Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

First Reviews of Microsoft Surface Pro: Good Display, Full Windows 8, Compromised Experience

The reviews for Microsoft's fully featured Windows 8 tablet/laptop combo are out. The Surface Pro firmly slots in between tablets like Apple's iPad and ultra-portable laptops like the MacBook Air, and some have wanted a similar Mac/tablet hybrid.

The overall consensus is that while the Surface Pro does have some good features, it's ultimately brought down by trying to be both a tablet and laptop at the same time.

Here is a collection of some of the early reviews:

The Verge

- "There's something really weird about running Windows on a tablet, though. I never think about getting a virus on my iPad, or making sure to comply with constant system updates."
- The Surface Pro comes with a Wacom-made pressure-sensitive and capacitive stylus that attaches to the device and is a "useful companion to the device."
- "It's too big, too fat, and too reliant on its power cable to be a competitive tablet, and it's too immutable to do everything a laptop needs to do."

AllThingsD

- In battery tests, it lasted under four hours - less than half the stamina of the iPad and three hours less than Surface RT.
- "Of the 64 GB of solid-state storage on the entry-level $899 model, only 30 GB of that is free for the user, according to Microsoft. On the $999 model, 90 GB of the 128 GB total is available for the user."
- "As with the original Surface, the Pro is solidly built, with the same innovative metal kickstand that keeps it upright on a desk or table."

Gizmodo

- "Its Ivy Bridge i5 processor, the same you'll find in most ultrabooks, launches apps almost instantly (another big upgrade from Surface RT)."
- "Its screen is too good. Which is to say, its 1080p resolution is so dense on the 10.6-inch screen that desktop programs seem too small, too cramped."

TechCrunch

- "As a laptop it is excellent. I was able to do nearly everything I needed to do including the editing of large documents, photo management, blogging, some minor gaming, and plenty of email and web browsing."
- The physical $129 Type Cover and the capacitive $119 Touch Cover are "essential to the Surface Pro experience."
- "There are obviously trade-offs, but the simplicity of form, the excellent design, and the promising OS make the Surface Pro a real treat - and threat to other manufacturers."

Engadget

- "That keyboard slowed us down and its trackpad continued to frustrate."
- "Photos [from two 720p cameras] are incredibly full of noise and the sensor seems to be completely unable to manage contrast, resulting in images that are either totally washed out or far too dark."
-**"If you're the type who likes to quickly pop on your tablet to check for new email or Facebook messages every few minutes, you may find yourself forced out of that habit here."

The Microsoft Surface Pro releases on February 9 and comes in a 64GB version for $899 and a 128GB version for $999, with the Type Cover an additional $129 and a Touch Cover an additional $119.

Article Link: First Reviews of Microsoft Surface Pro: Good Display, Full Windows 8, Compromised Experience
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Nice to see some positive feedbacks! Hope I get to play with one soon!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

If it didn't run Windows 8, it would be a pretty decent option...
Pakaku is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

I haven't played around with it yet but I want to. Looks promising.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:58 PM   #5
whiteonline
macrumors 6502

never mind.....

Last edited by whiteonline; Feb 5, 2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: click fail
whiteonline is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
appleguy123
macrumors 603

When they're charging that price, the cheap piece of polyurethane keyboard shoukd be thrown in for free.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:00 PM   #7
impulse462
macrumors 65816

I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure if it will ever take off.

the Courier though...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
violaboy
macrumors member

Or...

Or just buy an 11" Macbook Air. I know it's not a tablet, but it would get the job done better and would be cheaper!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:02 PM   #9
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

So it's worse than a tablet, worse than a laptop and more expensive than both with less than half the battery life and no keyboard. Apple has nothing to worry about. Zune.

Last edited by bdkennedy1; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
bdkennedy1 is offline   105 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:17 PM   #10
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I haven't played around with it yet but I want to. Looks promising.
I agree. This is a "Version 1.0." Haswell ought to allow for thinner, lighter designs. There may well be a market for a "toasterfridge" device in the future. Hopefully Apple is paying close attention and doesn't miss market signals the way it did with larger phones.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:26 AM   #11
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I agree. This is a "Version 1.0." Haswell ought to allow for thinner, lighter designs. There may well be a market for a "toasterfridge" device in the future. Hopefully Apple is paying close attention and doesn't miss market signals the way it did with larger phones.
Not sure how Apple "missed market signals" with larger phones when the iPhone 5 dominated smartphone sales last quarter, even with the supply constraints and negative press about Maps. I, personally will be looking elsewhere if/when Apple starts making me carry an iPhone Phablet.

When Apple starts taking its queues from MS they'll truly be in trouble.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Apple isn't one to hop on the bandwagon though. They're the ones that create the bandwagon.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:01 AM   #13
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
If it didn't run Windows 8, it would be a pretty decent option...
LoL have you even used Win 8? What would YOU have it run? I think Win 8 is great and after a slight learning curve I find it easier to navigate than any other windows or mac OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Tablets have already replaced laptops for 99.9% of the general public.
Proof you're not just pulling these numbers out your butt?

Last edited by AFDoc; Feb 6, 2013 at 03:11 AM.
AFDoc is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:41 AM   #14
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Nice to see some positive feedbacks! Hope I get to play with one soon!
Obvious, since it isn't an Apple device.

If it was Apple, there would be screaming because it doesn't have a Retina display. There would be screaming because the battery doesn't last. It would be called an overpriced POS (and they don't mean point-of-sales).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thleeal View Post

30GB of space at 899. thats what in a real currency about 600. correct me if im wrong but you can get a 32 gb ipad for 480 + a keyboard case say 70 to be generous.
still 150 and your not having to use windows.
You forgot to add VAT. And you forgot to add somewhat higher cost in the UK due to sellers having to fix problems after the warranty ends. Which of course makes your point just stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSvenson View Post
Not necessarily - if "nobody* likes it, it isn't the future.
A funny thing about these predictions: Eight years ago, HP sold iPods for a short while. Someone put an original HP iPod on auction last week and wants to get $25,000 for it (I wouldn't pay $10; after eight years the battery is probably shot). The article reporting about it also linked to an article by Rob Enderle, predicting that HP would without any doubt very soon outsell Apple in iPod sales...

I think this "Surface" thing will be just as successful.

Last edited by gnasher729; Feb 6, 2013 at 04:48 AM.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:49 AM   #15
pacalis
macrumors 6502

This plugged into a 24"monitor, with a $30 logitech wireless keyboard and mouse from costco solves all my computing needs. And nearly every businesses. Plus all the flexibility needed travel.

When this drops a $100, it's a total win.

All the rest is incremental. Haswell, better battery, a second USB 3. I expect we'll see many of these in things over the next 6 months.
pacalis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:51 AM   #16
antonis
macrumors 6502a

I know that Apple made it look as an easy task to release a tablet but, dear Microsoft, guess what: it's not.

30gb free on the 64gb version ? Less than 4 hours of battery ?
antonis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:05 AM   #17
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

ffs you people need to stop throwing MBA into this debate. MBA is a laptop/notebook/whatever, Surface is a TABLET. It's a tablet that can also support full Windows 8 and just because it can, it doesnt mean you can now throw it into the category of laptops. Yes, it has the "rubber keyboard", but that is only an option and because of that it doesnt make it a laptop. So doesnt the 1000$ price.
Smartass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:13 AM   #18
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

I think there have been Windows touch notebooks/tablets for a decade.
None was a commercial success. Lets see how this one fares. It seems that it has inherited some worst things from laptops - generally very short battery life, need for keyboard, mouse. On the good side it has usual Windows software library, which, however, remains to be yet optimized to run on these tablets. Bad side is that its bloated Windows itself full of unnecessary space-eating things. So there are two big minuses, one plus. Balance is negative.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:17 AM   #19
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

...long way off from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

What happened to all those fancy-dancy tablets that Microsoft was going to make to destroy Apple? 3 years later: lameness.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:18 AM   #20
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
ffs you people need to stop throwing MBA into this debate. MBA is a laptop/notebook/whatever, Surface is a TABLET. It's a tablet that can also support full Windows 8 and just because it can, it doesnt mean you can now throw it into the category of laptops. Yes, it has the "rubber keyboard", but that is only an option and because of that it doesnt make it a laptop. So doesnt the 1000$ price.
no but the exact same internal components as a MBA do.

It has more in common with an ultrabook than an iPad whether you like it or not.
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:38 AM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
Well most of the Surface Pro reviews I've read are dumping it squarely in the laptop category, mostly because it sucks as a pure tablet (too heavy, too thick, horrible battery life). At the same though they're knocking it as a "lap" top because using it on your lap is a miserable experience. Tim Cook was right when he called this a compromised device.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:07 AM   #22
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

It does have a Mini Display port. I would like to try out my Thunderbolt display to see if it works.
BornAgainMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:43 AM   #23
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

I am currently using airserver to mirror my ipad to my laptop, which in turn projects to the screen via a VGA adaptor in my school (darn you enterprise wifi limitations and work-issued laptops with user restrictions!)

Interesting concept, but I think for now, I will stick with my macbook+ipad combo. The best of both worlds, and between both of them, I have more than enough juice to last a day's abuse.

Pricey, yes, but I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for".
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:58 PM   #24
Sixtafoua
macrumors 6502

Tablets won't replace laptops until they're truly better than a laptop, and I think the surface pro hits the nail on the head in that regard. Wether you like it or not, the surface is the future.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:12 PM   #25
monkor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtafoua View Post
Tablets won't replace laptops until they're truly better than a laptop, and I think the surface pro hits the nail on the head in that regard. Wether you like it or not, the surface is the future.
It really is. The touch screen laptop is truly something to behold, especially when it functions as a tablet as well. I've tried the Surface more than a few times, and I'm considering picking up the Pro version.

I only hope Microsoft doesn't suffer to fate of the Sega Dreamcast, for lack of a better product to exact this scenario. The Dreamcast was ahead of it's time; I mean, way ahead of it's time with online play and 480p. Unfortunately, it was early to the market and flopped, while others (PlayStation, Xbox, GameCube) copied and slightly refined it to massive levels of success.

It'd be a shame to see a company who innovated greatly suffer the same fate as Sega.
monkor is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion