Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
gadget123
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Will Apple surprise us again?

Nobody expected a new Ipad at the end of last year. Some say it's too soon for another but would Apple really keep us waiting until October?

They could revert back to the original release schedule and bring us Ipad 2 mini and Ipad 5 in March.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Alundra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I hope so. I really want to buy the ipad 5 right now
Alundra is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
gadget123
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alundra View Post
I hope so. I really want to buy the ipad 5 right now
I know..who would buy a heavy thing like Ipad 4 when they know Ipad mini looks great and Ipad 5 will look similar?
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:48 PM   #4
kitzuki
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
I know..who would buy a heavy thing like Ipad 4 when they know Ipad mini looks great and Ipad 5 will look similar?
Never knew 1.6 pounds was considered heavy. Lol no physical labor in your days? I have a Sony z at 3.5 pounds man that must be a boulder
kitzuki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Appl3FTW
macrumors 65816
 
Appl3FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
They just released 128gb version
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: /home @ 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appl3FTW View Post
They just released 128gb version
Released it already? When will it hit the shelves?
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:20 AM   #7
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
I know..who would buy a heavy thing like Ipad 4 when they know Ipad mini looks great and Ipad 5 will look similar?
Wow, I guess Apple should include a membership to the gym for all the poor souls that can't lift that horribly heavy iPad with retina display. C'mon, really?

PEople who would buy it are those who want an amazing display and insanely fast performance who don't want to wait 10 months. Oh yeah and people who aren't weak......
jonnyb098 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:45 AM   #8
kitzuki
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Wow, I guess Apple should include a membership to the gym for all the poor souls that can't lift that horribly heavy iPad with retina display. C'mon, really?

PEople who would buy it are those who want an amazing display and insanely fast performance who don't want to wait 10 months. Oh yeah and people who aren't weak......
This can not be stated enough. The damn ipad4 weighs less than a high school text book. you aren't holding a flat screen tv...or even a 5 pound device
kitzuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:29 PM   #9
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
I know..who would buy a heavy thing like Ipad 4 when they know Ipad mini looks great and Ipad 5 will look similar?
I would assume people who are strong enough to hold a can of pop and drink it without their arm falling off and also dont want a device that is pretty to look at but become very disappointed once they turn it on...just a guess though...
__________________
Thanks for viewing my Signature!
bigboar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:46 PM   #10
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
I would assume people who are strong enough to hold a can of pop and drink it without their arm falling off and also dont want a device that is pretty to look at but become very disappointed once they turn it on...just a guess though...
Could we just leave it at "people who want more screen real estate" or "people who want one of the most amazing tablet displays" instead of incorporating a bunch of (tired!) thinly veiled attacks on people who like the mini?
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Its not really a surprise considering the iPad refresh cycle has been in March since the iPad 1. (Only reason why it was fall last year was due to the Lightning connector).

Imagine how stupid Apple would look if the cheaper iPad Mini had better specs than then the supposedly "better/full" iPad.
irDigital0l is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:00 PM   #12
gadget123
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Its not really a surprise considering the iPad refresh cycle has been in March since the iPad 1. (Only reason why it was fall last year was due to the Lightning connector).

Imagine how stupid Apple would look if the cheaper iPad Mini had better specs than then the supposedly "better/full" iPad.
That's true.

Even if Ipad mini 2 comes around people shouldn't be too disappointed. Reconditioned prices should come right down.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:05 PM   #13
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
That's true.

Even if Ipad mini 2 comes around people shouldn't be too disappointed. Reconditioned prices should come right down.
Also its highly unlikely that Apple will release all their iOS devices in the fall.

Sep - iPhone 5S, new iPod Touch
Oct - iPad 5, iPad Mini 2

1. They won't have a new iOS device in the Spring which is where they most need it at. HTC M7, Samsung Galaxy SIV, $99 Nexus 7, Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro, etc.

2. Apple's going to have supply issues like they did last year again. They released the iPad too late and mainly the 9.7'' iPad was hit with supply chain problem. Although nothing too big for Apple, it did cost them to loose sales.
irDigital0l is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:07 PM   #14
gadget123
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Also its highly unlikely that Apple will release all their iOS devices in the fall.

Sep - iPhone 5S, new iPod Touch
Oct - iPad 5, iPad Mini 2

1. They won't have a new iOS device in the Spring which is where they most need it at. HTC M7, Samsung Galaxy SIV, $99 Nexus 7, Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro, etc.

2. Apple's going to have supply issues like they did last year again. They released the iPad too late and mainly the 9.7'' iPad was hit with supply chain problem. Although nothing too big for Apple, it did cost them to loose sales.
Yes I think Apple will stick to the later in the year release for Iphone 5.

I'm afraid if you just got an Ipad 4 tough luck. Ipad 3 owners had to suffer when a new Ipad was released last year..well I sort of never bothered as the spec bumps were decent but I was waiting for a re design like Ipad mini.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 PM   #15
ZuneMan?
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Apple Store
They will always surprise us
ZuneMan? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:05 PM   #16
tonyy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Since the 128gb is going to be out Feb 5, the percentage of a redesigned ipad 5 coming out in March is greatly reduced.

I believe Apple needs to come out with something this spring to keep sales up. Waiting until late summer/fall for a new release seems risky.

Ipad 5 in the fall, new iphone in the summer, and a retina ipad mini this spring would be sweet.
tonyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:55 AM   #17
Nimravus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I can't wait! Glad I held off upgrading my iPad 3rd gen... Definitely getting the 128gb LTE. I hate having to manage the skimpy 64gb space on my current iPad. 128 is decent. I hope they will offer 256 and 512gb this fall.

Apple seems to now not have a set product cycle so we will probably see the iPad 5 this fall. Incremental updates here and there. I love it. I HATE the old yearly updates.
Nimravus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:59 AM   #18
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
The ipad 5 and mini 2 must have one of the most unpredictable launch dates in the history of Ios. I've heard March, October and even WWDC.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:20 AM   #19
OSMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Many comment the 5 will have a slim design like the iPad mini.
Just can't see that in March, the 5 is thicker as it needs a bigger battery.

It will take at least 6-10 months for a Soc/screen to be available that will allow the design to be as thin as the mini.

That combined with the 128GB release , pretty much rules out any iPad 5 until fall and even then I don't think it will be as thin as the mini.
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple's remaining surprise....4K at 60Hz. MacVidCards Mac Pro 108 Jul 14, 2014 01:58 PM
Surprise Surprise!!!! .. BTO Preference not available!!!! stonesrubber MacBook Pro 5 Oct 30, 2013 09:07 PM
I think Apple is in for a big, big surprise...... Markiie iPhone 51 Sep 5, 2013 01:16 PM
AOL sucks (Surprise, surprise) AlyCat Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Oct 6, 2012 12:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC