Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paddy-black

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
i'm just wondering which kind of 3TB harddrive is inside the 27" late 2012 iMac? please model:

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
i'm just wondering which kind of 3TB harddrive is inside the 27" late 2012 iMac? please model:

Are you asking about the model that has the Fusion and 3 TB Hard Drive or just the plain 3TB Hard Drive with no Fusion Drive? Not that it would matter most likely they are the same Drive. I hope it is WD and not Seagate. I have had bad luck with Seagate.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

Apple doesn't use a single model for all of the machines they build. Currently iMacs all seem to be shipping with Seagate or WD drives, so the one you buy will have either of those.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA

Very simple to find out, in System Information look in the specs and it will tell you the drive manufacturer. The easiest method I know of open System Information is open Spotlight and type System Information and the app will open.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Are you asking about the model that has the Fusion and 3 TB Hard Drive or just the plain 3TB Hard Drive with no Fusion Drive? Not that it would matter most likely they are the same Drive. I hope it is WD and not Seagate. I have had bad luck with Seagate.

I'm IT for various companies and WD drives are the least reliable. Personally, my oldest Seagate drive which is over 5 years old still works wonderfully. I also notice that Seagate drives are usually more expensive than WD and it shows.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
The only possible way with current technology to make the whole computer 5 mm thin, would be with water cooling, eliminate HDD's, and spread out the components over the whole area and even then it would probably end up being thicker than 5 mm, and be prepared for a very high price on such a computer especially from apple.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I was wondering if another reason to use fusion is to extend the potential life and/or provide less wear-and-tear on traditional spinning disks in a computer system - that's something Apple or any other company would tell you though...

I understand the obvious reasons for going to fusion, I personally would like an all SSD system, but that will have to wait until my next purchase 4-5 years from now when 1TB SSDs will be reasonably priced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.