Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeandashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
I just bought a jailbroken phone. It was working great. Then I got a message about a software update. I did not know that you could not do this on a jailbroken phone. Please excuse my ignorance of this. So I clicked it and then my phone went to a black screen with the white apple icon for 9 seconds and then goes completely blank for 3 seconds. I have not backed up my phone. I do not care about losing the data, as I had almost nothing on it anyway. All I want is to get it back to being able to work. Can anyone help me, please!!
Thank you:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just bought a jailbroken phone. It was working great. Then I got a message about a software update. I did not know that you could not do this on a jailbroken phone. Please excuse my ignorance of this. So I clicked it and then my phone went to a black screen with the white apple icon for 9 seconds and then goes completely blank for 3 seconds. I have not backed up my phone. I do not care about losing the data, as I had almost nothing on it anyway. All I want is to get it back to being able to work. Can anyone help me, please!!
Thank you:

Restore it through iTunes should be all you need.

mikeandashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Thank you for getting back to me. The problem is that I never backed it up with iTunes, since I recently got it.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
You don't need to have it backed up to the computer in order to do a restore via itunes

Note: you would most likely have to update to iOS 6.1, which there is currently no jailbreak available

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thank you for getting back to me. The problem is that I never backed it up with iTunes, since I recently got it.

You can restore the phone as new without having ever backed up. You said you don't mind losing everything that's on the phone (which is good because you will - you have no backup), but other than that a full restore will get your phone working again just fine.

Since you were trying to update the software, I'm assuming you also don't care much about the phone being jailbroken. If that's the case, you should be good to go. If not, as another user mentioned a jailbreak will hopefully be available by this weekend.

Also, in the future, backup (to both iTunes and iCloud) :D

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Thank you:

you are in a boot loop. Hold down the homebutton and plug it into the computer. Preform a restore which will require you to update. There is not much you can do about your data since you did not back it up, however if you use icloud you can restore from its backup.

mikeandashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Thank you all for the responses. So I did the whole restore thing and now it is on the loop thing again. So it shows the white apple with the black screen for 9 seconds and then all black for 3 seconds.

mikeandashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
I tried to restore and on the 3rd try it worked. Next problem is that since I bought the phone jailbroken I do not have the original SIM card. Is there anything that I can do about this?

mikeandashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
I have an O2 sim card since I live in Germany. My screen says,
"SIM Not Valid
Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.

I was hoping that I could do this on my own without going to the store here in Germany since I got the phone in the US.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I have an O2 sim card since I live in Germany. My screen says,
"SIM Not Valid
Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.

I was hoping that I could do this on my own without going to the store here in Germany since I got the phone in the US.

The phone is locked to a US carrier. Which carrier did it come from?

mikeandashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
I am not sure what carrier it came from as it was bought on Ebay. If I can get a hold of a SIM from AT&T to use just for the activation, would anything happen to that SIM card, like anything be erased or changed on it? Or would it stay the same so that it could still be used just like before with everything still the same as before I used it to activate my phone? Then I would just need to rejailbreak it correct? Any suggestions on how to do that? I have downloaded redsn0w, should that be pretty easy to use? As I said I am not a very techy person?
Thank you very much.

mikeandashley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
An unlocking code, how do I go about buying one of those and is it pretty simple to use?

UnwiredTech

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
An unlocking code, how do I go about buying one of those and is it pretty simple to use?

Try YouTube there are some tutorials on it.

Basically you will buy the code then they will email it you and yoi insert a new sim and it will ask for the unlocking code

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.