Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Public Relations Department Opening Up Under Tim Cook

For years, Apple Public Relations has issued press releases for major product announcements, handed out exclusives and loaner units to a few select reporters and columnists, and occasionally signed off on an interview with one of the senior executives when it suited their marketing message. That strategy gave the company millions of dollars in free marketing with news outlets writing about every bit of information they can find.

These days, according to the Wall Street Journal, Apple's public relations department is a little more proactive. Last week, Apple issued a press release to announce iOS 6.1, a comparatively minor software release.
Quote:
At the same time, Apple communications staff have recently sent reporters more favorable third-party reports about the company, including a study predicting that by 2014, Apple will be as accepted in the enterprise as Microsoft is today. Apple, and indeed virtually all its competitors, send reporters favorable studies from time to time. But the five reports Apple has sent since the start of the year, mostly related to mobile market share, represent more than recent months.
The Journal says the PR efforts "represent a recognition that competition is heating up", according to a WSJ source, with a caveat that it wasn't a big shift in protocol.

Of course, even when Apple PR is more forthcoming, it can still rely on the press to cover every move it makes.

Article Link: Apple's Public Relations Department Opening Up Under Tim Cook
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:34 PM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Of course, even when Apple PR is more forthcoming, it can still rely on the press to cover every move it makes.
Could've fooled me.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Squilly
macrumors 68000

About time. This would be good for the company.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
usersince86
macrumors regular

The times they are a-changin'
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Another interesting step in the new era at Apple.

Hopefully One that will have a positive impact.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Caseynd
macrumors member

Better communication = less confusion = more happy users!
Caseynd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:38 PM   #7
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

The key is communication
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:41 PM   #8
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816

I don't know.. this guy Cook.. this guy blows.. Double downing on secrecy.. oh wow.. All the moves he makes, looks very very shaky and doubtful..
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:47 PM   #9
HiRez
macrumors 601

I wonder when spending on advertising will follow. Samsung is now spending about 14X what Apple is on advertising, and it is having an effect. You almost literally cannot watch a commercial block anywhere on tv without seeing a Samsung ad.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Fresh Pie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
I don't know.. this guy Cook.. this guy blows.. Double downing on secrecy.. oh wow.. All the moves he makes, looks very very shaky and doubtful..
I feel the same way about your punctuation.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Exclamation point on the end of the Jobs Era. The fact Apple needs an entire department to do what one one of many areas Jobs handled solo is telling indeed. Sad day.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:32 PM   #12
tech4all
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
Kinda of a childish comeback. Guess that's expected here when someone questions Apple or Mr. Cook's abilities.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What.

Making press releases when you decide to make them doesn't impact secrecy in any way. They make the announcements when the products have been released! The difference is that they may just be more willing to make them now. I can't see how that in any way is a bad thing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Exclamation point on the end of the Jobs Era. The fact Apple needs an entire department to do what one one of many areas Jobs handled solo is telling indeed. Sad day.
Jobs wrote all press releases?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:16 PM   #14
fungus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
And phraseology
fungus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
What.

Jobs wrote all press releases?
Press releases are not the sum of PR. In fact it's a minor bit. It's something to give interns and new hires something to do. Real PR is the stuff of Edward Bernays. He didn't sit around all day and write press releases that no one reads except Advertorial writers. Good PR is changing people's hearts and minds w/o them knowing they've been manipulated. A press release doesn't do that. Sorry.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:15 PM   #16
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Lol, well he could be trying to be sarcastic. Here's a troll face wallpaper anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallpaper-1089568.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	823.3 KB
ID:	394711  
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Porco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
"a study predicting that by 2014, Apple will be as accepted in the enterprise as Microsoft is today."
Ooh, I love fantasy novels!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:24 PM   #18
malexandria
macrumors 6502

Wow?

Amazing, a post about how PR works? Slow news period?
malexandria is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:51 PM   #19
ConCat
Banned

Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexandria View Post
Amazing, a post about how PR works? Slow news period?
Amazing, a post about slow news periods? Slow comment period?
ConCat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:49 AM   #20
fsession
macrumors newbie

I wonder when investing on marketing will adhere to. New samsung is now investing about 14X what The apple company is on marketing, and it is having an impact. You almost basically cannot observe a professional prevent anywhere on tv without seeing a New samsung ad.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:26 PM   #21
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

"...including a study predicting that by 2014, Apple will be as accepted in the enterprise as Microsoft is today."

So let me get this straight...within 10 months:

1)Apple software (what software?) will be as accepted as MS SQL Server or MS Office or MS Windows.

2)Apple Macs will be as accepted as Windows-based machines in the corporate world (we've been hearing similar stories for 25+ years). Even though there are no business Support contracts by Apple...you know...those corporate contracts about supporting hardware, upgrades, pricing, implementation teams, development teams, escalation/dedicated teams, etc. And where are the hundreds of thousands of Mac/Apple IT people to even do the work at Company X?

3)Apple iPads will be as accepted as MS tablets (you know, the one MS just released a few months ago which has no traction). This would be a true statement, but it's sure not saying much! Why not say that Apple will be as popular as nuns handing out cigarettes to children at bus stops?

Apple has a very, VERY long road to any kind of corporate acceptance. The very basics (regardless of how good a product(s) you think Apple has) are entirely missing from Apple: technical support, roadmapping, open-ness, pricing. Not to mention the fact that Apple has a very my-way-or-the-highway approach.

Apple is consumer-focused...plain and simple. Which is fine. Comparing phones and MP3 players to core hardware/software that RUNS businesses is abdsurd.

Last edited by ericinboston; Feb 5, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
ericinboston is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:42 PM   #22
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
"

2)Apple Macs will be as accepted as Windows-based machines in the corporate world (we've been hearing similar stories for 25+ years).
Macs far outsold Windows just 20 years ago. That's about the time Microsoft screwed Apple in the courtroom to get their Mac GUI because of a poorly written paragraph in the Office for Mac contract. The contract failed to clearly limit the use of the Mac GUI to Office, which at the time was the biggest selling software package on the Mac and by far the biggest seller for Microsoft. Microsoft used that court win to create Windows.
JHankwitz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:46 PM   #23
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

I guess the last full moon lasted longer than usual.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Macs far outsold Windows just 20 years ago. That's about the time Microsoft screwed Apple in the courtroom to get their Mac GUI because of a poorly written paragraph in the Office for Mac contract. The contract failed to clearly limit the use of the Mac GUI to Office, which at the time was the biggest selling software package on the Mac and by far the biggest seller for Microsoft. Microsoft used that court win to create Windows.
Read up on your tech history again. That contract loophole was only a small part of a much greater whole that ended up costing Apple the rights to the GUI.

The major part was that Apple didn't invent the GUI to begin with, and couldn't claim ownership of something someone else had already done beforehand.
Renzatic is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:51 PM   #25
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
"...including a study predicting that by 2014, Apple will be as accepted in the enterprise as Microsoft is today."

So let me get this straight...within 10 months:

1)Apple software (what software?) will be as accepted as MS SQL Server or MS Office or MS Windows.

2)Apple Macs will be as accepted as Windows-based machines in the corporate world (we've been hearing similar stories for 25+ years). Even though there are no business Support contracts by Apple...you know...those corporate contracts about supporting hardware, upgrades, pricing, implementation teams, development teams, escalation/dedicated teams, etc. And where are the hundreds of thousands of Mac/Apple IT people to even do the work at Company X?

3)Apple iPads will be as accepted as MS tablets (you know, the one MS just released a few months ago which has no traction). This would be a true statement, but it's sure not saying much! Why not say that Apple will be as popular as nuns handing out cigarettes to children at bus stops?

Apple has a very, VERY long road to any kind of corporate acceptance. The very basics (regardless of how good a product(s) you think Apple has) are entirely missing from Apple: technical support, roadmapping, open-ness, pricing. Not to mention the fact that Apple has a very my-way-or-the-highway approach.

Apple is consumer-focused...plain and simple. Which is fine. Comparing phones and MP3 players to core hardware/software that RUNS businesses is abdsurd.
I think the new imac even started to rub consumers in the wrong way. Apple will never be accepted into the corporate world until they have something like the dell optiplex and dimension desktop lines as well as offering onsite support and all the enterprise stuff that goes with it.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion