Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple TV Refresh to Be Stealth Update, Will Not Affect Product Features

An Apple spokesperson spoke to The Next Web about the new Apple TV model disclosed in FCC filings yesterday.

The company explained that the changes are strictly internal, and there won't be any new features or other changes. The Next Web is also reporting that the new Apple TV will use Apple's A5X processor from the third-generation iPad, and an upgraded Broadcom BCM4334 wireless chip, as was reported last night. The external size of the device will also remain the same.

Quote:
"We sometimes make component changes which require an updated model number for regulatory approval," an Apple spokesperson told TNW. "The component changes we made don't affect product features and Apple TV customers will continue to have the same great user experience."
The new Apple TV will not be marketed as a new version, and it appears the only way to distinguish the old from the new is via the model number.

Article Link: Apple TV Refresh to Be Stealth Update, Will Not Affect Product Features
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

This doesn't seem like much of an update
Four oF NINE is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
barnaby117
macrumors member

Bluetooth Keyboard Support is Telling

At the moment, this doesn't offer much more than easy typing in search fields. Doesn't it seem like a version of Safari for Apple TV has to be on the way?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM   #4
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

So now we can all relax again.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby117 View Post
At the moment, this doesn't offer much more than easy typing in search fields. Doesn't it seem like a version of Safari for Apple TV has to be on the way?
I'm sure they would save that for the real Apple TV.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Nebrie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
It's not. They're just using the AppleTV to real-world test new manufacturing processes for the next iPad Mini chips.
Nebrie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Peace
macrumors P6

Don't they have to at least update the spec page ?

If they go from the A5 to the A5X it should reflect that right ?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...amily/apple_tv
Peace is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8
macUser2007
macrumors 65816

IT'S THE APPS, STUPID!

I am glad they are upgrading the internals, but we really need Apple to open Apple TV to developers so we can get some decent apps in their.

Right now, it's a glorified Netflix player, and not a very good one, either (e.g., if you finish an episode, it presents you with a Play button for the SAME episode, instead of the NEXT episode as many other front-ends do).

I love Netflix and that's why I am OK with ATV, but it really needs apps before Google TV gets its act together and ATV becomes irrelevant.
macUser2007 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:15 PM   #9
praetorian909
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macUser2007 View Post
IT'S THE APPS, STUPID!

Right now, it's a glorified Netflix player, and not a very good one, either (e.g., if you finish an episode, it presents you with a Play button for the SAME episode, instead of the NEXT episode as many other front-ends do).

I love Netflix and that's why I am OK with ATV, but it really needs apps before Google TV gets its act together and ATV becomes irrelevant.
Yes what is with that??? Though reading around I'm not quite sure if Apple is fully to blame.

Because meanwhile the PS3 has a nicer interface--it counts down during the credits with a nice preview window and autoplays the next episode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68barntdt3x6inr/DSC00934.JPG
(I took this photo back in May 2012)

I searched online and found out it's called Netflix Post-Play:
http://blog.netflix.com/2012/08/new-...s-it-easy.html

So sounds like it's programmed from Netflix's end, so maybe they're responsible for updating the Netflix apps on various devices? I also read some people can call Netflix to request turning it off (to save bandwidth).
praetorian909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

It has been released yet has it? This was just the FCC filing, production or sales haven't begun yet.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:41 PM   #11
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

Nope. They probably disable (laser) the extra GPU cores.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:32 PM   #12
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple says the same thing. It's amazing how in sync you are.
doelcm82 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:33 PM   #13
jlasoon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by doelcm82 View Post
Apple says the same thing. It's amazing how in sync you are.
has been saying this for some time now about all their products.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:36 PM   #14
DDaddyx2
macrumors member

Just add some more content providers. Amazon...Pandora...Spotify...Crackle. If there is a audio/video content provider with an iPad app, then there should be an effort to make one for Apple TV. I've got my stupid old Roku taking up an HDMI port just for Amazon video.

And I know Airplay works but I don't want to use my mobile device when it's something the Apple TV should be able to do itself.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:42 PM   #15
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlasoon View Post
has been saying this for some time now about all their products.
Not really. Some product updates get a keynote address with banners and fanfare, and cool music, and rows and rows of tech reporters live-blogging, and others happen like this, or like the 128GB iPad upgrade, with barely a press release.
doelcm82 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:49 PM   #16
DrMotownMac
macrumors regular

Should I return my unopened 2 day old Apple TV?

I actually have a 3rd gen Apple TV in one room in my house, and I like it so much, I decided to buy another one at my local Apple Store on January 28th (yes, two days ago). I haven't had the chance to open the box and set it up yet, so the question is, do I return it now and wait for who knows how long, or do I forget about this and just enjoy what I have?

This is very odd. It is an update, but it's not really an update.... but is it really worth waiting for?
DrMotownMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:32 PM   #17
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
That's why they call it a "stealth update".
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:12 PM   #18
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
yea, that's what they said.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
Will an upgraded wireless chip enable it to stay connected to Home Sharing for more than 5 minutes without disconnecting (while two iPhones, an iPad, two Macs, and Windows PC stay connected in the same place)?
mine never drops out. maybe it's your router.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:18 PM   #19
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Yes, just wishful thinking I think. If it were big Apple would hype it up, especially now when they need something to at least look exciting and new.

But this is likely the result of cost saving or using newer parts at the older ones get EOL'd by suppliers or Apple wanting to streamline the # of parts among all products.

Unfortunately I think Job's RDF must be pointing toward Cupertino because the only one's delusional these days are the front office at Apple HQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Gotta have a chicken before you can make some eggs
Then what I originally thought was going to happen is going to happen.
Sure they're updating chips due to discontinuing older chips but adding the bluetooth keyboard is a big giveaway imho. Apps will be in IOS 7 at WWDC.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:27 PM   #20
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

I want them to add some memory to it and pre-buffer a short segment of every show and movie you buy, that way they start instantly. With H265 coming, this would work even better.
DaffyDuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:53 PM   #21
GregA
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to GregA Send a message via AIM to GregA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
I want them to add some memory to it and pre-buffer a short segment of every show and movie you buy, that way they start instantly. With H265 coming, this would work even better.
Apple patented the pre-buffer idea a year ago iirc. Personally I don't think that's patent-worthy, but it does show they're interested.

And yes the side effect of twice the encoding efficiency is that a STB can hold twice as much video at the same quality - as well as reading ahead more quickly and generally being capable of starting playback faster. My internet is fast, but my parents were on 5Mbps so had to wait 30 minutes to watch a show, so even a slight improvement in compression would give them instant starts.
GregA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:40 PM   #22
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
You don't say?

----------

Quote:
A crappy router that works perfectly with everything except for one single client?

OK, it was a crappy ISP-supplied router... but a brand new Airport Extreme isn't much better. A little, but not a lot. Sometimes it lasts for 20 minutes before dropping out. The problem is a combination of a saturated spectrum and a crappy chip. The crappy chip would work fine with no interference, the interference wouldn't be a problem if the chip was better.
Have you tried interference robustness on the Airport Extreme? It supposedly helps with that.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 AM   #23
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Will an upgraded wireless chip enable it to stay connected to Home Sharing for more than 5 minutes without disconnecting (while two iPhones, an iPad, two Macs, and Windows PC stay connected in the same place)?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6

Thought So.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=108
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM   #25
decimortis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
*Like Thumb turns blue

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion