Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi people

Since a few updates back my MacBook isn't accepting them any more, it's stuck on the 14.2.4 Office version.
How can I have a fresh start and know where I missed an update because with all updates I try it says the proper software is missing on the hard drive?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot6.png
    Screenshot6.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 181

petercl

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
USA
Mine didn't update once because I renamed or changed the app folder. Did you do either of those things?

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Mine didn't update once because I renamed or changed the app folder. Did you do either of those things?
No, but I did delete some parts of the Office pack, like Microsoft Messenger which is to me useless.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No, but I did delete some parts of the Office pack, like Microsoft Messenger which is to me useless.

That's probably the issue....I did that and had to re-install, but I have DVD copies. I just left the junk I don't use there...MS is fussy as. I only have it for Word really, and in fact since I sold my 17" MBP have a spare copy that isn't in use at present. Just have it on my Imac now...I think you are going to have to start afresh.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Restarting after each update refreshes the file that tells updaters what version is installed. This is supposed to happen automatically but often fails. Restarting forces this file to update.

In your case you'll probably need to re-install. If you have one of the original install CDs, you can download the trial so you start at 14.2.0 (it's possible they have refreshed it to 14.3.0). You can use your CD Key to activate. Whatever you do, update past 14.2.0. It was full of problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

Current versions:
  • Office 2011: 14.3.0 (SP3)
  • Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) v2.3.6
  • Microsoft Error Reporting (MERP) v2.2.9

You can find the MAU and MERP in the root Library/Application Support/Microsoft folder.

Update using the Microsoft Autoupdater (MAU):

• Open any Office application and select "Check for Updates" under Help in the Menu bar. Once MAU is launched, select "Keep in Dock"
  • Log out/in as described below.
  • Select the MAU in the Dock and download the updater.
  • After it downloads, quit the MAU then install.
  • RESTART
  • Update until there are no more updates**. Currently that's 14.3.0

No need to restart after updating the Microsoft AutoUpdater (MAU) and Microsoft Error Reporting (MERP)

**This Identity Cannot Be Opened With This Version of Outlook"

This message usually means any Identity saved with a newer version will not open in an earlier version. We see this a lot when users do a re-install of Office then fail to upgrade.

There was a database upgrade in 14.1.0, 14.1.3 and again in 14.2.0. Until you update the Identity will not open.​

Disable Apps:

Log out under Apple in the Menu bar. When you log in, hold down the Shift key. This disables all login items including the hidden ones like the Microsoft Database daemon and SyncServicesAgent. All browsers must be quit to update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.