Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I have been running a 1.6GHz Power Mac G5 for years now as my secondary computer at home. My primary computer is a 2008 Aluminum Unibody Macbook that is still treating me just fine. Upgraded from 10.4 to 10.8 and loving it. I plan on keeping the Macbook for a few more years. Power Mac G5 is running 10.4 and is just a bit too slow for what I want.

I initially planned to install a lightweight Linux distro to revive the G5 but decided to decommission her and do a G5 Case Mod like the ones I've seen on tonymacx86. It's going to be hard to rip out working internals but I know the 1.6GHz is the least desirable of the G5s and it won't sell for much and I'm not using it as is. I love new projects!

My plan is to use this box as an HTPC 90% of the time and for basic work and light gaming when the mood strikes. Primarily will be used for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime and iTunes. I'll also do some serious work at my desk from time to time. Serious mode = working at the desk. :)

The build:
  • i3-3225 (HD4000 integrated graphics)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H full ATX mobo
  • SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB
  • A few existing HHDs currently in the G5
  • Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • Corsair CX430 PSU
  • Various case fans

Will be using the integrated graphics unless I find a game that I love and requires a graphics card. Dual booting ArchLinux and Mac OS X to allow me to tinker while still keeping the machine usable for my girlfriend. Should be a quiet and quick machine. I couldn't justify spending more on the i5 for my planned usage. Almost went with the AMD Trinity A10 but went Intel for the Hackintosh ease of use.

I guess this was just a RIP post for my poor working G5 that is about to get her heart ripped out! I'll post up some pics when the transformation begins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.