Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Anybody done this?

Now the question comes how to get this promo code? This promo code is provided by Microsoft to the customers who purchased a Windows 7 PC after June 2, 2012 as mentioned here.

Although this offer is valid only for the customers who qualify the above mentioned condition but it seems currently the offer is working for everyone. At the moment anyone can get a free promo code and can use it while purchasing Windows 8 to get the big discount.

You just need to follow these simple steps to get the promo code:

1. Go to following official Windows 8 upgrade offer page:

Windows 8 Upgrade Offer from Microsoft

2. Click on your country name.

3. Now click on "Continue" button present at next page.

4. Now you'll need to fill the given form. You just need to enter your name, email ID, telephone number and a few details about your existing Windows 7 PC such as date of purchase, PC brand and model number. Although you should enter the correct details but it seems the form doesn't check the validity of the details and you can enter any information but the date of purchase should be greater than June 2, 2012.

5. Click on "Continue" button and you should get your free promo code in your Inbox.

You can register up to a maximum of 5 PCs to get more than one promo code.

So initially the upgrade offer was introduced for Windows 7 PC owners who purchased the PC after June 2, 2012 but now anyone can get its benefit. May be its an intentional move from Microsoft to encourage more people to purchase Windows 8 legally as it costs very less amount using the promo code in comparison of the actual cost of Windows 8 i.e. $39.99 for digital download and $69.99 for DVD shipment.

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
I did this on my Windows 7, Downloaded 8, Burned to dvd, swapped out the SSD for a 500 gig HD and clean installed using the serial i bought for 15 and never used 8 after.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
I just tried it and it did not give me the option to enter info about win 7 and purchase date etc., so it is not gonna send me a promo code.but it is giving me the option to add the dvd for 14.99 for a total cost of 54ish

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
All that stuff i said before

But i'm not sure if even this will be relevant in a couple hours. Since W8 is taking a price hike (Amazing sales and all you know)
/s

----------

I just tried it and it did not give me the option to enter info about win 7 and purchase date etc., so it is not gonna send me a promo code.but it is giving me the option to add the dvd for 14.99 for a total cost of 54ish

Yeah, just enter that your computer is something like a Dell and purchased after (I believe) september 2012 Safer to say you bought it december. But where you may run into trouble is if (and that's a huge if) they ask for the key for your Windows 7

----------

I just tried it. I guess that MS got wise to tricks and now do things different. it should still work with microsoft download manager.. but not likely to be able to do a clean install.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
My OP insinuated u could get win 8 pro for as little as 14.99, but i never got the win 7 questions, purchase date screen etc that would have enabled Msoft to send me a promo code. So if I download 8 to my sony vaio and then iso to my mac via usb stick there is no reason for me to pay 14.99 extra for dvd. Right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.