Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 PM   #1
smokeybear
macrumors newbie

Change the Username/Admin name? Need help, previously unsucessful

I'm relatively new to Mac, and I'm still learning my way around my Macbook Pro 2010 from this summer. I was using terminal to do some class in work, and I keep noticing that the user name is something close to 'hello$' (as shown in the screenshot). I purchased this from another Mac user, and some of the settings weren't restored; like the user name and default language on the notebook was in Chinese.

In short, how do I change the user name. Also shown in the screenshot is my name, as you can see I already tried to change the computer's name/admin name.

Thanks in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen+Shot+2013-01-30+at+10.25.18+PM.png
Views:	60
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	393709  
smokeybear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:35 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:15 AM   #3
smokeybear
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Is that what that portion is called... that name 'hello$'?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:47 AM   #4
mfram
macrumors 6502a

The "$" is the shell prompt, not part of the username. To see the username type the "id" command. Then you can use "pwd" to see the name of the user home directory.
mfram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:56 PM   #5
smokeybear
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfram View Post
The "$" is the shell prompt, not part of the username. To see the username type the "id" command. Then you can use "pwd" to see the name of the user home directory.
Ok, I went into another setting. Under User & Groups > right click admin account> advanced options. I changed the account name, but it doesn't look like I can change the home folder. Did a little more reading around last night, and if I read correctly, I'm not allowed to change the name of the home folder.

Even though I changed the account name. The home folder remains 'hello'. Any tips on how to progress? Can I even actually change it?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ok, I went into another setting. Under User & Groups > right click admin account> advanced options. I changed the account name, but it doesn't look like I can change the home folder. Did a little more reading around last night, and if I read correctly, I'm not allowed to change the name of the home folder.

Even though I changed the account name. The home folder remains 'hello'. Any tips on how to progress? Can I even actually change it?
Did you follow the guide posted by GGJ? While logged in as root, you will essentially delete the old account and create a new one in its place - renaming the home folder in the process.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help