel the same. Plus I think they are wasting money when they could just keep making the iPhone 4 and sell in developing markets.
Premium1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:31 AM   #9
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Still looks pretty legit (I would def buy 1 if I needed a new phone). I am guessing this will become the "free" phone with contract.

TouchMint.com is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Kolmogorov
macrumors member

The price?

Is going to be $ 450 for 16GB version without a contract, and free with a contract? Very nice prices!

What do you think?
Kolmogorov is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Kolmogorov
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolmogorov View Post
Is going to be $ 450 for 16GB version without a contract, and free with a contract? Very nice prices!

What do you think?
Maybe 8 GB version will cost $ 450, 16 GB will cost $ 500? So it can essentially be a plastic iPhone 5, but not that cheaper than then $ 550 16 GB iPhone 5.

I can totally see that people are getting crazy over this 8 GB $ 450 plastic iPhone 5... It's like the $ 650 iPhone 5 dropped $ 200 in less than one year. Kind of unusual for Apple.
Kolmogorov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:53 AM   #12
needfx
macrumors 68020

iPhodne
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:53 AM   #13
MTL18
macrumors regular

I have long been against this because I fear it will eat into Apple's profits heavily. ASP on the iPhone is so high and I like it that way.

If this is an exclusive device for countries where sales are low or non existent, this could make sense. However, if this makes its way into the USA, I'll be bummed.
MTL18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No. They are dated designs. The 4 is quite sluggish, even for a 'budget' phone. If Apple bring out two phones a year - the premium and the value line - that's better than just using old models to cover the budget end of things.

Further, the iPhone 4 design is, again, a relatively expensive, finicky thing to make compared to a plastic competitor. Sounds like this rumoured phoned could be a kind of compromise between the best-of-the-best product design Apple is known for and something that's cheaper and easier to churn out in the Chinese sweatshops.
Macist is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 AM   #15
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The iphone 4 may be free on contract, but it's not actually free. Last I checked it still costs $325 from ATT. I think Apple is wanting to target this to India/China where people may not want to shell out $325 for a phone.
rmatthewware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:56 AM   #16
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?
Yes
tevion5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #17
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
+1, besides the normal is for Apple to make the 4 go away, drop 4S to Free and 5 to go to $99 when the new phone comes out, so why not take the 4S which is a good phone and has 1-2 years left of life and make it the Low cost alternative phone, I just do not see coming up with another supported model to deal with? for that matter, come up with an 8GB IP5 and use that, this way all you have to is support 2 models.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:22 PM   #18
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
+1, besides the normal is for Apple to make the 4 go away, drop 4S to Free and 5 to go to $99 when the new phone comes out, so why not take the 4S which is a good phone and has 1-2 years left of life and make it the Low cost alternative phone..."
FREE* is not the same as "low cost". The market for a low-cost iPhone is the one that doesn't want to get the phone for free* and then pay $2000+ for the "service". The market wants low-cost phone and low-cost service.

I've said it before: put 3G or 4G connectivity in an iPod Touch and give it an iPad data plan (cost of service). Then, sell a ton of these to the parents of the teenagers who desperately want an "iPhone" but their parents don't want to give them a $2000+ total cost of ownership device. iPod Touch 4G + $25/month data is much more desirable than Free* iPhone and $100/month contract.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #19
lozpop
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Again. In the prepaid markets so everywhere outside USA, Canada and UK the iPhone 4 costs 429 and the iPhone 4S costs 629. Way more than a 300 mid-range iPhone.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:13 PM   #20
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
perhaps they plan to get rid of the 4/4s and have this be the free-on-contract option. then the iPad 2 will be the last device to use the 30pin dock connector (which they can easily ax because of the iPad mini).

personally, I would want a contract free $299 iPhone. if that is what this turns out to be, I'm all over it. there are a number of areas where they could probably cut costs... use the A5, no LTE, non-retina display, 5mp camera...

who knows. iPhone, iPhone Pro. almost like the days where the pro machines were aluminum and the consumer line was plastic. (iBook/MacBook vs PowerBook/MacBook Pro).
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:14 PM   #21
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I can think of a couple of reasons that Apple might be choosing to do this. #1 Screen size and #2 Margins.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the low-cost iPhone actually IS the new 5s. If these screenshots are close to being accurate, I don't see why they would even bother offering a 5S that looks so similar to this new cost option.

Perhaps the rumors of the iPhone "Math" are about a second iPhone with a 4.8"-5" screen and metal case, and will cost $100 more than the current 5, while dropping the price on the new 5S by $100. This way, the whole new lineup is new. And while presenting a lower-cost phone (margins should be maintained by then with a mature supply chain and lower cost of plastic vs metal case), a new higher margin product is introduced that might/should make up for any slight margin erosion.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:26 PM   #22
mabhatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
1. This will be more durable... Able to take more knocks.
2. This will push all the pocket iOS devices to ONE screen size so Apple can make a new size for iPad mini.
3. It keeps the same guts as iPhone 5 which are twice as fast as 4s. But puts them in a cheaper wrapper that will make phone companies happier. Stamped metal or plastic backing removes the expensive machined aluminum, glass, and external antennas... The overly expensive fancy stuff distracting from iPhone just being a plain good phone... Like the 3GS was.
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 PM   #23
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post
2. This will push all the pocket iOS devices to ONE screen size so Apple can make a new size for iPad mini.
The ipad mini will not have a new size. ipads will continue to be 4:3.
Spungoflex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24
downpour
macrumors 6502

Here is a quick mockup of what an iPhone would look like with the curved iPod Classic style front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5S_mockup.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	393158  
downpour is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:23 PM   #25
tjl3
macrumors 6502

People are confusing the market, its most likely targeting low income markets where iPhone is not available. Business wise, this is what Apple lacks in, and its how they can increase margins. Unless Google has a huge misstep in its Android OS, Apple's growth will be limited in its existing markets. And even if a low cost iPhone were to cannibalize Apple's profits on its higher cost iPhone, its just as the 4 and 4S are doing to the 5.

I think the idea of a low cost iPhone is a better idea to the re-releasing of the previous gen models. it gives consumers a sense that they're buying something new, even on the low end. And it gives those that bought the previous versions the sense that they have something unique, not available to the public any more.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion