Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toroncan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
I found a cheap first gen Airport Express on Craigslist. I'm interested in buying it primarily to use AirTunes. My question is whether the first gen model will give me the same speeds for general internet browsing/downloading as my current ISP-supplied modem/router (all-in-one) does? My internet is rated at 25mbps down.

Also, are there any significant drawbacks to using a 3-4 year old router?

TIA

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I found a cheap first gen Airport Express on Craigslist. I'm interested in buying it primarily to use AirTunes. My question is whether the first gen model will give me the same speeds for general internet browsing/downloading as my current ISP-supplied modem/router (all-in-one) does? My internet is rated at 25mbps down.

Also, are there any significant drawbacks to using a 3-4 year old router?

TIA

1st gen Airport Express only does 802.11g if I remember correctly which is only 54mb wifi. Granted it probably won't hurt your internet speeds, but it is far from "new" tech.

toroncan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Nope... the first was g only (I had one). The naming is kind of wonky and misleading. See here. The first model had no "gen" name at all, then the second model was called "first gen". Who thought that up I do not know. :confused:

Hmm I see. I'll clarify with the seller. The ad says that it was purchased in 2009, and it linked to the tech specs I posted above, so it would seem to be the "first gen" (aka second model released). If that's the case, would it support 802.11/n?

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hmm I see. I'll clarify with the seller. The ad says that it was purchased in 2009, and it linked to the tech specs I posted above, so it would seem to be the "first gen" (aka second model released). If that's the case, would it support 802.11/n?

There was the Airport Express (1st Gen) that was sold from like 2004-2006 or 7. It was 802.11g, 54Mbps throughput.

The next version was the Airport Express 802.11n (1st Gen) sold from 2006(7?) to last year, which of course supports N-speed throughput.

If it was purchased brand new in 2009, it will most likely be a "802.11n" 1st Gen. But definitely clarify with the seller.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Yep. Maybe just verify with the seller he has model MB321LL/A.

toroncan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
There was the Airport Express (1st Gen) that was sold from like 2004-2006 or 7. It was 802.11g, 54Mbps throughput.

The next version was the Airport Express 802.11n (1st Gen) sold from 2006(7?) to last year, which of course supports N-speed throughput.

If it was purchased brand new in 2009, it will most likely be a "802.11n" 1st Gen. But definitely clarify with the seller.
So to my original question - if it's the 802.11n 1st gen, would I see speeds comparable to my ISP-provided router? I'd really like to use AirTunes but not if it means that my everyday browsing and downloading is going to suffer.

Thanks for all the help everyone

edit: another question: can this model be used as a wifi bridge, or can it only be used as a straight router (ie. ethernet must be plugged in)?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So to my original question - if it's the 802.11n 1st gen, would I see speeds comparable to my ISP-provided router? I'd really like to use AirTunes but not if it means that my everyday browsing and downloading is going to suffer.

edit: another question: can this model be used as a wifi bridge, or can it only be used as a straight router (ie. ethernet must be plugged in)?

This test shows wifi at 50Mbps as long as you are fairly close by with a good signal. Unless you are far far away from the router and getting a bad signal, I don't think you will have any trouble with it exceeding the 25Mbps speed of your Internet connection.

Yes, it can be used as a bridge.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

I've used that model for a couple years now. As long as the distance is reasonable and interference is minimal, you will have sufficient throughput from the AE for a 25Mbps internet pipe and Airtunes. Airtunes really doesn't use that much bandwidth compared to downloading and surfing.

And yes, you can set it up for wifi bridging. I have one set up for use on the patio, it provides Airtunes as well as wifi bridging for surfing on my laptop and iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.