Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Firesign3394
macrumors regular

Is the iPod Touch the poor man's iPhone?

I heard someone say this today and it got me thinking...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:44 PM   #2
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesign3394 View Post
I heard someone say this today and it got me thinking...
It's like an iPhone without the phone but it's technically a media player so no. The poor mans iPhone is the iPhone 4.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a

no
AbyssImpact is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Ray Brady
macrumors member

The iPod Touch is the iPhone for people who don't need a phone.
Ray Brady is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

No. It's a device with much of the core functionality of an iPhone, but without the associated contract.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
The iPod Touch is the iPhone for people who don't need a phone.
Or 3G/ LTE.....
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
rboy505
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
It's like an iPhone without the phone but it's technically a media player so no. The poor mans iPhone is the iPhone 4.
Incorrect. I have many years of being glued to my iPod Touches and have had no desire or need for a smart phone, and I don't use it for media playing hardly at all except for Podcasts.

An iPod Touch will run any app an iPhone will, with the obvious exception of where a phone connection is part of it, though nearly all those work via wifi. I'm synced to all my desktop data (contacts, 10 calendars, Safari bookmarks, etc). I don't need to be connected 100% of the time if that means paying for a data plan. I'm around wifi pretty much any time I need to be online.

I've owned two Touches, including my current, over the past four years. Monthly cost to use online to date: zero.

And if one is debating phone network vs wifi, all I can say is that I stream video content happily on it, everything I need to do is fast enough and accessible enough. As far as out of home or office, I live in NYC and there's free wifi every block practically.

Would never call it just a "media player".
rboy505 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy505 View Post
Incorrect. I have many years of being glued to my iPod Touches and have had no desire or need for a smart phone, and I don't use it for media playing hardly at all except for Podcasts.

An iPod Touch will run any app an iPhone will, with the obvious exception of where a phone connection is part of it, though nearly all those work via wifi. I'm synced to all my desktop data (contacts, 10 calendars, Safari bookmarks, etc). I don't need to be connected 100% of the time if that means paying for a data plan. I'm around wifi pretty much any time I need to be online.

I've owned two Touches, including my current, over the past four years. Monthly cost to use online to date: zero.

And if one is debating phone network vs wifi, all I can say is that I stream video content happily on it, everything I need to do is fast enough and accessible enough. As far as out of home or office, I live in NYC and there's free wifi every block practically.

Would never call it just a "media player".
Give me a break. Apple markets the iPod as a media/game player so that's why I refered to it as such. That's what iPods are and have always been. Media players.I have owned two touches in the past 4 years as well. I am well aware of what they are and what they can do. And I didn't say anything to the contrary of what you said. Don't like/want/need a data plan? Fine. But that doesn't change what an iPod is. Of course the touch can do much more than just play media. Anyone in this sub forum should know that.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Give me a break. Apple markets the iPod as a media/game player so that's why I refered to it as such. That's what iPods are and have always been. Media players.I have owned two touches in the past 4 years as well. I am well aware of what they are and what they can do. And I didn't say anything to the contrary of what you said. Don't like/want/need a data plan? Fine. But that doesn't change what an iPod is. Of course the touch can do much more than just play media. Anyone in this sub forum should know that.
Wait, so you say that it’s just a media player and always has been... Then you say that it can of course do much more than play media? Contradiction
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:43 PM   #10
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Wait, so you say that itís just a media player and always has been... Then you say that it can of course do much more than play media? Contradiction
No. Not really. Most blu ray players can do more than just play blu ray discs. Game consoles can do more than just play games. Besides, I'm not sure why this is a big deal in the first place. Use your iPod how you want.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:55 PM   #11
rboy505
macrumors member

Quote:
Give me a break. Apple markets the iPod as a media/game player so that's why I refered to it as such. That's what iPods are and have always been. Media players.
Your words, not Apple's, regrading the Touch. Not reflective of their marketing of it at all. If you can even find the phrase "media player" on the Apple site on the Touch page let me know.
rboy505 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:15 PM   #12
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy505 View Post
Your words, not Apple's, regrading the Touch. Not reflective of their marketing of it at all. If you can even find the phrase "media player" on the Apple site on the Touch page let me know.
Apple markets it as a.music and video player and game player. Which can be inferred a media player. Regardless, this whole argument is stupid. Someone got all defensive because I called an iPod a media player (god forbid) and because he doesn't want or need a data plan. Use your iPod how you want. The touch is capable of doing much more than just consume media. Ive used my devices as a PDA for 4 years. Does that not make them a media player? No. You can browse the web and play movies on a ps3. does that mean its not a game console? No. Learn what's worth arguing over.
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 PM   #13
bonskovsky
Banned

These days even poor people can buy an iPhone. It's just an MP3 player.
bonskovsky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:35 PM   #14
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
These days even poor people can buy an iPhone. It's just an MP3 player.
agreed, I go to some very poor areas of Toronto filled with government hosing/welfare areas/ low income areas and everyone seems to have iPhone 5's, Canada Goose jackets, and Uggs.

And I have the "poor mans" iPhone as I have the iPhone 4.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:49 PM   #15
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
agreed, I go to some very poor areas of Toronto filled with government hosing/welfare areas/ low income areas and everyone seems to have iPhone 5's, Canada Goose jackets, and Uggs.

And I have the "poor mans" iPhone as I have the iPhone 4.
Why do you go to the low income areas?
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:05 PM   #16
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Better off getting the Iphone 5 off contract for $300 more and getting a plan with T-Mobile.

I have 3 lines with T-mobile for $105 a month getting unlimited Data with 2GB high speed (which i have not been able to reach since i mainly use it for web browsing and email).

That is the same price that i used to play for three Non-Smartphones (i believe they are called feature phones) with no internet from MetroPCS.

So for only $300 more i have an iphone 5 with unlimited data for the monthly rate i paid with metro for no internet and a crappy phone.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Ffosse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
Better off getting the Iphone 5 off contract for $300 more and getting a plan with T-Mobile.

I have 3 lines with T-mobile for $105 a month getting unlimited Data with 2GB high speed (which i have not been able to reach since i mainly use it for web browsing and email).

That is the same price that i used to play for three Non-Smartphones (i believe they are called feature phones) with no internet from MetroPCS.

So for only $300 more i have an iphone 5 with unlimited data for the monthly rate i paid with metro for no internet and a crappy phone.
Here in Scotland any phone - or any sim card since our phones are unlocked - is just £5 a month for unlimited 3.5/4G data on pay as you go on a choice of networks. No-one I know has a contract - those things are dead, just buy the phone upfront.

I hook up my Nexus 7, my netbook and my iPod Touch 5g to my phone's hotspot - download whatever I want at any time and just pay £5 a month. Yesterday I uploaded 60Gbs of music in just 7 hours to Google Music through my crappy Sony phone.

Last edited by Ffosse; Feb 15, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:25 PM   #18
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I think an out of contract iPhone or other phone would make more sense. You can use the same apps as the iPod and actually hold the device to your ear and not have to worry about headphones and Bluetooth mics. While still using Google voice and other VoIP apps. The iPod isn't a phone and isn't intended on being used as such regardless if it works or not.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:54 PM   #19
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Why do you go to the low income areas?
it borders a nice area.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 PM   #20
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

It's not a poor man phone since it can't even make calls over cellular.

It's a iPhone without the phone. The 5th gen is very similar to the iPhone 5 in a lot of aspects.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:23 PM   #21
throAU
macrumors 68030

iPod touch = iPad Nano.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:30 PM   #22
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

poor man iphone is the 3gs not 4.

Iphone is way overpriced anyway.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:43 PM   #23
moderately
macrumors regular

For me it is a PDA. Love it for that.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:22 AM   #24
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
iPod touch = iPad Nano.
Tell me about the Apps available for the Nano!
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:39 PM   #25
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

To me it's an ipad mini mini
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch