Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Well, I've had Steam with 10.7 for a while now without a hitch but recently I installed a second video card to power a flat screen tv. Challenging y trouble shooting, I reinstalled ML to start anew so I have no idea if I'm missing some drivers or what.

When I try to launch a game, it appears momentarily in the dock then vanishes as quickly as it appears.

any suggestion why?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 2.35.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 2.35.04 AM.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 389

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Doesn't sound like a driver problem. If it were, you'd have more issues than just steam. Try:

1. "Please exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam

Delete all of the files in this folder except for SteamApps.

Restart your computer.

Launch Steam and re-test the issue."

If that doesn't work...

2. Repair disk permissions
3. Verify integrity of game cache in steam.

One of those should work.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hey Cougarcat, I tried those without any success. When I tried going into the Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam I didn't see a Steam folder at all which lead me to believe it may have installed onto another partition by accident. I simply created a folder called Steam hoping it would work but to no avail.

I am now deleting the Steam application and starting fresh again. I just hope the problem isn't stemming from a corrupted install which I'm using to backup again.

Very vexing! Argh.

Also, I mentioned this was on 10.7 which is a mistake; it is 10.8.2

UPDATE:

I was able to install another game and it works. I'm thinking this is a corrupt download. At 14GB, L4D2 is going to take awhile to download. Sigh.

UPDATE 2:

Ok, I'm really getting angry now. I thought the problem was isolated to the download of files as GTA III was working fine. I downloaded L4D1 as it was only half the size of L4D2 hoping to confirm this suspicion and it too will not launch. So far it's L4D1 and 2 that exhibit the same things. Also, when I try to go into Big Picture mode, Steam crashes. Are you sure this isn't a video issue?

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Might just flush the OSX install and try again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.