Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Macman45
macrumors G5

Mackeeper

I know we can't come right out and slate this software, but could a sticky be applied to warn people of the pitfalls? I've just answered yet another issue caused by software that I feel is being sold under false pretences.

Many a thread to back this up.

Last edited by Macman45; Feb 1, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:36 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I know we can't come right out and slate this software, but could a sticky be applied to warn people of the pitfalls? I've just answered yet another issue caused by software that I feel is being sold under false pretences.

Many a thread to back this up.
One problem is too many don't read the sticky threads, or even notice that they exist. As people come here from many sources on the web, and as that app's developer is notorious for pervasive and obnoxious advertising, I don't see any way to effectively alert people to avoid it. For now, I'm guessing we're stuck handling problems as they're reported.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
One problem is too many don't read the sticky threads, or even notice that they exist. As people come here from many sources on the web, and as that app's developer is notorious for pervasive and obnoxious advertising, I don't see any way to effectively alert people to avoid it. For now, I'm guessing we're stuck handling problems as they're reported.
Well, you are right of course, but it wouldn't hurt....I don't understand how they sell it...I'd like to put DON'T BUY MACKEEPER on the front page, but feel this may have an adverse effect on my rep.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000

I would love to see apple block mackeeper with Xprotect. Then we would get to see some idiots bitch about Apple telling them what they can and can't install on their computer, as if MacKeeper was a tremendous loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Well, you are right of course, but it wouldn't hurt....I don't understand how they sell it...I'd like to put DON'T BUY MACKEEPER on the front page, but feel this may have an adverse effect on my rep.
We could just put it in our signatures with a link to a thread about the evils of MacKeeper and enabling the developers practices.