Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheekychappie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hi guys,

My iMac arrived last night and the restore from time machine took just over 2 hours and worked perfectly,

So as I see it, I now have the iMac restored as a replica of the macbook air.

Now, the air is close to capacity, and what I want to do is take some stuff off the air to free up room, but things like iTunes I want to keep on by actually use the iMac as the main point of connection and storage for music.

Is there a simple way to do this, or if I delete program's / files will it put them back automatically from time machine?

Hope that makes sense

Cheers,

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi guys,

My iMac arrived last night and the restore from time machine took just over 2 hours and worked perfectly,

Now, the air is close to capacity, and what I want to do is take some stuff off the air to free up room, but things like iTunes I want to keep on by actually use the iMac as the main point of connection and storage for music.

Is there a simple way to do this, or if I delete program's / files will it put them back automatically from time machine?

Hope that makes sense

Cheers,

What I recommend as the #1 priority... decide where the "Master Copy" of your data resides. For me, that is my iMac... because it has the most resources.

Then I make sure that it is at least double backed up... 1) locally and 2) cloud. I use Time Machine/Time Capsule for local... and Crashplan+ for the cloud.

At this point... you know where the "master of all your data lives... and it is safe.

Next... I use as many cloud services as necessary to keep relevent data in sync:

1) I use only iMAP email... so now my iMac, MBA, iPad, iPhone all see the exact same state of mail... and modifying anywhere... modifies everywhere

2) I use Dropbox to store any documents/data that I want to have while mobile. I still consider my "master copy" on the iMac... but I have access and edit ability on my MBA... and if I modify it on my MBA... dropbox automatically applies the canges back home on my iMac (which is always on 24/7/356).

3) For music... you have a few of choices: a) use iTunes home sharing to access your music on the MBA but streamed from the iMac (useful while home)... b) use iTunes Match ($25/yr) to have cloud based access to your music on demand on any device... or c) Just copy a subset of your music and import it to your MBA. Note that at all times... your "master copy" of your music is still on your iMac... so you can delete it from your MBA as needed (for space) without worrying.

4) For Pictures... I use Aperture 3... which is fantastic about moving photo projects from machine to machine. That way, while I am on a trip, I upload photos into my MBA daily into a new project specific to that trip... and when I get home, I migrate the project into my iMac.

The key for me... is knowing where the "master" of all data is located... and ideally keeping it on one machine. That enables a coherent plan on managing your data... which then can lead to a good backup strategy. People who scatter their data around often get confused at some point... and or have duplicate copies everywhere without knowing what they can delete... and eventually leading to accidental deletion of important data.

/Jim

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Hi guys,

Hope that makes sense

Cheers,

I also have an iMac and a Macbook Air.
My iMac is my main machine, and contains the "master copy" of all my data.
Nearly all the programs I use now have cloud sync, so that helps keep things in sync neatly.
As above, I use IMAP on all my accounts (you probably are doing this anyway if you have a smartphone), it keeps all my emails synced nicely.
Turn on all iCloud's features on both your computers to keep your calendars, notes, etc. synced.
I use iTunes Match to keep my music in sync.
Buy everything through the App store, and you can easily install them on both.
Lastly, and this is the important one, I moved my documents folder into my dropbox folder. So all my personal documents are kept perfectly in sync that way.
I guess the only things I don't always have access to on my Air are iPhoto and movies, but you can use iCloud's Back to my Mac for that (your iMac, as long as its on and connected to the internet will appear similar to a folder in the Finder and you can log in and access all your documents that way).

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I also have an iMac and a Macbook Air.
My iMac is my main machine, and contains the "master copy" of all my data.
Nearly all the programs I use now have cloud sync, so that helps keep things in sync neatly.
As above, I use IMAP on all my accounts (you probably are doing this anyway if you have a smartphone), it keeps all my emails synced nicely.
Turn on all iCloud's features on both your computers to keep your calendars, notes, etc. synced.
I use iTunes Match to keep my music in sync.
Buy everything through the App store, and you can easily install them on both.
Lastly, and this is the important one, I moved my documents folder into my dropbox folder. So all my personal documents are kept perfectly in sync that way.
I guess the only things I don't always have access to on my Air are iPhoto and movies, but you can use iCloud's Back to my Mac for that (your iMac, as long as its on and connected to the internet will appear similar to a folder in the Finder and you can log in and access all your documents that way).

You and I are quite similar in our approach. The one thing I have never used is "back to my Mac". I guess I have been uneasy about keeping a port open in my router to get to my data (or however it is implemented).

What is the consensus on the security of Back-to-my-Mac?

/Jim

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
You and I are quite similar in our approach. The one thing I have never used is "back to my Mac". I guess I have been uneasy about keeping a port open in my router to get to my data (or however it is implemented).

What is the consensus on the security of Back-to-my-Mac?

/Jim

I hadn't thought about it to be honest. No idea. Just blind trust in apple :eek:

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I just sold a rMBP and got a air and am waiting on my iMac to arrive. This thread helps and I knew mainly about all the options except back to my mac. That is the only one I don't quite understand or have any background with.

What is it good for? Is it like home sharing, but enables remote access? Is there an easy way to set up remote access to the iMac from the Air? (I know this feature is in OSX, I just have never had the chance to figure it out/use it).

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I just sold a rMBP and got a air and am waiting on my iMac to arrive. This thread helps and I knew mainly about all the options except back to my mac. That is the only one I don't quite understand or have any background with.

What is it good for? Is it like home sharing, but enables remote access? Is there an easy way to set up remote access to the iMac from the Air? (I know this feature is in OSX, I just have never had the chance to figure it out/use it).

You literally just enable the option in iCloud and its done. No figuring out needed, as per usual for Apple features. Then your iMac will appear in the Finder sidebar of your Macbook Air.
It can be used to share screen and/or to access all the files on your iMac, in case you need them remotely. Of course then you need to leave your iMac on permanently and connected to the internet, but I do that anyway

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
You literally just enable the option in iCloud and its done. No figuring out needed, as per usual for Apple features. Then your iMac will appear in the Finder sidebar of your Macbook Air.
It can be used to share screen and/or to access all the files on your iMac, in case you need them remotely. Of course then you need to leave your iMac on permanently and connected to the internet, but I do that anyway

Thats not a problem to leave it on 24/7, thats what I plan on doing anyways. How secure is this, does it require a password to gain access to the iMac from the air?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.