Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Chinese Source Claims iPhone 5S and 5-Inch iPhone 6 to Launch in 2013

3.5" iPhone, 3.5" iPhone 4, 4" iPhone 5, and (mockup) 5" iPhone by iMore
Brightwire translates a report from the Chinese media which claims that Apple will be launching both an iPhone 5S and a 5" iPhone 6 this year:
Quote:
- A source told Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com that he has seen the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 at Apple's suppliers. Both models may be released in 2013, according to the website's microblog on Thursday evening.
- The source noted that the iPhone 5S resembles the iPhone 5, and the five-inch iPhone 6 is lighter and thinner.
This rumor adds to a chorus of reports that Apple is seriously considering a larger form-factor iPhone in the near future. While early reports had suggested that such a model wouldn't see the light of day in 2013, later reports continue to point to a 4.8"-5.0" device coming soon from Apple.

All these rumors have generated a significant amount of speculation on how such a larger model might make sense in Apple's iPhone lineup, especially when comparing it to Samsung's current offerings.

Due to Apple's use of Chinese manufacturers and the need to prototype their designs, it's possible that all of these sightings could be true, yet Apple may still not launch such a device in 2013. If Apple does begin ramping up production for 2013, we expect we'll see parts of this larger device to also begin to leak out of China.

Article Link: Chinese Source Claims iPhone 5S and 5-Inch iPhone 6 to Launch in 2013
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

holy ****!
Asclepio is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
kot
macrumors regular

Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.
kot is offline   53 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kot View Post
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.
And a cold welcome to the trolls. Copying Samsung? Where to begin highlighting the inaccuracies with this rant.

Last edited by BlueParadox; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
BlueParadox is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5
kot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueParadox View Post
And a cold welcome to the trolls.
I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.
kot is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.
Firstly, it's a rumour. And secondly, if this gossip piece is in fact the real deal, then so what?! Making a slightly bigger iPhone is not copying Samdung. And if you're upset about Apple's direction and ultimate demise, recommend you sell your hardware quickly while it's still worth something! No point hanging onto technology which won't be supported in the short term!!

Last edited by BlueParadox; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
BlueParadox is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Just saying, there have been trolls in the past who have claimed that they use Macs and have sent screenshots. I'm not calling you a troll, but you don't have any proof.

Also, Apple does follow the market whenever they update the Macs with newer processors
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8
e-coli
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Man you people are dramatic. Apple can't keep up with demand for their products yet they're "doomed."

By that math, I'd love to be doomed.
e-coli is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:07 AM   #9
dreadnort
macrumors member

Quote:
However you still havent explained why you beleive that they are following samsung?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If anything, you're the victim of a 'pro-apple troll'. Those guys hang around this site ready to pounce on anybody who dares criticize Apple.

That said, I'm not totally on board with the idea that Apple is 'withering and dying', but no question they're on the downslope at the moment.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:14 PM   #11
CodeJingle
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm not a troll.
Denial is the first step to recovery.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonkapple View Post
I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point...
iOS is also targeted at people with learning disabilities and more recently youths (I mean really young). You'd be excluding those demographics by drastically changing the iOS just for the sake of change. Youngins and the challenged have a tough time dealing with change, and if things get too complicated they may not be able to grasp it at all.

An OS SHOULD be boring and so dumbed down easy to use that it is almost painful. At least by default. You could always add a 'Needlessly different' option in Settings. No one ever expects their desktop OS to change drastically unless it is for the better, not change just for change's sake. The same should apply to your mobile devices. If you are dying for a change then jailbreak your phone, you can reskin it and otherwise muck about with the UI on a jailbroken iPhone.

I decidedly don't want any change to the OS other than slow and steady, and only change with a purpose.
CodeJingle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:07 PM   #12
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.
Wow, what a massively disproportionate overreaction.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyriley View Post
30 years from now kids will see the iPhone 5 and say "you have to use your hands?"
+1 to you for the Back to the Future II reference...

Quote:
"That's like a baby's toy!".
and +1 for you for getting it.

SlCKB0Y is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:30 AM   #13
j1787
macrumors member

Shut up!

Quote:
And a cold welcome to the trolls. Copying Samsung? Where to begin highlighting the inaccuracies with this rant.

How is he trolling and how is he inaccurate?

Samsung and other Android devices have changed the market and that's a fact. Apple must make changes for a number of reasons to keep market share.

I would welcome a 5inch iPhone. I also love the iPad Mini. It may not be for everyone, but it gives you a choice.

When you walk into an apple store do you really want your only choice to be this years model or last years model? Oh and do you want in black or white? Get real, this benefits everyone who loves Apple products.

The days of 1 year cycles and one model choice are over. The iPad 3/4 and mini is prime example. That's technology and that's the market today.
j1787 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:54 AM   #14
jacobj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm a long term fan of apple products but I think the original criticism holds true: Apple haven't put anything into an iPhone that was a trend setter in an age. The OS is limited and often it just doesn't work: especially AirPlay. The iPhone 5 is just a 4 with a faster processor and a bigger screen. I am not asking them to change the looks just for the sake of it, but I am looking for something new that we all need but don't know about. That was the magic of apple. Now we just see them add what others already have. They do it with style, but that's all. 7" iPad. It's the same. Where is the thing we need. Their reputation is built on their ability to innovate time and time again and that is why they are fading. We need proof that the reputation was for apple and not just Steve jobs' ability to see the next thing when it came across his path. We all wanted to believe that Steve left a culture that could mimic his extraordinary talent, but we haven't seen any proof of it yet.

Perhaps apple dropping back into the fray will at least silence those that doubted the brilliance of the man.
jacobj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:46 AM   #15
adamtore
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobj View Post
I'm a long term fan of apple products but I think the original criticism holds true: Apple haven't put anything into an iPhone that was a trend setter in an age. The OS is limited and often it just doesn't work: especially AirPlay. The iPhone 5 is just a 4 with a faster processor and a bigger screen. I am not asking them to change the looks just for the sake of it, but I am looking for something new that we all need but don't know about. That was the magic of apple. Now we just see them add what others already have. They do it with style, but that's all. 7" iPad. It's the same. Where is the thing we need. Their reputation is built on their ability to innovate time and time again and that is why they are fading. We need proof that the reputation was for apple and not just Steve jobs' ability to see the next thing when it came across his path. We all wanted to believe that Steve left a culture that could mimic his extraordinary talent, but we haven't seen any proof of it yet.

Perhaps apple dropping back into the fray will at least silence those that doubted the brilliance of the man.
Putting it down like that all the new phones are just "faster or/and bigger". Very few bring something completely new to the game.

With that said, I dont think Apple users care for new tech/spec., they just want the newest phone. You can come to same conclusion by looking how meny jb:ed their i5, its like 2 million out of how many sold... (6.2 milion activated only in Q4) They just dont care about alternatives, heck, I bet 50% even think Apple invented the smartphone.
adamtore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:08 PM   #16
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobj View Post

heh heh, what do you call thinner and lighter Iphone 5? It may not be a feature that you think is important but it is certainly took a lot of engineering effort and picking the right component to make it happen. Apple paid dearly both in term of cost and scheduling for the in cell touch technology used in Iphone 5 to make it happen. What about passport? Again it may or may not be something you are interested in, but it is not accurate to say that Apple is not moving the technology forward.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:42 AM   #17
zign
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to zign
Quote:
Probably meant in terms of the screen size...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000

Quote:

If Apple makes a larger phone... they're doomed.

What has everyone else been doing lately?
Michael Scrip is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Quote:
And what great knowledge has be granted to you that allows you to know that this market trend is Apple's aim? What if they have something to offer they we don't know about that designates the use of a 5 inch phone?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:00 PM   #20
damir00
macrumors 6502a

Still looks like a plain old iPhone.

Whaddup, iOS?
damir00 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:01 PM   #21
kot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan5806 View Post
And what great knowledge has be granted to you that allows you to know that this market trend is Apple's aim? What if they have something to offer they we don't know about that designates the use of a 5 inch phone?
5 inch phones are Samsung's domain. Entering it means following in Samsung's footsteps. Especially if the iphone 5is just the same phone but with a larger screen, that will be gross.
kot is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:15 PM   #22
willywonkapple
macrumors newbie

I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..
willywonkapple is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:17 PM   #23
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
5 inch phones are Samsung's domain. Entering it means following in Samsung's footsteps. Especially if the iphone 5is just the same phone but with a larger screen, that will be gross.
Maybe. It could be Apple following or Apple deciding on its own to make a 5" iPhone. You can't really tell unless it's something a company does a lot. Google and Amazon clearly emulated Apple's moves in iTunes and the iPhone in many ways, for example. Microsoft followed Google when making Bing. You can say that Google didn't invent the web search and that MS is therefore not copying them, but they're still following.
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:52 PM   #24
BiigBiscuit
macrumors member

Quote:
But the smartphone market is Apple's domain right? So in that case, since Apple shouldn't enter Samsung's 5" phone domain, Samsung shouldn't enter Apple's smartphone domain?
BiigBiscuit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:31 AM   #25
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Quote:
And is there a reason that 5" phones can't become Apple's "domain"?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion