Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
I usually record at 720p59.94fps from Xbox, even tho it's 30fps overkill for most of the games. (sadly there's no 720p29.97fps option on Blackmagic Intensity Extreme)

I was going to try 1080p29.97fps today since I got a new computer, but I was instead shown a weird double image when I tried to record. I think I read somewhere that this is a 1080i/1080p setting issue, but i'm pretty sure both Xbox and BMIE were set to 1080p29.97fps. I know i've seen people record Halo gameplay in 1080p with other recording devices, so it should be possible with the BMIE. Does anyone know what I may be doin wrong?

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Just to clarify... I've just gotten my own Intensity Extreme and have not tried it yet, so wouldn't know of any bugs or settings issues yet. But have you tried capturing interlaced instead?

Never captured gameplay before, but think interlaced should be a good alternative when you don't have 60p alternatives at that resolution. Interlaced should seem smoother for fast gameplay graphics.

Give it a try. If i remember correctly the device should be able to capture at 1080i60 resolution. Correct me if im wrong.

joeysarks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Detroit
Just to clarify... I've just gotten my own Intensity Extreme and have not tried it yet, so wouldn't know of any bugs or settings issues yet. But have you tried capturing interlaced instead?

Never captured gameplay before, but think interlaced should be a good alternative when you don't have 60p alternatives at that resolution. Interlaced should seem smoother for fast gameplay graphics.

Give it a try. If i remember correctly the device should be able to capture at 1080i60 resolution. Correct me if im wrong.

I was always told never to use 1080i, or anything interlaced because it creates issues with the recording. I'll give it a try tho.

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I was always told never to use 1080i, or anything interlaced because it creates issues with the recording. I'll give it a try tho.

Well, progressive would be my choice too in most cases, but since it doesn't support 1080p60 and 1080p29,97 didn't work... i guess interlaced would be your only choice :)

Regarding the "double image". It could be that the xbox still outputs interlaced signals which the BMIE then has trouble understanding when set to progressive capture. Interlaced pictures contains of 60 half frames / fields which is then put together to give a fluid picture equal to 30 frames. Progressive is 30 full frames. So mixing up the formats can easily cause unwanted results.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Well, progressive would be my choice too in most cases, but since it doesn't support 1080p60 and 1080p29,97 didn't work... i guess interlaced would be your only choice :)

Regarding the "double image". It could be that the xbox still outputs interlaced signals which the BMIE then has trouble understanding when set to progressive capture. Interlaced pictures contains of 60 half frames / fields which is then put together to give a fluid picture equal to 30 frames. Progressive is 30 full frames. So mixing up the formats can easily cause unwanted results.

The Xbox could very well be putting out a non-standard signal. The Wii in 480p did the same thing and on our Blackmagic gear it showed up as two side by side images (we had to run it through a scan converter and capture it windowed in a 720p signal to get around the problem). I wouldn't suggest going interlaced though. Interlaced, especially for something that's going on line, slaughters fine detail (think HUDs, on screen text, etc.,) and introduces artifacting that isn't present in the source material.

1080i60 and 720p60 are basically the same effective resolution but 720p gives a cleaner image that compresses better.

1080i60 = 1 1920x540 half-image (1,036,800 pixels) every 1/60th of a second

720p60 = 1 1280x720 full image (921,600 pixels) every 1/60th of a second

If you stop on a frame and do an A/B comparison the 1080i60 footage can look sharper but in motion the difference is not noticeable. I've run split screen tests with people standing 2ft away from a 45" 1080p monitor and no one could say which side was 720p60 and which side was 1080i60 until obvious fine detail showed up (like small text in a HUD) and the 1080i60 side was illegible while the 720p60 side was pristine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.