Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi,

I have read the various posts concerning the ongoing HDMI issues with the 2012 Mac Mini when attached to various monitors. I'm using a HDMI to HDMI cable on a Mac Mini and the colors look white washed, example you open up a folder in list view you can not see the light blue colored rows that should appear. Text also looks very blurry / jagged.

After calibration or using a calibration file, setting the contrast, brightness and RGB the colors still look very poor. You have applied latest apple updates but does not fix color or text issues.

Have your color problems been resolved when using:
  • Thunderbolt / Mini display to HDMI adapter ?
  • Thunderbolt / Mini display to VGA adapter?
  • Thunderbolt / Mini display to DVI adapter?

And does your color problems persist when using:

• HDMI to HDMI ?
  • HDMI to DVI ?
  • HDMI to VGA ?

does anyone know if OSX 10.8.3 (BETA) update resolves the problem ?

Also what monitor are you using, does the same happen with an Apple Display HDMI to HDMI ?

Last edited:

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Well I was complaining about the same thing on another post in this side of the forum a few days ago and was basically told by a know-it-all that it was my fault. I was using either a crappy HDMI cable, or my computer was defective, or some such nonsense.

I've simply given up on it and have been using the DVI port. Text and colors are crisp and excellent.

slickadam

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Germany & Hungary
both the HDMI and TB ports are "fine"...

BUT

using them with HDMI cable is still f####d up.
so... HDMI-to-HDMI or TB-to-HDMI still looks bad.
HDMI-to-VGA, HDMI-to-DVI, TB-to-VGA, ... are good.

and i also have problems with the resolutions. my mini can detect neither my plasma tv's nor my LCD monitor's correct resolution using HDMI.

cd1234567

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Hi,

I have read the various posts concerning the ongoing HDMI issues with the 2012 Mac Mini when attached to various monitors. I'm using a HDMI to HDMI cable on a Mac Mini and the colors look white washed, example you open up a folder in list view you can not see the light blue colored rows that should appear. Text also looks very blurry / jagged.

After calibration or using a calibration file, setting the contrast, brightness and RGB the colors still look very poor. You have applied latest apple updates but does not fix color or text issues.

Have your color problems been resolved when using:
  • Thunderbolt / Mini display to HDMI adapter ?
  • Thunderbolt / Mini display to VGA adapter?
  • Thunderbolt / Mini display to DVI adapter?

And does your color problems persist when using:

• HDMI to HDMI ?
  • HDMI to DVI ?
  • HDMI to VGA ?

does anyone know if OSX 10.8.3 (BETA) update resolves the problem ?

Also what monitor are you using, does the same happen with an Apple Display HDMI to HDMI ?

I had similar problem before. I use dual monitors. Now they are working fine. My setup is like:

Hdmi-dvi converter to dvi monitor 1
Minidisplay-dvi to dvi monitor 2

I had problem with thunderbolt-dvi converter. So I exchanged it for Minidisplay-dvi converter. It works fine now. Btw, I also have osx updated.

glasgood

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I have tried using a HDMI to VGA cable but it did not work, my monitor does not recognize it.

Having recently contacted Apple UK and explained in detail about the problem they have decided to send me out a Thunderbolt / Mini Display to HDMI adapter to see it can temporary resolve the problem until 10.08.3 is released. Fingers crossed X.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
On behalf of a fraction of the viewers who looked but didn't reply: Nothing useful to add.

I can say that not all HDMI cables are made the same. For about 2 years I thought the HDMI out on my XBOX360 was broken because I tried two (cheap) HDMI cables and got no video. I used a different Microsoft adapter that went component out....until I was in a situation where I couldn't do component.

I spent $$ on a brand name HDMI cable, and my video popped up.

The other reason some of us didn't post: Our HDMI out from our Mini looks fine. I'm using an offbrand LCD with HD resolution and have no problems.

I'd say, if ALL else fails, just for giggles try a different cable.

