Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Whenever I get a new device, I start fabricating various accessories. For the iPad mini I currently have:

Back case with magnets to hold the Smart Cover to the back:
https://sugru.com/guides/mod-an-ipad-mini-back-cover-to-keep-the-smartcover-in-place

Elastic band with magnets for Maglus:
https://sugru.com/gallery/make-a-magnetic-maglus-stylus-adapter-band-for-ipad-mini

Elastic band with Sugru-based holder for a Wacom Bamboo:
https://sugru.com/gallery/make-an-ipad-mini-stylus-holder-band

Smart Cover equipped iPad mini-sized Bluetooth keyboard: https://sugru.com/guides/make-anything-smart-cover-compatible

On top of that, I have an entire accessory system based around tripod screws and nuts. I essentially slap tripod nuts and screws onto everything, and then get a modular system. For instance, I have a cheap car holder with a tripod screw glued to the underside of my desk. At the end of this is (currently) a very ugly (but functional) holder for the iPad mini + case combo I have on it. I can unscrew that holder and use it for other things, or I can screw on a holder for my phone instead.

I have more that works on the same system, but I'm going to redo part of it, so I'm holding off on it so far. In the meanwhile, this is an older, failed prototype of what I'm making now:

diy-mount.jpg

Am I crazy, or are there other DIYers out there?

swsk

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
I personally don't do it but I can understand why.
These days the accesories can cost almost as much
as the iPad itself (especially if your OCD about having
the perfect setup- like me)

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
IMG_9547.jpg

This is from stress testing the new version of my ultra suction mount. In the pic it holds the dummy ipad mini I got off eBay to stand in for the real one for DIY projects like this.

Total parts cost on this is less than $15, not counting the fact that I can take it apart at the tripod nut/screw joints and configure it into other accessories (so the practical cost is much less). The iPad holder at the end in this pic is a semi-temporary one that's designed to fit my mini with the current case combo on it. Making a tripod system holder for a naked mini is much easier. One like that can be seen in this picture from the train a couple of months ago:

20121217_115614.jpg

If anyone's interested, I can provide a list of links and tips for what to get off eBay to create your own accessories

Blk98Cobra

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
I made my own magnetic back cover after seeing yours, although it didn't come out nearly as good...lol

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I made my own magnetic back cover after seeing yours, although it didn't come out nearly as good...lol

Pics? Sugru (the rubber material mentioned in that original post) is really what made it easy for me to do that mod

Blk98Cobra

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Pics? Sugru (the rubber material mentioned in that original post) is really what made it easy for me to do that mod

Ya I just bought some a little while ago to try out on my $1.99 case. For this one, I took out a couple of round magnets from an old cheap leather case I had, put a little gorilla glue then attached them to the back of my case. Gets the job done, but doesn't look all too great....lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 85

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Ya I just bought some a little while ago to try out on my $1.99 case. For this one, I took out a couple of round magnets from an old cheap leather case I had, put a little gorilla glue then attached them to the back of my case. Gets the job done, but doesn't look all too great....lol

Yeah it's a bit more subtle if you both have smaller magnets (5x1mm are great) and embed them in the cover. Great thing about $2 covers is that you can experiment :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.