Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

ProCutX App to Streamline Final Cut Pro X Editing From Your iPad

Production company and Final Cut Pro X plug-in creator Pixel Film Studios has released a new app today that allows you to control Final Cut Pro X with your iPad.

The app is a virtual representation of high-end film editing consoles that some professional editors use for big budget Hollywood movies, which allow them to quickly and easily edit lots of footage without working with a mouse and keyboard, but is streamlined and optimized for both Final Cut Pro X and iPad.

Quote:
PROCUTX breaks free from the menus and tabs to streamline editor tasks. This application gives users control over all the FCPX editing tools in one clean interface, eliminating the need for clicking and searching through the Final Cut Pro X menus. From import to export, PROCUTX can control every step of the FCPX editing process.

Features Include:

o Precision Timeline Scrubbing
o Quick Retiming
o Auto-Correct Color
o Color Grading
o Compound Clip Editing
o Import, Export, and Rendering shortcuts
o Quick Keywording
o Fast access to Tools
o System Volume Control
o Timeline Zooming
o Audio Enhancements
o Record Voiceovers
ProCutX is available in the App Store for iPad for $24.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: ProCutX App to Streamline Final Cut Pro X Editing From Your iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:26 PM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Off topic I know, but that’s one messed up home button in the picture
mrsir2009 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

This looks pretty cool. But I switched to Premiere CS6 not too long after X came out. No intention of returning to the final cut suite.
george-brooks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Apple should have come out with configurable multitouch control surfaces for all their pro apps by now, & an API for the USB bus access for lower latency interfacing like this.

As well as matching the amount of drivespace for backups on icloud to the size iPad you bought.

Apple seems to be lacking in the greater overall vision with regard to iPad software. Such awesome potential. Get on the ball, Apple.
ThunderSkunk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
Apple should have come out with configurable multitouch control surfaces for all their pro apps by now, & an API for the USB bus access for lower latency interfacing like this.

As well as matching the amount of drivespace for backups on icloud to the size iPad you bought.

Apple seems to be lacking in the greater overall vision with regard to iPad software. Such awesome potential. Get on the ball, Apple.
I answer with a question - do u think apple is lacking or smart for letting other ppl develop this saving them time and energy, then apple gets a cut?

I love the concept and will be dloading this when I get home. $25 is nothing when saving time is paramount. Time = money

Anyone who runs a business should realize that.

But yes something for aperture would be handy too. Maybe this company will develop it if they have the feedback and funds from ppl buying this product.
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:04 AM   #6
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post

This looks pretty cool. But I switched to Premiere CS6 not too long after X came out. No intention of returning to the final cut suite.
As a Windows user I've always been in the Adobe camp. I'd be interested in something like this for CS6.

Or any application, really. Is there any programmable interface app for iPad? I've never thought to look.

Hardware like this has existed for years:

Thumb resize.Thumb resize.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Shookster
macrumors member

I've been a fan of Editmote for a while:
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/editmote

It's not strictly a surface but it's got almost equivalent functionality, it's cheaper, more customizable and supports gestures.
Shookster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:51 AM   #8
LittleChief
macrumors newbie

This app looks great but I agree with 'ThunderSkunk' in wishing Apple were further along with APIs etc to really push this use case! APIs that could make great (low latency) companion apps a reality for the Mac.

I was working on a similar premise a while back now and I posted my experiences on MacRumors: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1361825

The download link for the 'Input App - First Look PDF' is probably broken now so use this one instead if you're interested http://littlefil.es/NJiX

Darrell
LittleChief is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:09 AM   #9
salacious
macrumors 6502a

They are not even doing a promo launch special price? Il stick with my shuttle pro, they should make this around £8 to even consider getting me to buy an app that's had no reviews!
salacious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I really don't get comments like these. You switched at a drop of a hat, but you have no intention of going back? Then why comment on a third party Final Cut Pro X utility that looks pretty cool and shows the strength of the platform?

What people don't understand, and it is mostly Apple's fault for the confusion, is that when Apple switched from supporting both Cocoa and Carbon developing environments to just supporting Cocoa, Apple had to rewrite Final Cut from the ground up. That is a major undertaking because Final Cut Pro 7 was huge piece of software. Apple took the same approach it did when it released OSX. It brought out a product that contained a solid foundation, but lacked many features the previous version had. Unfortunately, many of these features Pros were relying on. Apple should have foresaw this, but the way it likes secrecy sort of backfired on it.

Since the release though, Apple said it would quickly be adding features, and it temporarily put Final Cut Pro 7 back on the market. True to it's word in the fifteen months it has been out, Apple has released at least 7 significant updates. It even offers a free demo now. To each their own, but in comparison to other options, it also costs a lot less.

On the App Store, it has almost 4 out of 5 stars, which seems pretty good considering all the angry people who reviewed it when it first came out and who gave it one star (which brings the average down).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
This sounds like a great idea! But has FCP X gotten much better since its first release? I just ditched it and used Premiere ever since, and it does everything much better and faster than FCP X did at the time of release. Is it worth switching to FCP X at this time? I liked how it's simplified, but then I realized that you can only do about 10% of the things a video editor should do, not to mention the incompatibility of plugins…
You might prefer Premiere, but as I already mentioned, Apple released 7 free significant updates since the first version was released. Many people who dogged the program went back and praised the updates. Lots of people liked what Final Cut Pro X brought to the table in terms of new features, they just hated the lack of relied upon features and the initial lack of backwards compatibility between projects (since addressed).

Apple obviously is serious about the program or it wouldn't be going to town on bringing in free updates adding features so quickly. It also is clearly listening to the pro community in doing so as many of the added back features are the ones pros gripped about.
Terrin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Ed A.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrin View Post
I really don't get comments like these. You switched at a drop of a hat, but you have no intention of going back? Then why comment on a third party Final Cut Pro X utility that looks pretty cool and shows the strength of the platform?

What people don't understand, and it is mostly Apple's fault for the confusion, is that when Apple switched from supporting both Cocoa and Carbon developing environments to just supporting Cocoa, Apple had to rewrite Final Cut from the ground up. That is a major undertaking because Final Cut Pro 7 was huge piece of software. Apple took the same approach it did when it released OSX. It brought out a product that contained a solid foundation, but lacked many features the previous version had. Unfortunately, many of these features Pros were relying on. Apple should have foresaw this, but the way it likes secrecy sort of backfired on it.

Since the release though, Apple said it would quickly be adding features, and it temporarily put Final Cut Pro 7 back on the market. True to it's word in the fifteen months it has been out, Apple has released at least 7 significant updates. It even offers a free demo now. To each their own, but in comparison to other options, it also costs a lot less.

On the App Store, it has almost 4 out of 5 stars, which seems pretty good considering all the angry people who reviewed it when it first came out and who gave it one star (which brings the average down).

----------

You might prefer Premiere, but as I already mentioned, Apple released 7 free significant updates since the first version was released. Many people who dogged the program went back and praised the updates. Lots of people liked what Final Cut Pro X brought to the table in terms of new features, they just hated the lack of relied upon features and the initial lack of backwards compatibility between projects (since addressed).

Apple obviously is serious about the program or it wouldn't be going to town on bringing in free updates adding features so quickly. It also is clearly listening to the pro community in doing so as many of the added back features are the ones pros gripped about.
I'm certified in FCP 6, 7 & X, but I was using Adobe's Production Suite for a little while and I really hated it. Premiere seemed so old school compared to FCP X, that I don't use Premiere any more. I like FCP X so much that it's the only NLE I use for over a year now, I don't even revert back to FCP 7 anymore.
Ed A. is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:18 PM   #12
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

On the App Store, it has almost 4 out of 5 stars, which seems pretty good considering all the angry people who reviewed it when it first came out and who gave it one star (which brings the average down).[COLOR="#808080"]
Good post, but I think Apple ultimately did the right thing. FCP X is a long term project and Apple know that the professional transition to FCP X would also be slow, just because of corporate inertia. They figured Pros would be sensible enough to dabble in FCP X for minor projects, and get the feel of it before doing any real work in it. So in that light certain legacy features weren't worth implementing right away. EDLs for example. Apple might be guessing that by the time FCP X was widely taken up, EDLs would be obsolete anyway. What would be the point of rewriting all that EDL code?
mw360 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:26 AM   #13
cambox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw360 View Post
Good post, but I think Apple ultimately did the right thing. FCP X is a long term project and Apple know that the professional transition to FCP X would also be slow, just because of corporate inertia. They figured Pros would be sensible enough to dabble in FCP X for minor projects, and get the feel of it before doing any real work in it. So in that light certain legacy features weren't worth implementing right away. EDLs for example. Apple might be guessing that by the time FCP X was widely taken up, EDLs would be obsolete anyway. What would be the point of rewriting all that EDL code?
I have to totally disagree, in the real world (I work in the real world) FCPx has caused untold damage to larger FCP7 legacy users. I work for the BBC in London and we all use FCP7 as FCPx just cant be used as its not a fit programme for us here. We are now stuck using FCP7 on limited licence and at the moment there are many systems being evaluated for use and research into where we go next. I had a high level meeting yesterday and one issue raised is that student who are now using FCPx are not being employed readily as they have never used FCP7, but those who have and are quick are being considered.

The issue is time, training costs and capital spend. Some of the larger companies invested millions for a system which has now been switched without consultation.
Apple switched from being a pro users software/hardware company to being a consumer only driven company in really quick time, so quick that no one realsed until it was to late. The larger organisations who bought into the 'Pro' side of Apple are now regretting this and will think twice before buying into a system thats just a toy at present even though you may feel it will get better and im sure it will. To late for real pro users and Apple knew this and are happy for the title to slip as they have no intention of only being a consumer company and not a pro intense one which they once where.

In essence, if you want to make corporate films stick with FCPx and if you ever wanted to work making real TV/Film programmes look at whats being used out there as if you walk in wanting a job make sure its a proper editing system you know how to use, anything less and you just wont get considered.
cambox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw360 View Post
That is the benefit of rewriting a program, you can get rid of legacy code.
Terrin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:55 PM   #15
LaDirection
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What people don't understand, and it is mostly Apple's fault for the confusion, is that when Apple switched from supporting both Cocoa and Carbon developing environments to just supporting Cocoa, Apple had to rewrite Final Cut from the ground up. That is a major undertaking because Final Cut Pro 7 was huge piece of software. Apple took the same approach it did when it released OSX. It brought out a product that contained a solid foundation, but lacked many features the previous version had.
You are surely joking. A "solid foundation"??? Apple did not write a new app from scratch. Apple took the iMovie application and modified it into FCPX. It has NO professional foundation. Even as of now, it's far from having what we had in Final Cut Pro two years ago, let alone what Premiere has today.

The fanboys who bought the apps gave it 4 starts ? Awesome, good for them. NOT A SINGLE PRO USER IS OR WILL BE USING THAT SOFTWARE. Period. Apple took over the entire market with FCP. It bought Shake, FinalTouch HD (Color), only to kill them off with absolutely no valid reason. The professional market is extremely hard to win and Apple had it. They have now lost it forever. They just showed them "buy software and hardware from us, then we'll cancel everything and ******* you over on a whim."

As for this iPad app it's utterly ridiculous. The entire point of a control surface is to allow you to work with TACTILE controls while keeping your eyes on the screen. Having to look at the iPad to find the button's location makes this a gadget for non-professional geeks, much like FCPX itself now is.
LaDirection is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:24 PM   #16
Ed A.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDirection View Post
NOT A SINGLE PRO USER IS OR WILL BE USING THAT SOFTWARE. Period.
Why so bitter?
I'm a pro user and I use FCP X. In fact, I prefer it to FCP 7, Adobe Premiere and Avid Media Composer (I've used them all). I work for a local television station and I also run a commercial videography company. As I mentioned before, I'm Apple Pro Certified in FCP 6, 7 & X.
Ed A. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:46 AM   #17
linuxcooldude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The fanboys who bought the apps gave it 4 starts ? Awesome, good for them. NOT A SINGLE PRO USER IS OR WILL BE USING THAT SOFTWARE. Period. Apple took over the entire market with FCP. It bought Shake, FinalTouch HD (Color), only to kill them off with absolutely no valid reason. The professional market is extremely hard to win and Apple had it. They have now lost it forever. They just showed them "buy software and hardware from us, then we'll cancel everything and ******* you over on a whim."
Not true, professionals are using this software. Just not as many at first. New generations of video editors won't care or won't cling to the past with something that did not effect them. FCP X with all its updates is already more then usable and will only continue to get better. So you will eventually see a large majority of editors using FCP X once again.

Quote:
As for this iPad app it's utterly ridiculous. The entire point of a control surface is to allow you to work with TACTILE controls while keeping your eyes on the screen. Having to look at the iPad to find the button's location makes this a gadget for non-professional geeks, much like FCPX itself now is.
While you may not get tactile feedback like a hardware controller, people will continue to find new uses for the iPad regardless.
Even with me using a keyboard & mouse I still find myself having to look back at the keyboard every time I remove my hands, and lost count to the amount of times I inadvertently pressed the wrong key because of that.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You are surely joking. A "solid foundation"??? Apple did not write a new app from scratch. Apple took the iMovie application and modified it into FCPX. It has NO professional foundation. Even as of now, it's far from having what we had in Final Cut Pro two years ago, let alone what Premiere has today.

You clearly have little idea of what you are talking about or are just trying to mess with people's feathers. Apple did rewrite the program from scratch as it had to do with a lot of programs. Do an internet search on Final Cut Pro X, several sources will validate that claim.

Apple likely killed Shake for the same reason it rewrote Final Cut Pro. Namely, to support Shake it would have had to rewrite it as well because it was a carbon app. When Apple dropped support for carbon, Shake had to be rewritten to work. Apple likely wasn't making enough money off of Shake to support the rewrite. To bad, as quite a few professionals liked the program.

As far as fanboys go, the App had a one out of five star rating until Apple started rapidly updating the apps. Many so called fans boys who gave the app a one star started raising the stars with the updates. I doubt anybody is going to pay $299 for an app and rate it highly if it stinks, regardless of your feelings towards Apple's products.

As far as professionals not using the app goes, I guess time will tell. As far as Premiere goes, it's biggest problem is it is made by Adobe.
Terrin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:50 AM   #19
cdarlington1
macrumors regular

Quote:

I've been an editor for 17 years and love FCPX. I also use FCP7, Avid Symphony. Always depends on the project. Is FCPX perfect? No but it's my go to software at the moment...
cdarlington1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:09 PM   #20
nubero
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

Well, I am switching our six FinalCut 7 seats to Premiere later this month because the “7 free significant updates since the first version” have done nothing for us. Adobe makes some crappy bloatware but that still beats iMovie Pro by a long shot.

Oh and by the way: Your OS X development comparison doesn't stand. Apple had a roadmap back then that they also communicated to their customers. They told people that OS 9 would run inside a box and that the machines would be capable of dual boot for a while.

So if I may paraphrase you one more time by saying “What people don't understand”:
People seem to not understand that asset management, collaborative work, integration with 3rd party applications and a general application design, that let's people work in their individual ways, is important in a pro app. None of which iMovie Pro will ever have. How can I be so certain? Because the damage is done in such deep layers, they would have to rewrite the whole thing yet again.
nubero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 AM   #21
iheartiphone4
macrumors member

Quote:
I've used cs6 and final cut x and final cut x is WAY better and way faster and smoother. This app is amazingly sweet and just adds to the better experience of final cut x

----------

I want it like a fat kid want cake!
iheartiphone4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:24 PM   #22
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You'll be back. Sooner or later... you'll see.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Ed A.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
You'll be back. Sooner or later... you'll see.
Especially if Adobe feels like dropping Mac support for Premiere like they did once before.
Ed A. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #24
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed A. View Post
Especially if Adobe feels like dropping Mac support for Premiere like they did once before.
Well, that was caused by Final Cut Pro, which trap a lot of Premiere users.
Final Cut Pro X was released too soon without a choice. Now that it has a chance to start evolving, it's up to Apple to really make it better than Premiere.
I have used Premiere for Windows in the past, and I had a lot of issues with it; it was terrible! Well, that was about a decade ago.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:00 PM   #25
adityanag
macrumors newbie

Can this connect to multiple computers?

I use two separate machines with FCPX... Can I buy one copy of this and have to connect to two machines? Not at the same time, obviously!

If someone's bought the app, can you check this please
adityanag is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion