Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smokeybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I'm relatively new to Mac, and I'm still learning my way around my Macbook Pro 2010 from this summer. I was using terminal to do some class in work, and I keep noticing that the user name is something close to 'hello$' (as shown in the screenshot). I purchased this from another Mac user, and some of the settings weren't restored; like the user name and default language on the notebook was in Chinese.

In short, how do I change the user name. Also shown in the screenshot is my name, as you can see I already tried to change the computer's name/admin name.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• Screen+Shot+2013-01-30+at+10.25.18+PM.png
    Screen+Shot+2013-01-30+at+10.25.18+PM.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 164

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The "$" is the shell prompt, not part of the username. To see the username type the "id" command. Then you can use "pwd" to see the name of the user home directory.

smokeybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
The "$" is the shell prompt, not part of the username. To see the username type the "id" command. Then you can use "pwd" to see the name of the user home directory.

Ok, I went into another setting. Under User & Groups > right click admin account> advanced options. I changed the account name, but it doesn't look like I can change the home folder. Did a little more reading around last night, and if I read correctly, I'm not allowed to change the name of the home folder.

Even though I changed the account name. The home folder remains 'hello'. Any tips on how to progress? Can I even actually change it?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Ok, I went into another setting. Under User & Groups > right click admin account> advanced options. I changed the account name, but it doesn't look like I can change the home folder. Did a little more reading around last night, and if I read correctly, I'm not allowed to change the name of the home folder.

Even though I changed the account name. The home folder remains 'hello'. Any tips on how to progress? Can I even actually change it?

Did you follow the guide posted by GGJ? While logged in as root, you will essentially delete the old account and create a new one in its place - renaming the home folder in the process.

smokeybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Did you follow the guide posted by GGJ? While logged in as root, you will essentially delete the old account and create a new one in its place - renaming the home folder in the process.

In Lab at the moment, will try it out though. I read over it a little, but was intimidated at the lack of time I had to try and figure out how to login as root user.

Thanks for your patience and understanding all, just trying to learn my way around my Macbook Pro. Great piece of equipment!

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
In Lab at the moment, will try it out though. I read over it a little, but was intimidated at the lack of time I had to try and figure out how to login as root user.

Thanks for your patience and understanding all, just trying to learn my way around my Macbook Pro. Great piece of equipment!

First you will have to enable the root user, which is easy (but potentially dangerous). You can do this in a terminal window by entering:

Code:
$ dsenableroot

It will prompt you for your password then ask you to create a password for the root user. After you do this, you will log out of your account and then sign into root. (username: root, password is the one you just created above)

Then follow the instructions in the guide above, log out of root, and sign into your newly created account. Open up a new terminal window and disable the root user:

Code:
$ dsenableroot -d

You will again be prompted to enter your password. After you enter your password you'll get a message that says you've successfully disabled the root user.

Here's what enabling/disabling the root user will look like.

1OfC85E.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.