SixSidedStudio

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
Palm Beach Gardens Florida
I had the same issues with a 2012 mac mini connected HDMI -> HDMI to a Samsung 27" monitor. The monitor was a cheap one from costco. I tried using a mini-displayport to HDMI adapter and all the HDMI cables I own, some cheap & some name-brand and nothing would fix it. When I connected my 2010 macbook pro to the same monitor with the same adapter/cables the colors were perfect. If you search around I remember posts where people talked about this a lot.

The only thing that fixed my situation was buying a thunderbolt display!! But that was thunderbolt -> thunderbolt. Needless to say I returned the mac mini and thunderbolt display and ordered a 27" iMac.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Ive been using mine now for 2 days solid while i installed everything to my new mac mini using hdmi-hdmi on a 24' Phillips Moda and have not had one issue. Colours are vibrant and runs like a dream.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 19.40.02.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 19.40.02.png
    2 MB · Views: 765

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
BUMP, over 150 views and not one answer Hmmm :)

Probably because SOME of us have already replied in those "other threads" you mentioned and you created a new one instead that some of us didn't know existed (I usually stick to news items unless looking for something or seeing something in the side bar of interest).

Washed out colors still sounds like a calibration problem to me. Almost every computer (Mac or not) I've used looks "washed out" when I first connect it to a new monitor. The display output must be calibrated for that monitor and flatscreens, IMO need it more than older CRTs. Some monitors need more attention than others, though, it seems and I think this (along with precision matching) is why there's an "advanced" calibration available. Personally, I think NVidia's calibration tools for Windows are SO much easier to calibrate quickly and accurately, but it can be done with some squinting and a light headache on the Mac as well.

My Insignia combo HDTV/Monitor looked AWFUL with BOTH my TB/MDP output and my HDMI output until I used ADVANCED calibration (and it took a few tries to get it to match another brand monitor in terms of color exactness and it's still not 100% for blue, but I blame this on the monitor as it's kind of cheap). Regular calibration looked good on my AOC and LG monitors with either output, but they looked BETTER with advanced calibration.

My 2012 Mac Mini had random momentary blackout problems with HDMI (not sure if TB/MDP did as well as I got my adapter in the mail long after I did the firmware update and I haven't seen a blackout happen since the update. Color calibration remained constant throughout and output from both ports are exactly the same as each other on each monitor I tried (three in total). Text is sharp and colors are accurate after calibration and setting fonts to LCD smoothing in the General Preferences. In short, it's rock solid/sharp/accurate on HDMI and TB/DP outputs here and I have two monitors connected at the same time as well.

Connection wise, I've used/tried HDMI to HDMI, HDMI to DVI adapter, TB/MDP to HDMI adapter and TB/MDP to HDMI adapter to the HDMI to DVI adapter (i.e. two adapters combined together to get to DVI from TB/MDP) and all combinations worked fine. I can also confirm that mirroring over WiFi to a generation 2 AppleTV worked perfectly as well.

I'm running 10.8.2 with 8GB of Apple memory with the 2.3GHz Quad Intel i7 Server edition. I haven't had a SINGLE kernel panic/crash yet on this thing. It has been running now 25 days now continuously without a reboot and that last boot was only because I shut it down while away for a week). That's not bad for a brand new computer running a fairly new version of OSX. I did obviously have to reboot for the firmware update as well.

In that regard, so far it's possibly the most stable Mac I've ever owned (although my PowerMac PPC machine was probably just as stable when it had a stable verison of iTunes running; a bad version would cause it to panic almost daily and I so I learned to save/revert when that would happen to a stable version since towards the end they didn't pay a lot of time debugging the PPC builds, although the final version released for it was rock solid. Certainly it ran for months at a time without any reboots under those conditions, but then I regularly run VMWare and other harsh conditions on the new Mac whereas the PPC one mostly just ran a browser, e-mail and the iTunes server for the past few years, being largely out of date for other things. But that was also the most stable version of Leopard we're talking about, not an early version of it like Mountain Lion 10.8.2 is here).

Boomcha

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Toronto
10.8.3 BETA 12D65 Fixes it!

Hi everyone, I was having the same issues as people here but I downloaded the 10.8.3 BETA and it fixes the HDMI to TV issues with the really ugly jaggy fonts on a 2012 i7 Mac Mini.

I have a 2010 Mini that is getting replaced by this i7 version and I knew it wasn't the TV giving me issues.

The 2010 Mini was running 10.8.2 as well and it looked great, but the 2012 i7 Mini did not. I took the chance and installed 10.8.3 BETA 12D65 and VERY happy to report that it fixes those font issues and the lines in the list view mode in finder issues too.

Can't wait until the official thing comes out so that everyone can enjoy it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Hi everyone, I was having the same issues as people here but I downloaded the 10.8.3 BETA and it fixes the HDMI to TV issues with the really ugly jaggy fonts on a 2012 i7 Mac Mini.

Has anyone posted a picture of these jaggy fonts? I've never seen any such thing on my 2012 Mini (before or after the firmware update) or on either output.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Has anyone posted a picture of these jaggy fonts? I've never seen any such thing on my 2012 Mini (before or after the firmware update) or on either output.

It all depends on your monitor. The problem, as has been stated in numerous threads on numerous sites, is that many monitors are being improperly detected as televisions, which causes underscanning and/or overscanning to be enabled, which causes blurry text, crushed whites, and a host of other problems.

The solution is to find a way to make the Mini see your monitor or TV as a monitor, with no under or over scanning at all. On many monitors, there is a way to fix this, either by disabling underscanning or overscanning on the monitor and Mini, or setting the monitor in what has come to be known as "PC" mode. The only problem is that not everyone is able to figure out how to do this, because each monitor is different and doesn't always make the setting obvious.

The other solution is to use a DVI or VGA adapter, and the reason the adapter works is because overscan/underscan is disabled by default via those connections.

TL;DR The 2012 Mac Mini often automatically assumes that a TV is connected via HDMI. You have to make it see a computer monitor, not a TV.

Sean869

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Dorset, United Kingdom
I have the problem of my Mini thinking my monitor is a TV. I have tried everything and I can see no setting on my Mac or the Monitor to chnage this. So i'm still suffering from rubbish colours.

I have an AOC i2353 23" IPS Monitor.

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I have underscan set to off on my mini and overscan set to off on my monitor (these are the two options available that I can see in both cases) and I still get a bad display/crushed whites etc. I didn't have to change them to that - that's what they were already set at.

I have an LG IPS225 monitor.

I am going to try minidisplay to vga and minidisplay to dvi instead (when I have the right cables/adapters) and pick which seems best for the time being.

I have also tried calibration changing as well. As I said on another thread I rang Apple Care yesterday and they admitted hdmi display issues were still a problem for some mini owners but others had had theirs fixed by the previous update. They are expecting (hoping?) the next update will work.

Seems like boomcha has had some luck with the os 10.8.3 beta.

Previously I had an ancient PC connected to this monitor and the colours were fine instantly.

Last edited:

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i think this problem has to do with the contrast ratio on these hdtv. many hdtv's have a low ratio, unlike a true monitor. I was looking at todays sunday best buy circular. I noticed their monitors have contrast ratio's from 5,000,000 : 1 to 100,000,000 : 1!!!!! Theyre also cheaper

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It all depends on your monitor. The problem,
as has been stated in numerous threads on numerous sites is that many monitors are being improperly detected as televisions, which

This is the first time I've seen it suggested as the cause of ALL the problems. I've mentioned myself the overscan setting potentially causing potential blurry text, but that's easily corrected.

causes underscanning and/or overscanning to be enabled, which causes blurry text, crushed whites, and a host of other problems.

I've seen the underscan/overscan thing with my Insignia TV/Monitor. I realize some monitors might not have a control to turn it off (this one certainly does), but the underscan slider appears with HDMI output in the video preferences and its entire purpose is to compensate for the overscan setting on televisions (i.e. underscan can correct overscan). Since my monitor can turn overscan off, I can leave the underscan off as well. But if I turn overscan back on and pretend I can't disable it, the underscan slider in preferences easily corrects it with a slight adjustment (for those that can't manage to find it, it's right under "rotation" in Display Preferences. However, it won't appear on DVI output, but it will appear with HDMI from either the HDMI output or a Mini-Display Port to HDMI. In other words, if it's using the HDMI protocol, it will appear.)

And sorry, but colors/whites have NOTHING to do with overscan settings and you can plainly see posts here that indicate no improvement with those monitors. Careful advanced color correction here solved any color imbalances on my INSIGNIA TV used as a monitor, but I suspect some are having some other problem entirely, but it's hard to say when I haven't seen their attempts at color correction. The Insignia was much harder to match my LG and AOC monitors (I had to adjust TINT on the monitor itself afterwards to get a near perfect match, but there are no "crushed whites" or "blurry" fonts)

The solution is to find a way to make the Mini see your monitor or TV as a monitor, with no under or over scanning at all. On many monitors, there is a way to fix this, either by disabling underscanning or overscanning on the monitor and Mini, or setting the monitor in what has come to be known as "PC" mode. The only problem is that not everyone is able to figure out how to do this, because each monitor is different and doesn't always make the setting obvious.

Like I said, it doesn't matter if the monitor has the setting or not. The preferences panel UNDERSCAN setting can correct for it regardless. It's also very important to make sure the output is the NATIVE display resolution or one will likely not get perfectly sharp text regardless since the scalers on most (especially cheaper) monitors aren't very good.

TL;DR The 2012 Mac Mini often automatically assumes that a TV is connected via HDMI. You have to make it see a computer monitor, not a TV.

Even televisions shouldn't have crapped out whites or faded colors. I can certainly verify my Panasonic plasma television's picture closely matches my calibrated monitors in terms of color accuracy and it was calibrated using a dumped version of the AVIA test DVD in all modes driven by XBMC (i.e. TV calibrated to match professional color grades using filters plus the tests). So clearly it is possible to get the same results using Apple's advanced settings, but it's easy to screw up if you have no eye for it (the filters make it much easier with AVIA and frankly, NVIDIA's Windows drivers have a MUCH easier calibration setup than Apple's, IMO)

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
And calibration is for fine tuning really. You should be able to see grey bars and photos of white cables from the off. Am crossing my fingers that 10.8.3 can fix it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
And calibration is for fine tuning really. You should be able to see grey bars and photos of white cables from the off. Am crossing my fingers that 10.8.3 can fix it.

The only way I can imagine that 10.8.3 can "fix" a problem that doesn't exist on most Mac Minis is that they've recognized a manufacturing defect and found a way to basically "bypass" the problem on the failed systems. Given my Mini is operating perfectly in 10.8.2 there is no "fix" in 10.8.3 for me to look for here. Hence, I can only conclude the problem is a defect specific to certain Minis OR there is some kind of defect that only appears on certain brand monitors/tvs (which I find unlikely, but then what's being described doesn't sound right to begin with and smacks of a defect by description).

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
That doesn't sound very hopeful for a fix then! It seems people who do still have problems have them on a wide range of monitors and TVs so it seems unlikely to be down to them.

Apple care didn't offer to send me a replacement mini. Maybe I should have asked for one given that a lot of people aren't having any problems.

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I do know of someone who was reporting the same hdmi display issues when connecting their mac book pro to their TV.

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I am now using a minidisplay port to dvi adapter and cable and can see grey bars etc on the screen now.

My monitor name now comes up in the display profile list whereas it didn't when using hdmi connections (eg minidisplay port to hdmi cable).

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I am now using a minidisplay port to dvi adapter and cable and can see grey bars etc on the screen now.

My monitor name now comes up in the display profile list whereas it didn't when using hdmi connections (eg minidisplay port to hdmi cable).

Maybe you had a bad cable before? I'm using a MDP to HDMI adapter with a regular HDMI cable. It works perfectly. I use Apple's own HDMI-to-DVI adapter on the HDMI port with a DVI monitor and it works fine. I even put both adapters in a row to connect the MDP to the DVI monitor and that worked fine also as did HDMI-to-HDMI on the other monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.