Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple in Talks to Bring HBO Go to the Apple TV

Apple is in talks with HBO to bring that company's HBO Go video streaming service to the Apple TV, reports Bloomberg. HBO Go is a streaming service that allows HBO subscribers to watch HBO content on PCs, tablets, consoles, and other platforms.

Bloomberg:
Quote:
Apple Inc. is in negotiations to start carrying Time Warner Inc.'s HBO Go application on Apple TV by mid-2013, according to two people familiar with the plans.

Cable and satellite subscribers who pay for HBO will be able to watch more than 600 hours of films and television shows on Apple TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.
Currently, Netflix and Hulu Plus are the only subscription service that Apple allows on its Apple TV box, while HBO Go is available on the iPhone and the iPad.

There have been numerous rumors in recent years about Apple's plans for the television, but CEO Tim Cook has been cagey about details other than repeatedly saying that television is "an area of intense interest" for the company

Article Link: Apple in Talks to Bring HBO Go to the Apple TV
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Good. Hope than can get MaxGo too.
sinsin07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Come one. Come all.
lazyrighteye is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Pianoblack3
macrumors regular

I want Apple TV to be like Sky, but better!
Pianoblack3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:06 PM   #5
dizastor
macrumors 6502a

They keep pulling the string...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
lesreaper2009
macrumors member

Amazon Prime Please

Thank you.
lesreaper2009 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:14 PM   #7
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizastor View Post
They keep pulling the string...
Sorry but everytime I read that line I keep thinking of something far more disgusting and I do not want to know what comes out after the string...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:04 PM   #8
marc11
macrumors 68000

This is a nice step, I like where this is going recently. Come on Apple more content, more global content too!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:05 PM   #9
bushido
macrumors 601

tunein radio & spotify would be pretty neat as well
bushido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:25 PM   #10
MagnumOP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Airplay
MagnumOP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:28 PM   #11
MagnumOP
macrumors regular

Adding HBO Go is almost pointless. You can only get HBO Go if you subscribe to a TV package that includes HBO. So, this will in no way help any of us "cut the cord."

And... by the way, the main article states that only Netflix and Hulu are available. This is not true. You can also stream sporting events from several leagues.
MagnumOP is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumOP View Post
And... by the way, the main article states that only Netflix and Hulu are available. This is not true. You can also stream sporting events from several leagues.
Only non-local games. Regional coverage and primetime games are blocked, which means cutting the cable isn't a viable option in the slightest.

Apple is nowhere close to getting me to cutting the cable, and people who think that purchasing channels a la carte is better for them don't understand how content creators work. ESPN isn't going to sell you ESPN; it is going to sell you the ESPN Package: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, LHN.....for a higher price. A lower priced option won't be available.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:47 PM   #13
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

24Hz/fps and Plex, please!
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:16 PM   #14
flux73
macrumors 6502a

WOOHOO!!! GIGGITY GIGGITY!!!

This is the moment I've been waiting for!!!
flux73 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:20 PM   #15
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Adding HBO Go is almost pointless. You can only get HBO Go if you subscribe to a TV package that includes HBO. So, this will in no way help any of us "cut the cord."
Presumably, HBO Go on the Apple TV will not require a cable prescription. If so, you're right that would render this deal pointless.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:26 PM   #16
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Presumably, HBO Go on the Apple TV will not require a cable prescription. If so, you're right that would render this deal pointless.
It does require it. That's how it works right now. HBO knows where it's bread is buttered.

If somehow that lock is broken, I would expect a fee of at least double what HBO plus access to this app costs now... probably more than double.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:57 AM   #17
RobNYC
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
It will. HBO Go is still only for HBO subscribers.
RobNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:

It would be a benefit to me if they offer HBO Go in HD on the ATV, because I don't have HD service through DirecTV.
Irishman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:43 PM   #19
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:

And... by the way, the main article states that only Netflix and Hulu are available. This is not true. You can also stream sporting even from several leagues.
Ur statement makes no sense. Obviously if u don't have HBO, HBO go would be "pointless" That's like me saying heated mirrors on a Ferrari are pointless for those of us that don't have Ferrari's.

I have HBO, therefore HBO Go is awesome for me. And Apple TV incorporating it is even more awesome.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:43 AM   #20
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Ur statement makes no sense. Obviously if u don't have HBO, HBO go would be "pointless" That's like me saying heated mirrors on a Ferrari are pointless for those of us that don't have Ferrari's.

I have HBO, therefore HBO Go is awesome for me. And Apple TV incorporating it is even more awesome.
This post is why cable/sat sucks. Why don't you people wake up?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:55 PM   #21
ScruffyS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
That'd be sweet.. oh, and Last.fm support too
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:28 AM   #22
medi.freak
macrumors regular

Quote:
spotify would be so sweet
8Gb iPod Nano 3G
medi.freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Catch up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medi.freak View Post
spotify would be so sweet
It is already on Roku.

I just don't get it, why is it always a big deal with Apple? This is like this whole deal with iTunes Match, were Apple went through everyone and their mama while both Amazon and Google already launched their cloud services, and then did what Apple did a couple of months later on their own terms, not the recording industry terms. What did Apple get? Praises from the music industry for 'doing it right'?

Roku has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Amazon Cloud Player, Spotify, Pandora, Flex, Crackle, ESPN, and hundreds of international and content channels, plus the ability to stream any content from any PC, and the higher end model has a USB port downloaded content. Why is Apple TV so behind?
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:47 AM   #24
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
It is already on Roku.

I just don't get it, why is it always a big deal with Apple? This is like this whole deal with iTunes Match, were Apple went through everyone and their mama while both Amazon and Google already launched their cloud services, and then did what Apple did a couple of months later on their own terms, not the recording industry terms. What did Apple get? Praises from the music industry for 'doing it right'?

Roku has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Amazon Cloud Player, Spotify, Pandora, Flex, Crackle, ESPN, and hundreds of international and content channels, plus the ability to stream any content from any PC, and the higher end model has a USB port downloaded content. Why is Apple TV so behind?
Because, in general, Apple wants to dictate very strict terms while the other guys are generally more cooperative. Apple wants to completely own decisions like price- as if one piece of media is equal to all other similar pieces of media. Is William Shatner's version of Space Oddity at $1.29 really equal in value to David Bowie's original? How about Shat's Rocket Man vs. Elton John's original?

A partner like Netflix lays out big coin up front to woo video players to play ball. Apple generally wants to woo solely on the revenue potential of a cut AFTER Apple takes it's cut first. I've seen decision-maker executives on the video side comment that they'd love to do a deal with Apple but "Apple wants everything" (meaning extraordinarily good deal for Apple but little-to-nothing for 'us').

And, all of the video players have seen what happens when you help Apple gain heavy domination over an industry. They don't want to find themselves in the same type of spot as their music industry cousins. Apple wouldn't even allow owners/creators of music to set their own prices of their own products. The video guys (and music guys too) would rather feel some pain by helping many other players be successful instead of just handing it all over to Apple.

Lastly, in Roku's case, that's their primary business. They are focused on making that as appealing as possible. They are not distracted by iDevices and computers and proprietary connectors and lawsuits, etc. Instead, they are focused on trying to do this kind of thing as right as they can do it. Apple refers to TV as a "hobby" (even 6 years on since releasing the first one) and they keep "pulling the string to see where it takes us" rather than getting very serious about it.

Apple easily has the resources to put at least as many human resources on forging deals as a much smaller company like Roku does. Apple easily has the cash resources to out-spend Netflix to "grease the wheels" with industry players to get major content deals done. IMO, it's mostly a lack of focus on this part of the whole. And too bad if true, as I think the whole market is theirs for the taking if they would just get very serious about going after it.

I suspect they are fixated on trying to make the (very pro-Apple) music deal again in a changed world where the next big target can clearly see the flaws in that deal for the Studios. Even the music industry hasn't allowed Apple to roll out any kind of Pandora-like subscription option yet, in spite of that rumor flying for what: 4+ years now? Why is that so hard to get done? Perhaps because Apple is a tough partner and the content owner's side of a "win:win" doesn't have enough win in it vs. doing such deals with others.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Feb 1, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:53 AM   #25
xforce11
macrumors member

I would gladly cut the cord if I could subscribe to my local channels (and PBS stations) and 15 or so other networks. Maybe Apple can get HBO Go to no HBO cable subscribers that would be a plus and the start of independence from cable lock-ins.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion