Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mulderalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Hi guys,

Every time I try and tranfer certain purchased items from iTunes to my first generation iPad I get a pop-up saying that it's not possible.

Screen+Shot+2013-02-06+at+10.39.33+PM.png

Now I have no idea what to change or how to change it to get my purchased items to my iPad. Anyone any ideas?

Please help! I've been trying to figure this out for a few days now but just can't seem to find an answer. My iPad is completely stock, no weird jail breaking or anything like that. Even restored the iPad and started from scratch and still get this message.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

• Screen+Shot+2013-02-06+at+10.39.33+PM.png
    Screen+Shot+2013-02-06+at+10.39.33+PM.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 64

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I know iTunes tries to apply some kind of sync logic based on the media (like resolution) ... I'd try configuring the device for manual management (vs. sync), and then you can try to simply drag and drop the content from your iTunes library to your device (I don't think any kind of "filtering" takes place when doing it manually).

Mulderalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Ok, I'll give it a try. Any idea what's going on? I haven't had this problem before and don't have it with movies, only with certain tv-shows...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Ok, I'll give it a try. Any idea what's going on? I haven't had this problem before and don't have it with movies, only with certain tv-shows...

It's because the videos aren't compatible with the iPad. You may look into using Handbrake to transcode them into an iPad friendly format.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Check the files on those shows. If you bought the HD and downloaded the 1080 version that is likely why they aren't syncing. Only the 720 a supported by the original ipad

Mulderalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Check the files on those shows. If you bought the HD and downloaded the 1080 version that is likely why they aren't syncing. Only the 720 a supported by the original ipad

Thanks Charlituna, the shows I downloaded from the iTunes store are in HD 1080 and if the original iPad can't play that format I think that's what's stopping me from syncing them.

@Hazycloud, can I use Handbrake to put them into a version (720) that is supported by the original iPad?

Thanks for the replies guys :)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks Charlituna, the shows I downloaded from the iTunes store are in HD 1080 and if the original iPad can't play that format I think that's what's stopping me from syncing them.

@Hazycloud, can I use Handbrake to put them into a version (720) that is supported by the original iPad?

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Sorry, I missed the part that said they were purchased. You can tell iTunes to only download the 720p versions instead of the 1080p ones.

You can change it under Preferences. Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.35.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.35.38 PM.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 48

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

You probably could. Handbrake can read past DVD copy protection so it can probably read around the DRM on the files. But it would be just as easy and not much more time to just download the proper files since you get both (and the SD) when you buy them.

In fact I've found that on the original iPad the SD files were fine for my viewing tastes and using those rather than the 720 saved space

Mulderalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
You probably could. Handbrake can read past DVD copy protection so it can probably read around the DRM on the files. But it would be just as easy and not much more time to just download the proper files since you get both (and the SD) when you buy them.

In fact I've found that on the original iPad the SD files were fine for my viewing tastes and using those rather than the 720 saved space

Guys thanks a lot for the help! I'll make sure to change my preferences for the future and download the SD versions of the ones I already have. This is something that I've already tried but wasn't able to figure out. Can I just re-download the SD version from the iTunes store or can I do it from my Library?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Guys thanks a lot for the help! I'll make sure to change my preferences for the future and download the SD versions of the ones I already have. This is something that I've already tried but wasn't able to figure out. Can I just re-download the SD version from the iTunes store or can I do it from my Library?

You can redownload from the store. But there's an odd bug on your iPad that mit trip you up so do it from your computer. It's just easier.

Make sure your preferences are set to download the proper file format. And if you have iTunes 11 to show iTunes in the could purchases. Then you can look in your regular library and see everything you bought with a cloud for the stuff you don't have local. A tap and down it comes.

Mulderalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
You can redownload from the store. But there's an odd bug on your iPad that mit trip you up so do it from your computer. It's just easier.

Make sure your preferences are set to download the proper file format. And if you have iTunes 11 to show iTunes in the could purchases. Then you can look in your regular library and see everything you bought with a cloud for the stuff you don't have local. A tap and down it comes.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.