Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gavzooka

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hi

I've got an iMac coming today, I have a few iPads and a MacBook Pro. In the house I have a Roku and a couple of Xbox's.

I'd like an Apple TV but I can't justify in my mind what it gives that is above what I already have? I'm also not convinced that I'd used it regularly enough to justify the spend...

Can anyone suggest ideas or persuade me? What benefits would it have for me? I know Airplay but will I use it? I'm not convinced......

Thanks in advance...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
airplay, and access to the iTunes store.
otherwise, you've got everything you need with the roku. Although, the interface on the aTV is a bit more polished

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Depends on what you have and what you want to do.

If you've got a decent iTunes library with lots of movies, TV shows and music, you'll need an ATV to watch it on your TV. Also, as the previous poster mentioned, if you want AirPlay, you'll need an Apple TV (it does come in handy if say, a Hulu show is Web-only and you really want to watch it on your TV).

If all you do is stream content from Hulu, Netflix or other service, then an ATV wouldn't help you much.

Frankly, I love my ATV. I've got a very large library of movies and TV shows and I do some streaming on Hulu. The ATV isn't perfect and I wish it had more streaming content available like the Roku, but that's a topic for a different thread.

MacuserinMSland

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Pac NW
I ran through the same series of thoughts, my BD Player streams netflix etc. I finally went with the Apple TV because i found myself using iTunes more and more, not for classics like are on netflix, but for new releases of movies.

I also and an NHL Gamecenter Live Subscriber and the ATV has access built in, that has been the single biggest use of the ATV since mid January for me.

Bk800

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Chicago
ATv or not

I brought an atv about a month or so ago and was somewhat disappointed, my biggest disappointment is the content or better yet the lack of content, and if you want to make purchases, you can only do them through apple, which in my opinion cost more than Amazon; so now I have a Ruko, which has an awful lot of content including Amazon, on which I do most of my purchases. I have the Ruko on my main tv and the atv on my Mac hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.