Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Job Listing for Plastics Design Engineer Hints at Innovative Designs for Future Products

Apple today posted a new job listing for a Manufacturing Design Engineer with a focus on Advanced Plastic Tooling and Process. According to the job description, Apple is looking to expand and improve its current plastics division.
Quote:
Identify, develop and launch new tooling and process capabilities in support of new Apple product developments. Areas of focus will be "non-traditional" Apple plastic processing such as thermoforming, foam molding, blow molding, etc., and their application to new Apple products. The successful candidate will have demonstrated history of bringing new process and tooling technologies through a full development cycle and launch into high volume production.
Though Apple has focused heavily on aluminum for the iPad, the iPhone, and the MacBook line for the past few years, the Cupertino-based company has continued to prominently use plastics in such products as the Apple TV, the AirPort Extreme, keyboards, and other accessories.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple is working on a low cost iPhone that will be constructed primarily of plastic. The iPhone is said to be a hybrid of the iPhone 5 and the iPod touch, with a plastic enclosure.

A new hire specializing in plastics is unlikely to be involved in the design of the low cost iPhone, given that it is rumored to be released later this year, but the open position does support reports that Apple is focusing on novel uses of plastics for upcoming products.

Article Link: Apple Job Listing for Plastics Design Engineer Hints at Innovative Designs for Future Products
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

China + Plastic = iPhone Mini?

Or, since TELEVISIONS tend to have lots of plastic in them
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
rmwebs
Banned

<insert smarmy comment about how Apple would never use Plastic as it's cheap>

I still think that whilst the iPhone 5 is a sexy phone, it'd be nicer with the glossy plastic back of the 3/3s. Nothing wrong with plastic.
rmwebs is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Premium1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post

I still think that whilst the iPhone 5 is a sexy phone, it'd be nicer with the glossy plastic back of the 3/3s. Nothing wrong with plastic.
I feel the same way. I dont understand why people are so against plastic. Personally I like the look of the 3gs the best of any iphone. Not to mention it's much more durable than an all glass or metal product.

Then again what are they going to use to bash samsung if they go to plastic, since they like to claim plastic is cheap( they being many iphone users)
Premium1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:48 AM   #5
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:

I still think it won't.

Quote:
I agree, it's nothing wrong with it. But is no where as good as the ones build with premium materials and i find iPhone 5 sexiest of all iPhone's. Personalty I just can't see Apple going back to plastic for iPhone's.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:47 AM   #6
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
How about the curvy back of the new iMacs on the iPhone? That could be kinda nice too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo22 View Post
Personally feel the 2009/2010 unibody polycarbonate Macbook is one of the best looking designs they have had, sans the awkward non-slip bottom. Give me a current gen i5/i7 in a 13" 2009 body with the 2009+ Macbook Pro bottom (yet plastic) and it might quench my need to replace hardware on a whim so often.
I really had a thing for the G5 iMac white enclosure. That thing was a beauty. The aluminum ones that came after that were a step in the wrong direction, but you gotta hand it to these brand new ones. Quite the improvement.
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7
jouster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by omenatarhuri View Post
How about the curvy back of the new iMacs on the iPhone? That could be kinda nice too.[COLOR="#808080"]
I really want my phone to lie flat on a desk or other surface.
jouster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:08 PM   #8
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Plastic <3
NutsNGum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Schmitty11
Banned

One step forward, two steps back...
Schmitty11 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:09 PM   #10
jav6454
macrumors G5

Plastic? They've learned....

Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Plastic? They've learned....

Didn't know Aluminium was magnetic...

*le trollface
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:18 PM   #12
gkarris
macrumors 604

These phones make for cheap unlocked phones directly from Apple, as it is illegal for users to unlock smartphones in the US. $299 to start?

People here are looking forward to AT&T unlocking their iPhones when their contract is up - little do they know the carrier is no longer obligated to do so...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:24 PM   #13
baryon
macrumors 68030

I'd really love it if they could somehow make the whole back from a single piece of something. It could look more minimalistic than it does now with the iPhone 5, that has two seams at the back and quite a few seams at the edges in the aluminum frame. All this because antennas can't transmit through aluminum, which is why plastic or glass seems like a great solution. Though glass can't be nice and curved like it was with the 3G/S, so it needs a metal edge, which adds yet another seam.

Plastic allows truly 2 parts for the phone: The screen + The back. The problem is that it needs to be a bit thicker to be strong, but at least it's more flexible and resistant to drops. I think that the 3G/S now feels very chunky and big, and quite hollow (bigger than its weight would predict). Don't know if that's because of the plastic back, or something else, but I guess it's probably related.

I absolutely love the stainless steel back of the old iPod Touches, I think that looks amazing and feels even better: strong and heavy and looks great. Thin aluminium feels a bit too thin and hollow. Glass feels right but it was very square and not so comfortable on the 4/4S. The iPhone 5 is so thin it doesn't really matter, but I think that the 4th Gen iPod Touch (or whichever the previous one was) is the perfect design: Thin, stainless steel back with tapered edges, to make it feel even thinner.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:33 PM   #14
David G.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post

*le trollface
Well, technically Aluminum is paramagnetic. Realistically though, you're right.

I am such a nerd.
David G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 PM   #15
Rockondevil
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post

*le trollface
Magneto can control more than magnetic metals. Just sayin'
Rockondevil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:10 PM   #16
Krazy Bill
Banned

I dunno folks... I look at my 4S and marvel at the precision machine engineering that went into the thing.

Plastic meh. Give me rubber... something that bounces on concrete.
Krazy Bill is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:12 PM   #17
charliex5
macrumors regular

Mmmmm.... I loved the form factor of the 3G/3GS. So comfortable. Lots of nostalgia looking at that old design.
charliex5 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:26 PM   #18
righteye
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex5 View Post
Mmmmm.... I loved the form factor of the 3G/3GS. So comfortable. Lots of nostalgia looking at that old design.
Still using mine and it has survived a hell of a lot (I'am a Carpenter/joiner) its been dropped all over the place and unlike most of my co workers who have shattered 4s & 5s its soaked up the punishment.
I love the shape and although i could have upgraded a long time ago i keep putting it off.
I also earn some of my living through photography and back in the day of film i had several pro bodies that were made of polycarbonate and they were really tuff so its plastic fantastic when used correctly.

Edit; carbon fibre, any good for phones? guess it maybe bad for reception

Last edited by righteye; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
righteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:12 PM   #19
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
I dunno folks... I look at my 4S and marvel at the precision machine engineering that went into the thing.

Plastic meh. Give me rubber... something that bounces on concrete.
+1 Rubber

TouchMint.com is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:14 PM   #20
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
+1 Rubber
Like a case built in
mrsir2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:13 PM   #21
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

But Apple would NEVER (again) use cheap, crappy plastic, would they? This would never have happened (even tho it did with the 3GS) if Jobs was still around.
mrsir2009 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:15 PM   #22
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Or the guy that works on the Magic Mouse just quit and they're replacing him.

I'm sorry, but I hate the "a job posting means a new direction for Apple products" stories.
Small White Car is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:03 PM   #23
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
But Apple would NEVER (again) use cheap, crappy plastic, would they? This would never have happened (even tho it did with the 3GS) if Jobs was still around.
The thing about plastic is that it feels so cheap and crappy in the hand. That is why all those Android Phones are so nasty to hold - they are made of plastic.

Aluminum and brushed stainless are the materials that make Apple products worth the money.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:13 PM   #24
sagnier
macrumors regular

Quote:
Oh dont worry, it wont be cheap...

"i was afraid i'd eat your brain"
sagnier is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:37 PM   #25
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Go ahead and hold you breath if you think Apple wont be using plastic for phones or other devices in the future.
bobenhaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion