Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
What is a good suggested feature set and/or a good router for at home use? At my home are a few computers, phones, tablets, and rokus.

My current router has problems maintaining stable wifi at home over both 2GHZ & 5GHZ radios and has a habit of giving out the same IP address to multiple devices. I want to avoid these problems.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Apple AirPort Extreme, Netgear WNDR-3700 and up or ASUS top of the line are all very good choices.

I wouldn't touch, D-link, Belkin or Linksys.

What router are you using now?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Just buy an Airport Extreme, they're great. Mines been flawless.

Plus your supporting them by pumping more money into Apples war chest, and assisting in the funding of lawsuits.

Apple will be thrilled :)

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Extreme or TC as the router with Express units as extensions to fill out the wifi coverage and, add remote ethernet ports or remote audio via Airplay.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
What is a good suggested feature set and/or a good router for at home use? At my home are a few computers, phones, tablets, and rokus.

My current router has problems maintaining stable wifi at home over both 2GHZ & 5GHZ radios and has a habit of giving out the same IP address to multiple devices. I want to avoid these problems.

If you have an Apple environment, get an Apple Router - Express, Extreme or TC, unless you have some special requirements.
If you have a mixed environment, look at the above plus get an idea of what these people recommend : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com.
Look at their forums also : http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5.

Otherwise, what blueroom said is pretty much true. I had a top of the line Asus to replace my Linksys that replaced my USRobotics. Then I ditched it and switched to Apple. Never better.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
My current problem router is a Netgear. Can the airport express handle about 15 devices in a 2500 sq. ft. 2 story house with basement?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Just throwin' this out there, you can snag an AirPort Extreme (refurb) at Best Buy today for $89.99 - Regular price = $179.99.

EDIT - A refurb from Apple is $139.99
EDIT x2 - Just make sure if you get it that it's actually a 5th gen. There're mixed reports

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
My current problem router is a Netgear. Can the airport express handle about 15 devices in a 2500 sq. ft. 2 story house with basement?

I have 30 devices on my network. Only 5 are wireless but they are a mix of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I have a 4 story house with a long ground floor (think vertical L). Ground floor is ~1000 sq ft. To cover all this I have 2 Express units and 1 Extreme in a roaming network. If I just used one unit it would probably do the job, but the 5Ghz data rates wouldn't be that great.

hasenpfeffer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Just throwin' this out there, you can snag an AirPort Extreme (refurb) at Best Buy today for $89.99 - Regular price = $179.99.

EDIT - A refurb from Apple is $139.99
EDIT x2 - Just make sure if you get it that it's actually a 5th gen. There're mixed reports

The bestbuy page indicates Model RF-MD031LL/A, which indicates a 5th gen. If that's not the model you get, then keep your records so you can return it.

cheisA1A

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Midwest
I just saw the refurbished Extreme at Best Buy and came here to see if there is a huge difference between the Extreme and AirPort Express performance-wise. I wasn't looking to spend $180 on a new one and was conflicted by the mixed reviews on the refurb. I would more than likely buy the new Express or refurbished Extreme from Apple.
I only have a few things that would be connected to wifi so what would be my best bet?
Thanks

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Apple AirPort Extreme, Netgear WNDR-3700 and up or ASUS top of the line are all very good choices.

I wouldn't touch, D-link, Belkin or Linksys.

What router are you using now?

Why not D-Link? I've had only good experiences with D-Link, whereas my Netgears have never been that good.

Switched everything over to an Airport Extreme/Time Capsule mix now though. Very happy with it.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Just buy an Airport Extreme, they're great. Mines been flawless.

If they were flawless, my iPhone and PS3 would connect, which they randomly decided to stop doing.

EDIT: Can't seem to delete this response. Solved the problem I was having and posted this when I was frustrated.

Last edited:

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I purchased an airport express last night. I wasn't able to set it up with my 4S, but I setup with my MBP was quick and intuitive. All of the devices thus far have been able to connect without issue. I hope it stays this way.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I purchased an airport express last night. I wasn't able to set it up with my 4S, but I setup with my MBP was quick and intuitive. All of the devices thus far have been able to connect without issue. I hope it stays this way.

iPhone4s only connects on 2.4Ghz. It might be that your MBP is on 5Ghz so you will need to mess with some of the AE's settings.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I just saw the refurbished Extreme at Best Buy and came here to see if there is a huge difference between the Extreme and AirPort Express performance-wise. I wasn't looking to spend $180 on a new one and was conflicted by the mixed reviews on the refurb. I would more than likely buy the new Express or refurbished Extreme from Apple.
I only have a few things that would be connected to wifi so what would be my best bet?
Thanks

buy both at best buy, run your own tests and return the one that's not as good. They have pretty easy returns vs official apple, so I'd do this way if you can't decide.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
My iPhone now has an airplay button appear (I'm assuming that's what it is). Can I only play music from my phone on speakers directly attached to the Airport Express through usb or the audio jack?

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Oh, by the way you should note that there is a long standing bug which prevents Xbox 360 consoles from connecting to Airport devices at speeds of greater than 5mbps over wifi. This makes it difficult to use the Xbox with the likes of Netflix.
I never knew that - but I did end up hard wiring my xbox after I noticed the connection speed wasn't that great.

Is there any fix for that or is the fix just not to use wifi?

Other than the xbox, my Airport Extreme has been pretty reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.