Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
It's pretty obvious that the next update of the Mac OS will contain a few small features. But what do you think Apple will do with Mac OS XI (or will they use 11)? Will they follow Microsoft's touchscreen features, introduce a major UI overhaul, or something else?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
It's pretty obvious that the next update of the Mac OS will contain a few small features. But what do you think Apple will do with Mac OS XI (or will they use 11)? Will they follow Microsoft's touchscreen features, introduce a major UI overhaul, or something else?

They will leave touchscreen to their handheld devices because no one wants to get a sore shoulder and a smudgy screen when they can work just as quickly with a mouse. Apple use their brains unlike competitors that jump at anything that is different.

UI will change but probably only the same amount you see from version to version already because if it aint broke don't fix it and lets face it, everyone thinks OS X UI rocks or there wouldn't be so many Apple fans. OS11 will be new workflows perhaps, maybe revamped filesystem and more features.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At some point apple will leave the OSX nomenclature but who knows when. They can keep going upping the .xx version for the foreseeable future. I doubt they will and may very well merge iOS/OSX platforms to some degree, i.e., iOS desktop and iOS Mobile.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Simply put they can call it whatever they want. I think they will stick with OSX branding as long as they can since it's a big enough brand name to stay behind and the version numbers of the OS are not decimals so they can go as high as they want to.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Why are you saying they will keep the name OS X? The X stands for 10 and that's why it's there. When it reaches 10.9 it will probably go to 11 so OS X would stop making sense.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Why are you saying they will keep the name OS X? The X stands for 10 and that's why it's there. When it reaches 10.9 it will probably go to 11 so OS X would stop making sense.
Whether the X in OS X is pronounced eks, ten, or chi, it is part of the operating system's name and not a version number. Apple's extant operating system for desktops and laptops is OS X 10.8.2. This is version 10.8.2 of OS X. Got it?

Nov 28, 2010
located

The X also stands for Unix, and since SJ once mentioned (before the public arrival of iOS), that Mac OS X (it was still Mac OS X back then) is a brand/architecture to be used for the next two decades, there is still some life left with OS X.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Whether the X in OS X is pronounced eks, ten, or chi, it is part of the operating system's name and not a version number. Apple's extant operating system for desktops and laptops is OS X 10.8.2. This is version 10.8.2 of OS X. Got it?

The X also stands for Unix, and since SJ once mentioned (before the public arrival of iOS), that Mac OS X (it was still Mac OS X back then) is a brand/architecture to be used for the next two decades, there is still some life left with OS X.
Since there was System 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9 and now it's Mac OS X (that also stands for Mac OS 10) I don't see as the X is not a version a number. It might have other meanings as well as the Unix one but the X sure stands for 10.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since there was System 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9 and now it's Mac OS X (that also stands for Mac OS 10) I don't see as the X is not a version a number. It might have other meanings as well as the Unix one but the X sure stands for 10.

It may stand for "10", but it also stands for "Unix", thus it is not limited to the numbering system. And as mentioned before, the software version numbering does not comply with the decimal system, thus version "10.1" is not the same as version "10.10".

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
It may stand for "10", but it also stands for "Unix", thus it is not limited to the numbering system. And as mentioned before, the software version numbering does not comply with the decimal system, thus version "10.1" is not the same as version "10.10".
That was what I said. It stands for 10 but it might have some other meanings such as Unix ;) But don't tell me the X has nothing to do with number 10. And I know that 10.10 is not the same as 10.1 in version numbers but it's normal that, when it reaches 10.9, goes to 11 afterwards.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Apple will go out of business after 10.9.

It's a 1-10 scale. Jobs said that years ago.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Or they could drop the numbers and just have it be OS X?

But X means 10. They could call it Diez, and it would still be the same.

They are so dumb. After the very first one, "Kodiak" (I don't know why they went from bears to cats), they jumped right into 10?

Morons.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
But X means 10. They could call it Diez, and it would still be the same.

They are so dumb. After the very first one, "Kodiak" (I don't know why they went from bears to cats), they jumped right into 10?

Morons.

Yeah?

So?

I'm saying they could just call it "OS X" instead of "OS X 10.10". You know, take the numbers out. They already took Mac out. And if they just leave it "OS X", they don't have to worry about stopping. They could just keep coming up with cat code names.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Yeah?

So?

I'm saying they could just call it "OS X" instead of "OS X 10.10". You know, take the numbers out. They already took Mac out. And if they just leave it "OS X", they don't have to worry about stopping. They could just keep coming up with cat code names.

No more cat code names! What's after Cougar? Tabby?

They have to move on.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Why not just OS X 11?
Like;
Mac OS X 10.6
Mac OS X 10.7
OS X 10.8
OS X 10.9
OS X 11
OS X 12
OS X 13

So you are keeping the OS X brand, while removing the decimal.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Why not just OS X 11?
Like;
Mac OS X 10.6
Mac OS X 10.7
OS X 10.8
OS X 10.9
OS X 11
OS X 12
OS X 13

So you are keeping the OS X brand, while removing the decimal.

that is nonsensical. What happens when they update 11 to patch a few things? If they call a slightly less buggy revision "12", then we'll be overdoing it. Any major overhaul will be like OS X 33. That will be too much.

I think they should just rename the whole stupid thing.

Something like "macH 1"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.