Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Intuitive Email Management App 'Mailbox' Now Available in App Store

Mailbox, the highly anticipated email management app from Orchestra,*launched today.*The app is designed to work with Gmail + iPhone and uses a simple design that incorporates intuitive touch gestures.

A quick swipe to the right removes emails from the inbox and archives them, while a longer slide deletes them. A swipe to the left activates a "Snooze" function, which puts emails out of sight and out of mind until later, and drag gestures make reorganization of the inbox a simple task.
Quote:
Mailbox is a mobile-first email experience that challenges the archaic assumptions about how email should work and reimagines the inbox for a world on the go. It's a new way of looking at your email, but when you use Mailbox for the first time, we believe you'll say "of course."
Because the Mailbox app received an overwhelming amount of interest after it was announced in December, a reservation system was implemented to handle demand and to prevent server overload.

Reservations are currently being filled on a first-come first served basis. Users that have not already signed up to use Mailbox can download the app to reserve a spot in line. Users who did reserve a spot can enter reservation information into the app, and all users can see their place in line in real time. At this time, there are no estimates on how long the wait to use the app might be.

Mailbox is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Intuitive Email Management App 'Mailbox' Now Available in App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:07 PM   #2
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Wondering if this will replace my GMAIL app...

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
BrockC
macrumors regular

This is awesome! Makes me realize how many improvements could be made throughout iOS. . Can't wait for 7!
BrockC is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Razeus
macrumors 68040

So much for the email I was suppose to get when this launched...

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5
John.B
macrumors 68040

Hype-ware.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Hype-ware.
40451 people in front of me to dl..
216K behind

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7
corywright
macrumors newbie

Come on MacRumors, two links to it's appshopper page, and not a single link to the app's own website?
corywright is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:22 PM   #8
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

People in front of you 174,602...
spazzcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:24 PM   #9
mw360
macrumors 6502a

What's all this about server overload? Whose server? Why?
mw360 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:25 PM   #10
bushido
macrumors 601

is this supposed to be some viral marketing crap? signing up to download a free app? lol ... they must swim in "demand" for an email app
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by corywright View Post
Come on MacRumors, two links to it's appshopper page, and not a single link to the app's own website?
They should have called the app anything but mailbox. It's a pain to search for in the app store.
spazzcat is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Black107
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
They should have called the app anything but mailbox. It's a pain to search for in the app store.
App Store vanity urls to the rescue!

In the mean time, searching for Mailbox Orchestra should get you close.

33k in front, this could take a while.
Black107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:51 PM   #13
aajeevlin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hype-ware.
I second this, either make it a pay app or just let people download and run it. This kind of marketing scheme is retarded. I deleted the app already, will check again in um...few weeks (if I actually care enough to check again) to see if I can just download it and start running it all other normal apps. Thank, but no thanks.
aajeevlin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:05 PM   #14
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Hype-ware.
Well advertised Hype-ware too.

Joins the list with Clear and the others. (IMO of course)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:24 PM   #15
jetlitheone
macrumors 6502

I had to restore my text messages so the code is gone :/ anyway to get it?
jetlitheone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlitheone View Post
I had to restore my text messages so the code is gone :/ anyway to get it?
Send them a tweet/email them, they seem to be good about helping people out and retrieving their codes.
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

I really wish apple would revamp their email apps. The osx version is horrible unless you have one account and never use reminders, organizing or anything else.

The reordering is such a smart idea. I wish they made this for OSX as well
aloshka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:29 PM   #18
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

The app LOOKS great, but with 140K people ahead of me (and I "registered" weeks ago), it'll be 3-4 weeks before I actually get to use the app.

No thanks. I'm simply not waiting that long. Poor roll out, IMHO.
xraydoc is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Mike84
macrumors 6502a

I have noticed that the numbers in front of me are moving much faster. Perhaps they are slowly increasing the speed of people with access.
Mike84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Tmelon
macrumors 6502a

65,000 in front of me. Looks like I'm one of the early ones.
Tmelon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:02 AM   #21
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
The app LOOKS great, but with 140K people ahead of me (and I "registered" weeks ago), it'll be 3-4 weeks before I actually get to use the app.

No thanks. I'm simply not waiting that long. Poor roll out, IMHO.
It's a sensible roll-out. Gradually increasing the users/load on their servers is the best way to handle something like this. Letting millions of users sign up at once and then find your infrastructure can't cope would be a PR disaster.

I don't like this "give it to me now" culture. I have been following this app's development for months. I am 307,000 in line and I'm happy to wait. When I can eventually use the app they'll have ironed out any issues & optimised a few things, so yeah, happy to wait.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:52 AM   #22
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
It's a sensible roll-out. Gradually increasing the users/load on their servers is the best way to handle something like this. Letting millions of users sign up at once and then find your infrastructure can't cope would be a PR disaster.

I don't like this "give it to me now" culture. I have been following this app's development for months. I am 307,000 in line and I'm happy to wait. When I can eventually use the app they'll have ironed out any issues & optimised a few things, so yeah, happy to wait.
And this isn't a PR problem? Build up hype around an app, put it up for download, then make people wait weeks (?) to actually use it? There's 140+K people in "line" and with one to two allowed in per minute - with no communication from the developers - we could be in for a very long wait. I'm supposed to wait how long to use a free email client?? Sure at some point it'll go faster, but a little communication from the developer (beyond their high-priced demo video) would be nice.

I would have preferred to pay for a service that was up and running when it was advertised to me. Run a closed beta test, if you must, but I'm not going to wait for it once it's "released". You have my attention... Lose it at your own risk.

Regardless of it all, I am the customer and I'm allowed to complain. They're offering something that right now they have no way of delivering. I have every right to walk away and grumble about their product.
xraydoc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:46 PM   #23
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
While I agree with their engineering decision, it is poorly executed PR wise.

The app should have been launched with (1) "beta" tag firmly in place, (2) give at least a rough conservative estimate as to when user is expected to get the spot, and (3) demo mode so that user can get some idea as to how the app will work.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:13 PM   #24
RJCP
macrumors 6502

If this app's GUI is an omen to what's to come in iOS... Wow! Yes, please! The dialogue boxes are gorgeous!
RJCP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:50 AM   #25
derek4484
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCP View Post
If this app's GUI is an omen to what's to come in iOS... Wow! Yes, please! The dialogue boxes are gorgeous!
You mean they look just like Android's Jelly Bean dont you? The menu list looks identical to the menu list in Google + app. And the dialogue boxes are not that great, they're plain grey with white text, just like a lot of stuff in Jelly Bean. I dont care for this app that much.
derek4484 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion