Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Evasi0n' Arrives as First Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone 5 and iOS 6.x

"Evad3rs", a new team including some of the top iOS jailbreak authors, has just released Evasi0n, a brand-new jailbreak for iOS 6.x. The release marks the first time users have been able to deploy an untethered jailbreak on the iPhone 5.

Evasi0n is available for OS X, Windows, and Linux and provides a quick method for users to jailbreak their devices to make use of unauthorized like themes, tweaks, and apps from sources other than the App Store.

As an untethered jailbreak, users only need to apply the Evasi0n jailbreak once, making for a seamless user experience. Tethered jailbreaks requires users to have their devices connected to a computer each time they restart.

Article Link: 'Evasi0n' Arrives as First Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone 5 and iOS 6.x
MacRumors is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Timbo635
macrumors newbie

Finally!

Been waiting a loong time for this fella...
Timbo635 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
l.w41sh
macrumors 6502

Almost done jailbreaking!!!!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

It's pretty awesome that this work on all 6.x firmwares, not just the latest one.

Make sure you update your firmware through iTunes. If you did an OTA update, you will have to first restore through iTunes before you jailbreak.

Thanks Evad3rs!
PrayForDeath is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:20 AM   #5
hammie14
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForDeath View Post
It's pretty awesome that this work on all 6.x firmwares, not just the latest one.

Make sure you update your firmware through iTunes. If you did an OTA update, you will have to first restore through iTunes before you jailbreak.

Thanks Evad3rs!
I dont think this is correct!

I updated OTA and not from itunes and have jailbroken my device new problem (ipad 3 GSM) and iPhone 4s
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6
etaylor3971
macrumors member

agreed, no restore required

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie14 View Post
I dont think this is correct!

I updated OTA and not from itunes and have jailbroken my device new problem (ipad 3 GSM) and iPhone 4s
I just performed a jailbreak on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6.1 and it worked flawlessly - when I updated to 6.1, I did so OTA (over the air).

Worked perfectly!

Now just have the guts to use it on the iPhone 5 which I actually use as a phone.
etaylor3971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
jomarr
macrumors member

Hi guys, I just got my iPhone 5 last week. This will be my first iPhone and second iOS device (after the 4th gen iPod Touch). I really need your help. I want to download torrents using my iPhone.. Is that possible with Jailbreaking? No netflix in the country. I would love to subscribe but Netflix still isn't offered here so I really want to know if torrenting is possible in iOS. Thanks a lot!
jomarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:55 PM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I jailbroke today to find that I have to pay $5 for Intelliscreen X without any new features...

Pandora unlimited skips doesn't work....

And, wow, I guess Apple did literally add everything else I have been missing (minus maybe themes but those became more of a hassle than they were worth for me). I waited so long for this jailbreak to find I am pretty much happy without it!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:26 AM   #9
fernan
macrumors newbie

I did the JB on my 4S

i did my jb on my 4s but i cant really see anymore why I should have it jb.
the only thing I miss is Cydialer but thats not compatible with ios6.
dont even need to unlock, i like the carrier i have right now.

anyhow.. i'll just wait until cydialer shows up again.
fernan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:35 PM   #10
paulie6978
macrumors 6502

does this need to be downloaded strictly from a PC/laptop/MAC or is there a way to load up from my iphone or ipad mini?
paulie6978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:39 AM   #11
George Knighton
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to George Knighton
For the first time since switching to iPhones when the 4 came out, I am not interested in jailbreaking.

I've never been into the tweaks that steal battery life and processor cycles, and the addition of Do Not Disturb to the firmware has basically taken care of the only reason I had to jailbreak.

I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for some fabulous application nobody's thought of before, but jailbreaking with the iPhone 5 is just not a priority for me!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:10 PM   #12
olmo47
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to olmo47 Send a message via Skype™ to olmo47
Jailbreack

I like to give my 1 Cent feeling:

I am one that I would prefer to stay with the 'ethical legal' surroundings, and I think that those people that spend many hours making 'application' for all of us, deserve their pay.

I like to give one "however" if I do jailbreack the iPhone i have one reason (valid to me) is that that being able to "tether" my iPhone with laptop or iPad, would be nice to (from time to time) stay in my pajamas and get hook to the web.

As for the moment (and think that would stay that way) I can't pay (Comcast, Verizon, Sprint) for either internet, or hot spot, is out of my badged.

So I am thinking jailbreack the phone just to connect to the web, I would prefer that Apple would aloud that...but I am dreaming...sorry Steve Jobs..and others.

Love your product, and I have bough many applications, and glad to contribute, but how much is enough?

a good costumer
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:19 AM   #13
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertrr View Post
Although not many reasons for me to jailbreak, I know many who will be happy.

What jailbreak tweaks is everyone excited to try on their devices?Image

Use the search function to view threads on people sharing their favourite tweaks.
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:15 PM   #14
MatthewStorm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForDeath View Post

Thanks Evad3rs!
This is incorrect information.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewStorm View Post
This is incorrect information.
What is incorrect?

------

Also if anyone got stuck:
pod2g: If the device is stuck displaying "patching kernel", you can press Power+Home for a long time to force a reboot.

Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:15 AM   #16
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Edit: Download link (OSX)

Last edited by XboxMySocks; Feb 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
XboxMySocks is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:15 AM   #17
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Just downloading. I can't believe it's finally happening!!! WOOHOO!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:15 AM   #18
mlovergaard
macrumors regular

Downloading, can't wait to get BiteSMS again
mlovergaard is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

Torrent
Ashin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:46 PM   #20
ellediphone5
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlovergaard View Post
Downloading, can't wait to get BiteSMS again
i can't install anything from Cydia, I can't even manage my account (for the things I purchased bitesms, rotator, 4g restrictor, iblacklist and who knows what else.) I need my sbs settins and i need fake carrier, and to change my font ughhh i waited so long for NOTHING?!?!

any sources needed?
ellediphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:51 PM   #21
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellediphone5 View Post
i can't install anything from Cydia, I can't even manage my account (for the things I purchased bitesms, rotator, 4g restrictor, iblacklist and who knows what else.) I need my sbs settins and i need fake carrier, and to change my font ughhh i waited so long for NOTHING?!?!

any sources needed?

oooOOh. Naughty, naughty.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbobmccoy View Post
I've never, ever had a home button break on me; and I've owned them since the original. What do you do to your phone, torture it?
On my original iPod Touch, my first born did it in completely, then on my 3Gs my second born did the honours. They don't make these things 'toddler proof'.

Now that my kids are grown up, they know better. I have an iPhone 5 (which I don't let them touch) but I'm still paranoid that the home button will get wonky after time. I'm not too sure that my kids alone caused the home button to fail in the other devices, as the iPad's home button is still working (but then again, the iPad has the 4-finger pinch to home thing).
theanimaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Krauser
macrumors regular

Read that other people were having issues with the phone staying stuck on the Apple logo (going into bootloops, not booting at all into the OS, etc.) so I tried it on my phone (64GB 4S running 6.1) and it booted up just fine. I did a normal shutdown (not the home button hold and power button reset) and it came back up into the OS as it should. Everything's running fine and the jailbreak was cake. Actually, one of the easiest and simplest jailbreaks since greenpois0n.

Only issue I'm having is Cydia not being able to download apps (HTTP errors and such) most likely due to their servers getting pounded, but that's unrelated to the jailbreak itself. It's been a while since I've had a device jailbroken and I've never had a phone jailbroken (just iOS devices like iPod touches) so it's nice to finally fully get the most out of it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:16 AM   #23
dustinsc
macrumors regular

That may have been the fastest (as far as the process goes; the wait was long), most painless jailbreak ever.
dustinsc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:17 AM   #24
edonohoo
macrumors newbie

Patching Kernel...

Mine has been sitting at the final "Patching Kernel..." screen for a long time. Anyone else have this happen?

ATT iPhone 5
edonohoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:25 AM   #25
CK1Czar
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonohoo View Post
Mine has been sitting at the final "Patching Kernel..." screen for a long time. Anyone else have this happen?

ATT iPhone 5
Mine too
CK1Czar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion