Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Issues Statement About Returning Cash to Shareholders

Apple has issued a press release reiterating its commitment to return some of its extremely large cash pile to shareholders, saying that Apple management and the Board of Directors are in "active discussions" about how to return cash to shareholders.

This follows letter sent to Apple shareholders this morning by Greenlight Capital [PDF], a major Apple shareholder, arguing that the company "must examine all of its options to unlock the growing value of its balance sheet".

Apple's statement:
Quote:
By early last year, Apple's cash balance had built to a point beyond what we needed to run our business and maintain flexibility to take advantage of strategic opportunities, so we announced a plan to return $45 billion to shareholders over three years. As of next week we will have executed $10 billion of that plan.

We find ourselves in the fortunate position of continuing to generate large amounts of cash, including $23 billion in cash flow from operations in the last quarter alone.

Apple's management team and Board of Directors have been in active discussions about returning additional cash to shareholders. As part of our review, we will thoroughly evaluate Greenlight Capital's current proposal to issue some form of preferred stock. We welcome Greenlight's views and the views of all of our shareholders.
Apple's stock price rose sharply in the minutes following the release.

Article Link: Apple Issues Statement About Returning Cash to Shareholders
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
portishead
Banned

Randy Moss would approve of the Straight Cash Homey.
portishead is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603

In other news, BlackBerry...
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #4
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
Trying to decide if I should buy some more AAPL.
voyagerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
applegigs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerd View Post
Trying to decide if I should buy some more AAPL.
Did that now is the time !
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Squilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by applegigs View Post
It's gonna skyrocket?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
It's gonna skyrocket?
It's gonna make a bunch of money for Greenlight Capitol.

Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:17 PM   #8
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

I find all the "give to the loyal customers" or "give raises to staff and retail" very funny.

They are hoarding Shareholders money not anyone else's. All they are really doing is giving the money back to the rightful owners.
luqtotheman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:18 PM   #9
actionjunky
macrumors newbie

No Dividend for Me, Please

Keep the 2.7% dividend. You are going to need the cash for future technology and legal battles ahead. Just grow the stock value by delivering products we don't know we want yet. If you do, and the stock price growth reflects it, I doubt anyone is going to miss the dividend.
actionjunky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjunky View Post
Keep the 2.7% dividend. You are going to need the cash for future technology and legal battles ahead. Just grow the stock value by delivering products we don't know we want yet. If you do, and the stock price growth reflects it, I doubt anyone is going to miss the dividend.
I'm european so the dividend is taxed twice, i lose a total of 35% on tax. I hate that, a stock buyback would be better or just invest in a new daughter company to build a self sustained tech-city or something, its a crime not to do something bold with that kind of cash.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:49 PM   #11
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjunky View Post
You don't need billions for legal battles. Apple spends a lot on lawyers, but it doesn't add up into several billion a year. Even the largest US lawfirm only pull in about $1 billion in revenue and that is with a thousand plus lawyers working full time. You're just thinking in the wrong order of magnitude on legal costs. Now losing legal battles I guess there could be damages. But Apple hasn't really lost anything that significant ever.

Apple is already funding R&D fine. None of this money is being used on R&D, there are huge amounts of cash coming in every week, so there is going to be plenty of money for R&D in the future. No one is suggesting skimping on R&D, but the fact is that Apple can't think of anything to spend this money on. And the scale of this money (I suspect a billion dollars is more than you really realize) means you can't spend this money hiring engineers and software developers, those folks just aren't that expensive.

And with iPad mini and iPhone 5 getting into China, there is just gobs of money coming down the pipe. The tablet market is just getting started. Apple still struggles to fulfill demand for the iPhone during launch quarters. There is plenty of room for growth in revenue and margins are staying strong. It is a great problem to have but it remains silly for Apple's board to just keep sitting on this cash. Remember, they had a $40 billion cash pile at the end of 2008. They never used that money, it has just continued to be added to.

Last edited by TallManNY; Feb 7, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
TallManNY is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:23 PM   #12
jav6454
macrumors G5

Why not simply buy back stock? Much more effective and increases value
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:23 PM   #13
realeric
macrumors 6502a

Steve would never allow this. This is the difference between an owner and an employee who must show something in a short period of time. Apple doomed.
realeric is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #14
SoApple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
Steve would never allow this. This is the difference between an owner and an employee who must show something in a short period of time. Apple doomed.
Really?

How do people come up with these comments?
SoApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Reelknead1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by applegigs View Post
The time to buy was 440-450. I bet we see a slight pull back from this tomorrow.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:27 PM   #16
rMBP13
Banned

Great news for me as a shareholder
rMBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #17
temna
macrumors regular

Doesn't anyone have issues with the way Wall Street can blackmail companies like this? Personally I think Apple should have used some of that cash to sue/harass Einhorn into the Stone Age.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:38 PM   #18
mcfrazieriv
macrumors member

How about invest 20 billion more into research and development
mcfrazieriv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:35 PM   #19
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfrazieriv View Post
How? Do you suggest they go to the R&D store and say, "I'd like to order $20 billion in research please."

Assuming an engineer or software developer costs about $250,000 in salary and $250,000 in yearly supplies, office space, equipment (pretty large assumption) that would require hiring 40,000 new R&D folks. Setting aside Apple's retail stores, that would more than double the current number of Apple employees. Where would you find all these engineers and software developers.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:44 PM   #20
mrhick01
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfrazieriv View Post
But research and development of what? They spend $2.5 billion per year as it is. $2.5 billion are already paying a bunch of very smart people excellent wages to come up with new ideas.

What should they do next? Find more smart people? Hire some astrophysicists? More scientists? More graphic designers? More poets, what? What is the next frontier of incredible stuff that we do not know that we need yet?

To me, it comes back to this. When we have back-and-forths about "innovation" like this, stuff like screen size is barely a blip on the radar. When I hear stuff about the interface being "boring" or "tiring," I am mystified -- I honestly wonder how one expects a smartphone operating system to entertain them?
mrhick01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:40 PM   #21
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

What is up with the preferred stock and why is this good or bad?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:42 PM   #22
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonte View Post
Non-voting
Guaranteed Dividends
Paid before any common stockholders
Owed regardless of company's ability to pay (accumulating)
you people smh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:22 PM   #23
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonte View Post
Basically preferred shares get paid first at a specified dividend, before other shares, but they can't vote.

So for example you may see AAPL A shares, and AAPL B shares, with Apple maybe pays $10/share dividend and trades at $450. Apple B shares is 'guaranteed' to pay say $20/share and trades at a different price.

The result is A shares have volatile growth, and usually lower dividend; and B shares have set dividend and stable stock price.

Institutional investors, such as pensions (and people that want stable income) often like preferred because it adds a base, predictable ROI, and provides them with some potential growth.

Some people want the volatility because they want to cash in on the growth aspect of the company (non-preferred are better suited for this).

> what is it bad?

Because it 'guarantee' to the preferred shareholders is at cost of non-preferred shareholders and even at the cost of future opportunities. So if Apple, one day has flat earnings (for whatever reason) and needs money - they must still honor the preferred shares even if it means cancelling or altering strategic plans.

What Einhorn suggests makes sense, because he and others probably believes that Apple can sustain a consistent higher return, without need to borrow, for the long term. But more importantly his proposal is to vote against the blocking of preferred shares... he wants all options opened and considered (ie, don't rule it out)

On the otherhand, it could just be a ploy to get short term gains (because Einhorn has been incredibly successful by hedging).

Last edited by paul4339; Feb 7, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
paul4339 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:17 PM   #24
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Buy a huge

chunk of Microsoft.
pgwalsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:18 PM   #25
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Spend a million on tending to Mac OS software (fixing OS X bugs, updating iLife and iWork)!
swingerofbirch is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion