Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mockups of a 4.94-Inch 'iPhone Plus' Show Why a Larger iPhone Might Make Sense

Amid rumors of a significantly larger "iPhone Math", Instapaper developer Marco Arment has spent time developing some speculation and a few mockups showing how Apple could achieve an iPhone with a nearly 5-inch without disrupting the existing app ecosystem.
Quote:
The recently rumored, larger-screened "iPhone Math", or more likely "iPhone Plus", is plausible as an additional model (not a replacement) alongside the 4" iPhone. And there's a good chance that it would have a 4.94", 16:9 screen.

The theory is easy to understand: perform John Gruber's Mini-predicting math backwards. The iPad Mini uses iPhone 3GS-density screens at iPad resolution. What if an iPhone Plus used Retina iPad screens with iPhone 5 resolution, keeping the rest of the design sized like an iPhone 5?
In the scenario put forth by Arment, an 1136x640 screen matching the iPhone 5's resolution but blown up to the Retina iPad's 264 pixels-per-inch resolution would measure 4.94 inches diagonally.

Left to right: iPhone 5, Galaxy S III, "iPhone Plus", Galaxy Note II
Arment notes that such an iPhone Plus maintaining the same relative proportions as the iPhone 5 but with the larger screen would measure somewhere between the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note II, but that Apple would likely be able to trim down the chin and forehead of the device somewhat to bring the device closer to the Galaxy S III's overall size.

At an iPad-like pixel density of 264 ppi, Apple could have a hard time positioning the iPhone Plus as a Retina device given that a phone is assumed to be held closer to the eye than a tablet, but some consumers may still prefer the option of having a larger screen to offer more flexibility such as being able to zoom out further on text or view small text with the device held further from the eye.

Arment offers several other mockups showing what Apple's iOS device lineup would look like with a larger iPhone in it, as well as how users could take advantage of smaller font sizes on the larger screen to show more text.

Article Link: Mockups of a 4.94-Inch 'iPhone Plus' Show Why a Larger iPhone Might Make Sense
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
mcfrazieriv
macrumors member

Why did anyone actually waste their time in making these composites?

Added:
Originally Posted by burnside: "Why did you waste your time with that comment?"

Because it isn't a waste of time to stop and wonder why people would take time to do what has historically not worked in the past? Apple nearly died when they decided that innovation wasn't as important as providing choice. Remember the early 90's when there were so many Apple models that had only one or two differences and how each of these models clouded/confused the customer?

Last edited by mcfrazieriv; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
mcfrazieriv is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

4" is here to stay for a while.
ECUpirate44 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

I'll get one
Michael Scrip is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
impulse462
macrumors 65816

4.2" seems like the sweet spot to me. Anything above 4.5" is just too large for a phone imo.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse462 View Post
4.2" seems like the sweet spot to me. Anything above 4.5" is just too large for a phone imo.
Yes I dont know how I cope walking about with this Plasma TV in my pocket. Look how dinky the iPhone 5 looks next to it.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
burnside
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Yes I dont know how I cope walking about with this Plasma TV in my pocket. Look how dinky the iPhone 5 looks next to it.

LMAO. I like the 4" screen, but I would not hesitate to see how a near 5" screen iPhone would be. I've handled the Galaxy Note and thought it was too big, but a Galaxy sized iPhone might be something I can get used to.
burnside is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:31 PM   #8
macse30
macrumors regular

Math sucks
macse30 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:46 PM   #9
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
I've handled the Galaxy Note and thought it was too big, but a Galaxy sized iPhone might be something I can get used to.
I've handled a Galaxy Note 2 and I thought it was too small. I ended up buying iPad mini. It's slightly too big, but much better than the way too small iPhone 3GS I had before.
shurcooL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:16 AM   #10
dreadnort
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
LMAO. I like the 4" screen, but I would not hesitate to see how a near 5" screen iPhone would be. I've handled the Galaxy Note and thought it was too big, but a Galaxy sized iPhone might be something I can get used to.
This makes no sense

A galaxy note is to big but an iphone the same size as the galaxy would be ok
dreadnort is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:

To each his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	393861  
Mactendo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Trius
macrumors 6502a

All the people that instantly bash the idea crack me up.. If/When Apple releases a larger iPhone, you'll buy it just like everyone else..
Trius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:25 AM   #13
olegandbuster25
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to olegandbuster25
Quote:

i dont see anything dinky. for one your image on the iphone is on safari so the lower bar makes the image look smaller as to where on your phone the icons overlap your image. also the huge black buttons underneath the screen have and effect of making your screen look bigger but its not any taller than the iphones, its just really wide... which looks awfully hard to use with one hand...

sticking with the 5
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:29 AM   #14
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Are the aspect ratios the same? If not you're comparing Apples with bananas.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:

I wish the phone on the left was made by Apple. I would buy it. It is sad how Samsung can offer such a diverse set of products, while Apple cannot offer even a relatively basic product differentiation (and no, having a 3.5" and 4" screens doesn't count).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
A phone is supposed to be a ultra-portable, pocket sized device, not a tablet which TBH I concede 5" as.
A phone is supposed to be what a customer wants it to be. If there are enough customers, a manufacturer should cater to their needs. Samsung does that; Apple does not. Samsung's gain is Apple's loss.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:33 PM   #16
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just add a phone speaker and mic to the iPad mini and call it good. Then Apple will have an iPhone BIGGER than the Galaxy Note!!!! And they won't even need a new product.

I'm holding out for the iCarly-style pearpad .. The one that has a 24" screen!!!
mabhatter is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:57 AM   #17
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
A Galaxy S III can comfortably sit in my jeans pocket.

Oh, I'm not wearing skinny jeans so it would fit.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:21 AM   #18
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Anything bigger than 3.5 inches is WAY too big to fit into a pocket, unless you are one of those Android freaks who have clown pants and a man purse.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:23 AM   #19
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Anything bigger than 3.5 inches is WAY too big to fit into a pocket, unless you are one of those Android freaks who have clown pants and a man purse.
Cargo pants! The mans or woman's answer to a purse.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:21 AM   #20
cwwilson
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My phone is 4.8" and it fits fine in every day jeans. What you said is highly ignorant and may god help your poor soul.
cwwilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:31 AM   #21
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You mean : " unless you wear sissy skinny jeans any smartphone from 3.5 to 5" will fit a jeans pocket"
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:48 AM   #22
mikeorchard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
Just look at they number for Sammy. S3 and note 2

Yes there are lot of lost opportunity by not offering multiple sizes
Look at the stock. End of discussion
That argument is invalid though, because Samsung don't offer a device with the same specifications as the S3 and Note 2 in a smaller size. You have no reference point to compare the sales figures. People buying the S3 and other large Android cannot be construed to mean that there is demand for large phones, because smaller iPhones are still selling by the millions too. It simply means that well specced Android phones are selling well, it just so happens that the best specced Android phones all have large screens. If Samsung made a 4" phone with the specs of the S3, I'm guessing it would sell equally as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k995 View Post
You mean : " unless you wear sissy skinny jeans any smartphone from 3.5 to 5" will fit a jeans pocket"
I wear regular jeans and sitting down the HTC One X in my pocket wasn't as comfortable and I was always aware of it's presence. With the iPhone 5, I can't tell it's there unless it vibrates or rings.
mikeorchard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:23 AM   #23
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Agreed. I mean we are talking about a PHONE here. I really hate that Android phones are starting to look like tablets. 4" is a good enough screen size for the iPhone. I don't play any games, so I guess if I did, I wouldn't be so opposed to having a bigger screen.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nburwell View Post
Agreed. I mean we are talking about a PHONE here. I really hate that Android phones are starting to look like tablets. 4" is a good enough screen size for the iPhone. I don't play any games, so I guess if I did, I wouldn't be so opposed to having a bigger screen.
It is also for watching hours and hours of movies! (sarcastic)

I will use my iphone for some you tube, that is a few minutes here or there, the only real time I would use it for a movie is if the power is out and I want something to do.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:51 AM   #25
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
It is also for watching hours and hours of movies! (sarcastic)

I will use my iphone for some you tube, that is a few minutes here or there, the only real time I would use it for a movie is if the power is out and I want something to do.
I do watch an ocassional YouTube video on my phone. But in no way does my iPhone hinder me from watching it. I don't think I could watch a movie on my phone. My eyes are bad enough as it is.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion