Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Please explain RAID to me

My photo and video library has grown beyond the capacity of my internal HDD and I want to move away from my convoluted system of multiple Aperture libraries. Instead, I want to have 1 Pro library and 1 Personal library, with the Aperture libraries sitting in my iMac's 1TB internal drive and all of the masters residing in an external.

I'm new to RAID and have only begun to understand how it works. I'm hoping a kind and knowledgeable fellow MacRumors member will help me choose the best solution for my setup.

I've come across the LaCie 6TB 2big Thunderbolt Series RAID Hard Drive which appears to do what I need.

1 - I want to have both internal drives mirror each other 100% so I always have 2 exact copies on site.
2 - I need a 3rd HDD that I will keep off site in my bank's safety deposit box.

I think the first part will be straightforward. Set up RAID 1 and put my files on the drive and both HDDs will mirror each other. Am I correct so far?

Now the second part, I'm not sure how this will work. Can I swap out a drive every week with the one held off site? Will RAID see the differences and go to work on matching the data or do I have to format the offsite drive, and then set it up to copy one of the on site drives? Because I'm going to be doing this pretty regularly, I don't want the mess and confusion of having to set this up every week.

I know the DROBO might do what I need, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to spend $1K on just the device without any HDDs inside. How is the DROBO different than a traditional RAID?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Not sure....

if I fully understand you, but to me, first part of the setup is straightforward and seems to me you had figured how to proceed. Second part is somewhat tricky to me. But I would do the following, cumbersome as is: Clone one of the copies to the third hard drive, and mantain it off site.

And about RAID:

http://rog.asus.com/77402012/rampage...d-setup-guide/

maybe it is helpful

Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Yeah, all the different types of RAID are confusing the heck out of me.

Your system might work. 2 HDDs in the LaCie and then make a simple clone every week on to the offsite drive.

The only issues with this setup are that I have to go to the bank twice (pick up drive, clone, bring it back to the bank) and at some point every week, I have all my backup copies in the same place at the same time.

To prevent that, I wanted to be able to simply swap out one of the local drives, go to the bank, drop off that local drive and pick up the offsite drive, go home and plug that one in which would become the new second local drive until next week when I swapped it again with the offsite drive.

I'm trying to be clear but this is inherently complex.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

OP needs remote backup. RAID is not a backup but is meant for quick recovery of a dead HDD.

I'd suggest looking into remote storage, Amazon S3, DropBox, SkyDrive, there are plenty out there.

If you want to DIY get a NAS and look into r-sync (remote sync to another NAS) or plunk a HDD dock (USB or e-SATA) on the NAS, let it run nightly or weekly backups and take that backup offsite. Two or three portable HDDs and a NAS your data should be dandy. Nice thing about the NAS is it'll do the backups unattended while your computer is off or doing other things.

Summary the NAS is a backup of your Macs HDD data (Time Machine can do this) and the portable drive is a backup of your NAS's Time Machine image.

Edit: note you're from Toronto, Me too I'd be happy to help you set up if you need assistance.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:29 PM   #5
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Keep in mind that my iMac has a 1TB Fusion Drive. It's not enough for my library so I need the masters to be on an external drive. Does Time Machine back up external drives? I don't believe it does, or didnt when Time Machine was launched.

My lingering question is that: if I remove one of the drives from the RAID, will popping in a new drive then automatically mirror the remaining HDD?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:46 PM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

Only RAID 1 (mirroring) does each drive have a full copy. Again this is not a backup as deleting a file will delete it on both drives. HDDs in any other configuration only contain partial data and would be useless by itself. Rebuilding the array will be time consuming.

IMHO avoid a RAID, you don't need it.

FYI Mountain Lion supports multiple TM backups in a round robin fashion.

I'll try to give you some suggestions tomorrow that should work well.

PS can you estimate how much new data you'd use in a month, an online backup solution might be perfect for you if you have the bandwidth.

Last edited by blueroom; Feb 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:51 PM   #7
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Here's a well written explanation.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370235,00.asp
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

I'd recommend using an inexpensive enclosure (Vantec Dual USB, $75 from Amazon) that does Raid 1 mirroring. Then get a drive docking station (Thermaltake eSATA USB for $30 from Amazon) and use it with Carbon Copy Cloner to back up your main drive to a drive that will be kept offsite.
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:10 PM   #9
MacTribe
macrumors member

Thing with carbon copy cloner is it doesn't really keep versions, so you're only as safe as your last backup - unless it's changed? I haven't used it in a few months..
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:53 PM   #10
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTribe View Post
Thing with carbon copy cloner is it doesn't really keep versions, so you're only as safe as your last backup - unless it's changed? I haven't used it in a few months..
While I do like clones... your post is exactly on target. I would not recommend any backup strategy that does not have deep versioning. Of my 3 prong backup strategy... two have deep versioning (TM and Crashplan). I use CCC to make clones of my personal media (photos and personal videos).

I personally do not need clones of my system drive... because I can easily move my media to a different computer while my main drive is replaced and rebuilt.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #11
MacTribe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
While I do like clones... your post is exactly on target. I would not recommend any backup strategy that does not have deep versioning. Of my 3 prong backup strategy... two have deep versioning (TM and Crashplan). I use CCC to make clones of my personal media (photos and personal videos).

I personally do not need clones of my system drive... because I can easily move my media to a different computer while my main drive is replaced and rebuilt.

/Jim
Thats a great strategy.It would be extremely hard for you to lose any files!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 02:31 PM   #12
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTribe View Post
Thats a great strategy.It would be extremely hard for you to lose any files!
I recently put a post on here someplace of a recovery that I had to do from Crashplan over the cloud. It wasn't for my personal machine... but rather it was for a small MBA that my daughter has. Evidently, while she was away at grad school, she shut off Time Machine because she wanted full performance for WoW. She never turned it on... a year later (last week) dropped it... and smashed it.

We bought her a new MBA, but the TM data was a year old, so we installed apps manually, and then downloaded all of her data from the cloud (Crashplan+). It worked perfectly.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:38 AM   #13
MacTribe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
I recently put a post on here someplace of a recovery that I had to do from Crashplan over the cloud. It wasn't for my personal machine... but rather it was for a small MBA that my daughter has. Evidently, while she was away at grad school, she shut off Time Machine because she wanted full performance for WoW. She never turned it on... a year later (last week) dropped it... and smashed it.

We bought her a new MBA, but the TM data was a year old, so we installed apps manually, and then downloaded all of her data from the cloud (Crashplan+). It worked perfectly.
No better backup software out there at the moment. We run the enterprise version on our servers for clients etc - we've only had great results.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography