Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
ghoraa
macrumors newbie

Photos look very different on mac and pc

Hi guys,

I have been scouring the web for this but did not seem to find a solution.
Basically, I shot some product photos on my canon 60d, sRGB profile, opened them up in Aperture, did some editing - photos look great.
And then I sent the photos to my friend who has a PC laptop, they appear much darker and blue.

Now I know that the screen on my Imac is different and that my friend's screen is not calibrated. But, we bought a photo from photodune.com and they look more or less the same, everything we checked on the web looks more or less acceptable. Only the picture I edited looks very dark and of a different color.
I also tested the picture on another PC and it was even darker.

Here is my photo's info:

http://images.creativecow.net/204473/info.jpg

Thanks,

George
ghoraa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

You need to calibrate your screen to match a printer. I believe there is some software that can do this. But yeah, I have used Macs and had grays be totally black when printing.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:23 AM   #3
ghoraa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You need to calibrate your screen to match a printer. I believe there is some software that can do this. But yeah, I have used Macs and had grays be totally black when printing.
Thanks for your reply,

But i think that you may have misread the question.

The difference in colour I am asking about is one between my pictures on a Mac and on a PC, not a printer output.

Thanks
ghoraa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoraa View Post
Thanks for your reply,

But i think that you may have misread the question.

The difference in colour I am asking about is one between my pictures on a Mac and on a PC, not a printer output.

Thanks
Yes, PC screens tend to be of lesser quality depending on year and brand, and are a lot darker/warm with low contrast. Look at something like Windows XP on a Mac screen today, and it's so vivid and saturated. Same thing can be said about Windows in general, it looks so much more colorful on our screens.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Peace
macrumors P6

If you could provide the make and model of monitor being used on the PC would help a lot but I suspect the problem to be the color profile used on the Mac is not the same as the PC.

Try using a more generic color profile .
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Unless you calibrate everybody's monitor there will be differences.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1532204
Laird Knox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
nitromac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yes, PC screens tend to be of lesser quality depending on year and brand, and are a lot darker/warm with low contrast. Look at something like Windows XP on a Mac screen today, and it's so vivid and saturated. Same thing can be said about Windows in general, it looks so much more colorful on our screens.
What an ignorant answer.

There are many Windows laptops out there with well calibrated displays, and either way you should be doing any critical color work on a quality external display, not a run of the mill mac. I avoid my MBP screen like the plague for photo work.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 01:33 AM   #8
marioo
macrumors newbie

I just want to add that the way the pictures look is not necessarily dependent on the screen itself. I have a MacBook Pro with both MacOS and Windows 7 installed on it. When I edit pictures on MacOS and then view them in Windows on the same screen, they look much worse there. I use Pixelmator for photo editing purposes, but I don't think it is the reason of the problem.
marioo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 03:26 AM   #9
marioo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioo View Post
I just want to add that the way the pictures look is not necessarily dependent on the screen itself. I have a MacBook Pro with both MacOS and Windows 7 installed on it. When I edit pictures on MacOS and then view them in Windows on the same screen, they look much worse there. I use Pixelmator for photo editing purposes, but I don't think it is the reason of the problem.
I found an article that is worth reading. It seems the difference in how the pictures look on Windows and MacOS is caused by different gamma profiles used by the operating systems. You can see what happens if you change your gamma settings in MacOS from 2.2 (which is the default one) to 1.8 (go to your display settings in System Preferences).
marioo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 03:59 AM   #10
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
That they look better in one OS compared to the other is actually irrelevant. Ideally you would have a good measured profile for each. If you're setting it up to match prints, you would turn the display down until they match under consistent lighting. You can go much further than that in terms of color management, but that would at least be a start. Just don't assume that suggestion to be an exact science.

Quote:
I found an article that is worth reading. It seems the difference in how the pictures look on Windows and MacOS is caused by different gamma profiles used by the operating systems. You can see what happens if you change your gamma settings in MacOS from 2.2 (which is the default one) to 1.8 (go to your display settings in System Preferences).
What you mention is dated by many years, and it's the worst possible advice you could give anyone. I am just typing this because I don't want to see people run into more problems due to misguided words. Even Apple ditched the gamma 1.8 default with Snow Leopard, and none of the hardware they've used in recent years would work well at that setting anyway. You can dial whatever you want to in profile instructions, but that doesn't change what is available from the underlying hardware, which is designed to be run at gamma 2.2.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 04:49 PM   #11
geoffpalmeruk
macrumors member

Likewise! I use a calibrated ips monitor and they do look very different on my mbp screen
geoffpalmeruk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography