Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Rabbit: A Video Sharing and Chat Service Launching on the Mac Only

At one point in internet history, desktop instant messaging was likely the fastest growing segment of communication technologies. In 2002, even Apple introduced its own messaging client called iChat that was bundled with OS X. That growth, however, stalled significantly with the adoption of services such as SMS and devices such as the iPhone took hold over the past 5 to 10 years. Apple's own iChat has since evolved into Messages -- primarily, a mobile messaging service.

Today, a startup company called Rabbit is launching a closed beta of their "video chat and content sharing application". But the best way to describe it is a cool and very modern implementation of instant messaging.

The most compelling feature of the app can be distilled down to this: group video conferencing with the ability to screencast music, movies and applications from your Mac.

This means you can watch a movie from a service such as Netflix with your friends in real time. Or you can crop and share a specific part of your web browser or any other Mac app and broadcast it to your friends.

The app is a native Mac client (other platforms to come later), and offers the ability to video chat with an unlimited number of people. People are grouped into Rooms and presented to you in priority based on your own friends, and within each room, individual groups can participate in their own conversations.

Their promo video is clearly aimed at the teen audience, but starts by stylistically showing a user logging in, joining a room, playing/sharing a song, hovering (listening in) on a public conversation, and then joining that conversation. Later, it shows the sharing of apps and video as well as a debate on the relative strength of vampire-love.

Rabbit is launching in a "closed" Beta today. Interested users can sign up on their website, and beta invites will be sent out shortly. Once you are a beta user, you can then freely invite any of your Facebook friends to also become beta users. The service and download are free and requires OS X 10.7 or higher.

Article Link: Rabbit: A Video Sharing and Chat Service Launching on the Mac Only
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Sky Blue

UI looks ... weird
Sky Blue is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Redundant in my eyes.

You already have a lot of more mature services like Facetime, Skype etc. on OS X.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Grimace
macrumors 68040

Crashed every time I tried to open it. It may need a few more bugs worked out.
Grimace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:11 AM   #5
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
Redundant in my eyes.

You already have a lot of more mature services like Facetime, Skype etc. on OS X.
No, it isn't redundant at all. When I went to college, that meant that all of my high school friends became long distance friends for the most part. We always watched some shows together beforehand, and we still do; the only difference is we have to use skype group calls. Do you realize how annoying and unintuitive it is to all load up the show/movie on hulu/netflix, wait for it to load, then countdown the play button and hope we're all synced up? It's too much hassle.

Honestly, this is the service I have always dreamed of having. The only downside is you have to have the camera on, which is a bit dumb, as we usually just voice chat; but that won't be a problem a simple ripped sticky note cant solve

Needless to say, I'm excited for this app!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Crashed every time I tried to open it. It may need a few more bugs worked out.
It opened just fine for me without any issues on my ML MBP 2011.
thisisdallas is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:15 AM   #6
samcraig
macrumors G5

I'm pretty sure the sharing of movies from Netflix isn't going to fly - if that is indeed one of the functions. Cease and desist in 3..2...1...
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:41 AM   #7
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I'm pretty sure the sharing of movies from Netflix isn't going to fly - if that is indeed one of the functions. Cease and desist in 3..2...1...
Agreed. I think most of the media functions may be crippled very soon.
cmChimera is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:01 AM   #8
OddyOh
macrumors regular

Quote:
This. My first thought was NHL Gamecenter Live, with the same outcome.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's what I thought but you can already do something similar to that on PS3 (http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2011/...stream-radioio), so why not?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:17 AM   #10
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

The UI looks pretty awful, but the idea is nice. Although, it exists elsewhere. Skype allows screen and file sharing too, why not just use Skype? What exactly does this service offer that Skype doesn't?

Of course, the iPod was not nearly the first hard drive mp3 player. Nor was it the cheapest, or the most well known, and we saw how that turned out. So who knows...

I do like the screen sharing feature. I use that in Skype a lot. I'm curious how Netflix/Hulu, etc. view the idea of screen sharing content. Logic dictates that those same friends could be gathered around the TV, but media licensing doesn't always use a lot of logic. (For example, I can watch some shows on my computer, but not my set top box on my TV! Yes, I know it's because of the chokehold from the Cable providers, but for the consumer, it's ludacris)

One example where screen sharing is nice, is with my grandmother who is always having computer issues, and lives 2 hours away. We get on skype, I pull up parallels running Windows 7 (same as her laptop) and can walk her through what to do, actually SHOWING her what to do. (She wants to learn, she always tells me, so she doesn't like remote desktop. She wants to follow along and do it herself!)

But... I dunno. It looks like Google+ hangouts with a skin. Or maybe skype.. with a skin. Again, aside from a cheezy ad that literally included the phrase "Vampire love is the strongest love", what does this offer to an already saturated and bloated market?

Last edited by el-John-o; Feb 7, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
el-John-o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:03 AM   #11
gadgetguy03
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-John-o View Post
The UI looks pretty awful, but the idea is nice. Although, it exists elsewhere. Skype allows screen and file sharing too, why not just use Skype? What exactly does this service offer that Skype doesn't?
Skype doesn't share the computer audio. Hence I share a movie on Netflix and can't hear anything because it's being piped into Skype through Soundflower.
gadgetguy03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:09 AM   #12
johnmacward
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
No, it isn't redundant at all. When I went to college, that meant that all of my high school friends became long distance friends for the most part. We always watched some shows together beforehand, and we still do; the only difference is we have to use skype group calls. Do you realize how annoying and unintuitive it is to all load up the show/movie on hulu/netflix, wait for it to load, then countdown the play button and hope we're all synced up? It's too much hassle.

Honestly, this is the service I have always dreamed of having. The only downside is you have to have the camera on, which is a bit dumb, as we usually just voice chat; but that won't be a problem a simple ripped sticky note cant solve
I don't know about you but this seems a little odd. You would video conf with friends to sit quietly in your own respective rooms to watch a film together. There is something incredibly lonely yet NOT, about that.

At the same time, that's friendship for you and it sounds impressive. You do better than me in keeping in contact with people!
johnmacward is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Not a fan of the UI, but if the movie viewing works, then I will definitely use this. But not until it becomes multiplatform.

Skype seems to be getting worse all the time. It needs some competition.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:47 AM   #14
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

Sounds like a lonely way to watch a show.
mr.steevo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Spetsnazos
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

only in Indiana...
Spetsnazos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:51 AM   #16
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
Redundant in my eyes.

dog pile.

Skype drops so often nowadays. its screen sharing feature plummeted on mac since you can't share a specific window, but instead only the entire screen.

i used to screencast often, to watch films and share music.

viber is more reliable than skype on the iPad/Pod/Mac.

i am excited for this software, even if it is initially buggy, its clear the makers are passionate about these features that are lacking in skype.

clearly the objective of the app is about sharing - sharing music, tv, film, or any content on our computers. and its intention is clearly to do this better than skype's offering.

skype is a lazy effort, and since microsoft took over, its not been getting better.

facetime is irrelevant. for the same reasons as skype, its just BASIC. its another 'BASIC' essential by apple, much like iChat and iMessage. Messages doesn't even work well on the Mac at the moment, and Apple don't seem that interested in getting us users being able to talk to most or all users from all kinds of IM services, like Skype/MSN.

apple don't care about the same things that Rabbit seem to care about. i may be part of a minority, but that minority certainly will show that this effort and app called Rabbit isn't as redundant as you feel.

perhaps speak for yourself more often - its redundant to you because perhaps you have no interest in the sharing features.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:10 AM   #17
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

awesome!

whats up with my new air 13 2013?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:14 AM   #18
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Video chatting has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.

I think that the main unsolved problem with video chat is that everyone thought it would be cool to have a virtual presence, but in reality it's uncomfortable. When you sit with people in real life, you don't stare at them. But with video chatting, what other choice do you have but to stare?

Still, I'll try this app out. Video chatting still has a little bit of that Jetsons allure to it after all these years.
swingerofbirch is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:16 AM   #19
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
Video chatting has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.

I think that the main unsolved problem with video chat is that everyone thought it would be cool to have a virtual presence, but in reality it's uncomfortable. When you sit with people in real life, you don't stare at them. But with video chatting, what other choice do you have but to stare?

Still, I'll try this app out. Video chatting still has a little bit of that Jetsons allure to it after all these years.
Exactly! I think the concept of this app is brilliant, they should just have an option to eliminate cameras, sticking to only using mics and text chatting.
thisisdallas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:59 AM   #20
pmz
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly! I think the concept of this app is brilliant, they should just have an option to eliminate cameras, sticking to only using mics and text chatting.
I'm sure thats how ugly people feel about it.

The rest of world seems OK with it, especially in the business arena.

This product is just another niched hangout.
pmz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:50 PM   #21
reel2reel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
I'm sure thats how ugly people feel about it.

The rest of world seems OK with it, especially in the business arena.

This product is just another niched hangout.
Because "ugly" people don't exist in the "business arena," I guess.

"You've got all the skills we need and would love to offer you this position, but unfortunately you're ugly and old."

Huh? What??
reel2reel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:11 AM   #22
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
No doubt. I can't believe it's this far.
Quote:
So...a phone?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:09 PM   #23
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
So...a phone?
ROFLMAO! He really set himself up for this. Good grab and excellent reply.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:10 AM   #24
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Perhaps I'm playing with semantics, but let's make a distinction between looking at the person with whom you are conversing, and "staring". I look at the person when I am talking with them. A good friend of mine, who lives in the UK, and I talk by Face Time several times a week, and we don't feel uncomfortable while video talking.

Also, a picky note...the camera in my MBP is placed on the upper edge of the display frame. When I'm talking with my friend, I'm looking at the screen, so my eyes are not directed at the camera, but below it. I don't "stare" at the camera, I look at the screen.

Last edited by Shrink; Feb 7, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Shrink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:45 AM   #25
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

I love a Mac exclusive. All your conversation in video chat will automatically be with smarter, better looking people.

Zing!
SmileyBlast! is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion