Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Share of Worldwide Tablet Shipments Slips to 43.6% in 4Q 2012

Research firm IDC today announced its preliminary estimates of worldwide tablet shipments for the fourth quarter of 2012, finding that Apple's share of the market slipped to 43.6% even as the iPad mini drove a nearly 50% growth in units for the company. Apple had held a 50.4% share in the previous quarter and a 51.7% share in the year-ago quarter.

Quote:
"We expected a very strong fourth quarter, and the market didn't disappoint," said Tom Mainelli, research director, Tablets, at IDC. "New product launches from the category's top vendors, as well as new entrant Microsoft, led to a surge in consumer interest and very robust shipments totals during the holiday season. The record-breaking quarter stands in stark contrast to the PC market, which saw shipments decline during the quarter for the first time in more than five years."

Apple's iPad once again led the market, and the firm's shipment total of 22.9 million units was exactly in line with IDC's forecast for the period. A strong iPad mini launch, plus availability of the fourth generation full-sized iPad, led to solid 48.1% shipment growth over the same quarter last year. However, strong competition in the market led to Apple's market share declining for a second quarter in a row (down to 43.6% from 46.4% last quarter).
Samsung and Asus were the biggest winners in the surging tablet market, with Samsung seeing 263% year-over-year growth to seize 15% of the market. Samsung's share was, however, down from 18.4% in the third quarter.

IDC notes that Microsoft did not qualify for the top five vendors in the fourth quarter, but the company did ship 900,000 units of its Surface tablet with Windows RT. It remains to be seen, however, whether those shipments and the upcoming Surface Pro tablet will translate into strong sales for the company.

Article Link: Apple's Share of Worldwide Tablet Shipments Slips to 43.6% in 4Q 2012
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
SSD-GUY
macrumors member

The end is nigh.
SSD-GUY is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
samcraig
macrumors G5

In with "Who cares about Marketshare - Apple makes the most profits" comment
samcraig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
You forgot "but only Apple reports sales to end users. Shipments are stuck in the retail channel."

Seriously though, if the point of the study is to show Apple is becoming less of a dominant player, both of those comments are legitimate criticisms. Time for the other companies to grow up and stop deceiving us with BS "shipment" numbers.
hayesk is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
You forgot "but only Apple reports sales to end users. Shipments are stuck in the retail channel."

Seriously though, if the point of the study is to show Apple is becoming less of a dominant player, both of those comments are legitimate criticisms. Time for the other companies to grow up and stop deceiving us with BS "shipment" numbers.
I couldn't agree with this more. You would be amazed at the excess inventory of handsets and tablets that Best Buy, carriers, and other national retailers have on a quarterly basis.
webbuzz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I'd like to see whatever 'commission' on Wall Street require for investors end units 'sold' to customers vs 'shipped'...this shipped vs sold is just too deceiving.

They can still report 'shipped' all they want...but they must also report 'sold' to consumer also.

Shipped is such a deceiving metric...look no further then the HP Touchpad. 750K-Million shipped...20K sold before the firesale.
Ryth is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:45 AM   #7
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
I'd like to see whatever 'commission' on Wall Street require for investors end units 'sold' to customers vs 'shipped'...this shipped vs sold is just too deceiving.

They can still report 'shipped' all they want...but they must also report 'sold' to consumer also.

Shipped is such a deceiving metric...look no further then the HP Touchpad. 750K-Million shipped...20K sold before the firesale.
Yes, companies can be deceptive with these numbers, but the problem is that in a channel model when you ship to a partner who sells to the end user (or perhaps first to a distributor who then sells to a retailer who then sells to an end user), unless you've stipulated they report to you their sales figures (that's not something they are always willing to do, because it's corporate sales data, and sometimes they won't know because they ship it to retailers who don't necessarily report data back to them) you might not have any idea what "sell through" is, but only what "sell in" is (sold vs. shipped). And then there are those companies who report no sales unit figures and these poor analysts are supposed to extrapolate from a lot of other data they must obtain and analyse separately, just so we can all discuss who has the biggest share of the pie.
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
Yes, companies can be deceptive with these numbers, but the problem is that in a channel model when you ship to a partner who sells to the end user (or perhaps first to a distributor who then sells to a retailer who then sells to an end user), unless you've stipulated they report to you their sales figures (that's not something they are always willing to do, because it's corporate sales data, and sometimes they won't know because they ship it to retailers who don't necessarily report data back to them) you might not have any idea what "sell through" is, but only what "sell in" is (sold vs. shipped). And then there are those companies who report no sales unit figures and these poor analysts are supposed to extrapolate from a lot of other data they must obtain and analyse separately, just so we can all discuss who has the biggest share of the pie.
I think it needs to be a requirement that the end channels report back to the distributor....

