Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Mackeeper

I know we can't come right out and slate this software, but could a sticky be applied to warn people of the pitfalls? I've just answered yet another issue caused by software that I feel is being sold under false pretences.

Many a thread to back this up.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks

Last edited by Macman45; Feb 1, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:36 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I know we can't come right out and slate this software, but could a sticky be applied to warn people of the pitfalls? I've just answered yet another issue caused by software that I feel is being sold under false pretences.

Many a thread to back this up.
One problem is too many don't read the sticky threads, or even notice that they exist. As people come here from many sources on the web, and as that app's developer is notorious for pervasive and obnoxious advertising, I don't see any way to effectively alert people to avoid it. For now, I'm guessing we're stuck handling problems as they're reported.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Macman45
Thread Starter
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
One problem is too many don't read the sticky threads, or even notice that they exist. As people come here from many sources on the web, and as that app's developer is notorious for pervasive and obnoxious advertising, I don't see any way to effectively alert people to avoid it. For now, I'm guessing we're stuck handling problems as they're reported.
Well, you are right of course, but it wouldn't hurt....I don't understand how they sell it...I'd like to put DON'T BUY MACKEEPER on the front page, but feel this may have an adverse effect on my rep.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000
 
mentaluproar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
I would love to see apple block mackeeper with Xprotect. Then we would get to see some idiots bitch about Apple telling them what they can and can't install on their computer, as if MacKeeper was a tremendous loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Well, you are right of course, but it wouldn't hurt....I don't understand how they sell it...I'd like to put DON'T BUY MACKEEPER on the front page, but feel this may have an adverse effect on my rep.
We could just put it in our signatures with a link to a thread about the evils of MacKeeper and enabling the developers practices.
__________________
Powered by OSX 10.9 Ocelot
Will someone please make a safari extension that gives us back the downvote button?
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Macman45
Thread Starter
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
I would love to see apple block mackeeper with Xprotect. Then we would get to see some idiots bitch about Apple telling them what they can and can't install on their computer, as if MacKeeper was a tremendous loss.
They could ( and will) still buy it....Thats the issue...Is it fit for it's purpose IMO...No.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:13 AM   #6
mentaluproar
macrumors 68000
 
mentaluproar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
They could ( and will) still buy it....Thats the issue...Is it fit for it's purpose IMO...No.
If Xprotect blocks the installation, it damages the reputation of the developer. It's kind of workaround to not using gatekeeper.
__________________
Powered by OSX 10.9 Ocelot
Will someone please make a safari extension that gives us back the downvote button?
mentaluproar is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Tags
mackeeper

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacKeeper LuizDaniel1408 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 9 Jun 3, 2014 10:56 PM
MacKeeper Boslandew iMac 9 Dec 2, 2012 04:57 PM
MacKeeper PaulFranks Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Sep 19, 2012 09:58 PM
Mackeeper Alkalidodo MacBook Pro 6 Jul 4, 2012 03:10 PM
MacKeeper moderngamenewb Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Jun 20, 2012 04:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC