Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
When not in use do you turn your Mac mini off or just put it in sleep mode ?

Also when the Mac mini is in sleep mode , can it charge an ipad/iphone via the USB cable ?

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
I switch mine off when I'm not using it. Even though i have the Lion server version, I'm not at home as much as I was (only at weekends as I work away).

No point in burning extra electricity when I don't need to ;)

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I have a 2011 Mac Mini and just put it to sleep every night... I do restart it every week or so.
It does charge my iPhone 5 via the USB cable when in sleep mode.

mr.thing

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Mine is configured to go to sleep afte 1hr of no usage activity. Screen turns off after 15mins. Do not see the reason to shut it down completely.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
LOL turning off the computer every night is such an old PC thing to do. My parents still do that. :D

The power consumption during sleep mode is barely measurable.

I only turn if off if im leaving for vacation for a week. Oh wait..I dont.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Every day auto set to do so, on/off , why suck all that dust in 24/7, worrying about temps and running a computer like an exhaust fan seems counter productive ... to me.

Greg

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Mine's on a schedule - wake up every day at 8 AM, sleep every night at 11 PM. We have a Magicjack for phone service and media hosted from the mini to my MBP and a couple Sony streaming players (and a TV PC), so it does not sleep during the daytime hours - I do have the HDDs spins down, though. This has worked perfectly for my needs. Add in a reboot/shutdown once a week or so and I'm good to go.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I can't really see a justification for turning my Mini off. Based on this document provided by Apple:

http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/macmini_oct2012.pdf

The 2012 mini's are using roughly 1.24 watt/hr in sleep compared to .26 watt/hr off. So yes, it uses 5x the amount of energy in sleep compared to sleep, but even in sleep it is going to take 800 hours (or 33 days) before you use a full K/hr. For me, that means if it sleeps for an entire month it cost me all of 11 cents. I know that many of you have higher costs for energy, but the ability to have near "instant" on is worth it to me.

Heck even at idle, this document states it only uses 10.3 watts so I could keep it from going to sleep, and still only use about 7.5 K/hr (83 cents) for the entire month....

slickadam

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Germany & Hungary
I can't really see a justification for turning my Mini off. Based on this document provided by Apple:

http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/macmini_oct2012.pdf

The 2012 mini's are using roughly 1.24 watt/hr in sleep compared to .26 watt/hr off. So yes, it uses 5x the amount of energy in sleep compared to sleep, but even in sleep it is going to take 800 hours (or 33 days) before you use a full K/hr. For me, that means if it sleeps for an entire month it cost me all of 11 cents. I know that many of you have higher costs for energy, but the ability to have near "instant" on is worth it to me.

Heck even at idle, this document states it only uses 10.3 watts so I could keep it from going to sleep, and still only use about 7.5 K/hr (83 cents) for the entire month....

mine uses 4 watts / hour in sleep (i5 base 2012)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
mine uses 4 watts / hour in sleep (i5 base 2012)

There's going to be a lot of variation based on components. Who knows what Apple tested this with (could have been a base mini, with only 1 stick of RAM, and an external hard drive). Point is simple, they use very very little power in sleep to the point where it makes it almost pointless to truly turn it off. Just my .02 worth.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I let it idle if I'm home. Turn it off if I'm going out or when I sleep.

I've always had a habit of turning off or unplugging electronics if they're not in use.

slickadam

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Germany & Hungary
There's going to be a lot of variation based on components. Who knows what Apple tested this with (could have been a base mini, with only 1 stick of RAM, and an external hard drive). Point is simple, they use very very little power in sleep to the point where it makes it almost pointless to truly turn it off. Just my .02 worth.

not if you pay 49 US cents / kWh (germany) and you also have other devices in standby all the time.
a normal family pays ca. 68 $ for "standby" / year...

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I leave my mini on 24/7 except when I need to reboot for updates, etc. It is very energy efficient so shutting down every time I am done using it seems pointless.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
My iPhone doesn't charge when in sleep mode, but I am on an old PB with 10.5.8 so that might be different.
I think it won't on any mac whatever the OS.

With more modern Macs you can plug the iPhone in when the computer is already awake, then sleep it and the charging will continue. It just won’t charge if you plug it in when the computer is already asleep.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
not if you pay 49 US cents / kWh (germany) and you also have other devices in standby all the time.
a normal family pays ca. 68 $ for "standby" / year...

And if you see my previous post I stated that many have much higher energy rates which is basically me saying "do what you have to do".....

If you use Apple's #'s, that equates to about $5.32 US (1.24 w/hr x 365 x 24 / 1000 x .49) if left on Sleep and $1.12 off (assuming you never actually used the mini in the entire year). Difference equates to less than 40 cents US per month difference. Even at that rate, it wouldn't be worth it to me to turn my mini off. Even if you use slickadam's rate of 4w/hr for sleep, that equates to $17.17 a year spent in sleep which means it would cost you about $1.34 more a month to leave it in sleep vs turning off (assuming Apple's figure of .26w/hr turned off). Around here that's barely a cup of cheap coffee.....

Again to each his own. I can only speak to my habits and my situation. I'm not telling anyone what to do. Che Castro asked about our habits and I explained why I do what I do.

ibizan

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Energy savings aside, what about long-term wear on the drives (both platters and SSDs) when one consistently shuts down vs. sleeps the machine?

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
My mac mini power management is stock configured. Before I sleep, i will sleep the mac mini and after 1-2hrs i find that the power light has gone off completely.

So the mac mini has gone into hibernation mode and should be consuming 0w of power?

How is that not energy efficient?

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
My 2012 Mini is hooked up to my HDTV in the living room and it has become my main computer, so I never turn it off. And since it's hooked up to my TV, I don't put the display to sleep either since I do that with my Harmony remote when switching inputs or turning off the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.