OR

That 'shipped units returned' be reported.
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:08 PM   #9
zephonic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post

Yup, in the 1990's this was a common trick in the record industry to help new albums achieve gold or platinum status by release time.

Press and ship a million units and you're platinum. The publicity that comes with a platinum debut leads to more sales.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Quote:

So what is the result of Android having all that market share?

Right now... Android has 5 TIMES the smartphone market share of the iPhone. Yet the iPhone is as strong as ever. More developers still prefer developing for the iPhone... despite its tiny share of the market.

You'd think with Android at 75% of the market... developers would be all over it. Are they?

So what is the prize Android gets for being the leader in market share?

Is it just being able to say they are #1 ?

I haven't seen Android turn that lead into anything useful.
Michael Scrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:11 PM   #11
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

"Its the ecosystem, stupid."

Apple used to have a 5 year lead over all other cellphone manufacturers. But that was somewhat more than 5 years ago.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

"Its the ecosystem, stupid."
Hmmmm.... so since Android has 5 TIMES the smartphone market share of the iPhone.... developers must prefer Android, right?

Not that I've seen.

Ah... so maybe accessory makers are now throwing themselves at Android's 75% market share.

I haven't seen that either... far from it actually.

Ok... well then the Google Play Music Store must the be largest retailer of online music. With Android phones having such a HUGE share of the market... they must be buying more music.

Nope.

Well crap. How about movies? There are zillions of Android devices out there. They gotta be renting more movies.

Not even close. iTunes has 45% of the online rental market... with Amazon a distant 18%... (Google isn't even listed)

What was that about Android's ecosystem? And how their HUGE market share is somehow a benefit?
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:54 PM   #13
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Right now... Android has 5 TIMES the smartphone market share of the iPhone. Yet the iPhone is as strong as ever. More developers still prefer developing for the iPhone... despite its tiny share of the market.

You'd think with Android at 75% of the market... developers would be all over it. Are they?

So what is the prize Android gets for being the leader in market share?

Is it just being able to say they are #1 ?

I haven't seen Android turn that lead into anything useful.
Spot on with this post. My thoughts exactly when it comes to Android's large marketshare.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 PM   #14
incubi26
macrumors newbie

I love reading the responses on these forums. It's entertaining. There is brand loyalty and there is a cult following. Some of the responses are unfortunately of the latter. People shouldn't take things so seriously and look at things with an open mind. Don't give yourself an heart attack.
incubi26 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:29 AM   #15
tzeshan
macrumors regular

I think a more meaningful metric is comparing the total revenue of each manufacturer got from the tablets.
tzeshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:39 PM   #16
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why have a problem with that statement when it's true? Anyone with common sense would have been able to see Apple would not be able to maintain their market share with an onslaught of new tablets being released from competitors. I'm sure Apple knew that they could not maintain that share and I doubt they're sweating it.

I find it hilarious that some people expect Apple to maintain some ridiculous % forever while competing against so many Android based tablets it's become hard to keep track of them all.
3N16MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:07 AM   #17
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
And this is all that matters to a smart business.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:13 AM   #18
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And this is all that matters to a smart business.
No argument. My snark comment was based on common responses in this forum. Not reality.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:33 AM   #19
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No argument. My snark comment was based on common responses in this forum. Not reality.
I see I see. It all makes sense now. Thank you.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:04 AM   #20
abhishake
macrumors regular

Samsung the new Apple?

^at least a few articles with that title are about to be written.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:05 AM   #21
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

I still love my iPad...?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:06 AM   #22
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Good. Make the stock slip more so I can get in at a reasonable level.
Intarweb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:10 AM   #23
monkor
Banned

I used to not really see the point in the 10-inch tablet, but then I bought an Asus Transformer along with the keyboard dock. There's innovation to be had in the tablet arena, and these hybrid "convertible" kind of tablets may well be the future. Asus is selling them quite well. I can use the thing heavily and still have plenty of battery life left thanks to there being two batteries in the dock itself and the tablet. It's crazy, but it has all but replaced my laptop.

I used to scoff at the idea, but I'd love it if Apple had some type of keyboard addition just to shake things up. The iPad with a keyboard dock that very, very easily attaches and detaches would be incredibly potent..
monkor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:10 AM   #24
BC2009
macrumors 68000

IDC exaggerating Samsung's performance again in their estimates.

Never mind what Apple did, Asus makes the Nexus 7. Amazon makes the Kindle tablets. Now ask yourself how many Galaxy Tabs you have seen in people's hands compared to Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. Galaxy Tabs sell at two and three times the price of the Nexus 7 and Kindle.

iPads are everywhere. I went to Disneyland for New Years and people were standing in line for rides playing with iPads. It floored me. I asked one couple about it and they were from Australia. They said it was their cheapest way to get internet connectivity. Another couple I saw did not speak English -- they were from China and their iPad min was displaying everything in Chinese.

I did not see any Kindles or Nexus 7 tablets at Disneyland - and certainly no Galaxy Tabs. This could have been because Kindle and Nexus 7 simply don't have cellular connectivity at the low-end prices at which they normally sell, but I have seen plenty of those tablets out and about in other places since people use them for reading. I never see a Galaxy Tab. In fact, the last time I saw a Galaxy Tab that was not on a store shelf or being offered as a free promotion with a Samsung TV was over a year ago.

There is no way Galaxy Tab is out-selling the Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle Fire. These estimates for Samsung are insanely high. Even Android fans attest to the Nexus 7 being the most popular Android tablet.

Last edited by BC2009; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
BC2009 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:41 AM   #25
AaronEdwards
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post
IDC exaggerating Samsung's performance again in their estimates.

Never mind what Apple did, Asus makes the Nexus 7. Amazon makes the Kindle tablets. Now ask yourself how many Galaxy Tabs you have seen in people's hands compared to Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. Galaxy Tabs sell at two and three times the price of the Nexus 7 and Kindle.

iPads are everywhere. I went to Disneyland for New Years and people were standing in line for rides playing with iPads. It floored me. I asked one couple about it and they were from Australia. They said it was their cheapest way to get internet connectivity. Another couple I saw did not speak English -- they were from China and their iPad min was displaying everything in Chinese.

I did not see any Kindles or Nexus 7 tablets at Disneyland - and certainly no Galaxy Tabs. This could have been because Kindle and Nexus 7 simply don't have cellular connectivity at the low-end prices at which they normally sell, but I have seen plenty of those tablets out and about in other places since people use them for reading. I never see a Galaxy Tab. In fact, the last time I saw a Galaxy Tab that was not on a store shelf or being offered as a free promotion with a Samsung TV was over a year ago.

There is no way Galaxy Tab is out-selling the Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle Fire. These estimates for Samsung are insanely high. Even Android fans attest to the Nexus 7 being the most popular Android tablet.
Did you notice that this are worldwide tablet shipments? What you see or not see is, even if you travel around a lot, worthless. (If you travel around a lot it would still only be anecdotal evidence, thus still worthless.)

Edit:

Quote:
This must be mostly outside of the US, because I rarely see a non-iPad in the wild. I have dozens of friends with tablets, and I would say maybe 3-4 have non-iPads. I have a hard time believing these numbers, but certainly in the US, it's far higher than 43.6%.
More, worthless, anecdotal evidence.

Last edited by AaronEdwards; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
AaronEdwards is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion