Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Has anyone else noticed the ESPN Scorecenter app for iPhone is no longer available on the US store?

Mine quit working so I uninstalled it figuring I simply would re-download and install but when I went to find it - nothing.

The iPad app still exists as well as the Android version.

Anyone have any info? Despite the poor ratings, I actually really like this app and use it daily.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Maybe they pulled it to make improvements on the app? I had it for a few weeks when they did a complete redesign. I liked the Sportacular app better since the push notifications are more reliable than ESPN.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Not positive on this, but they might have replaced it with the "SC Feed" app. Basically, it's the SportsCenter Feed app. You can sign in with your ESPN login or thru Facebook.

Just looked through it and it doesn't really have any score updates. More of a "news item" app.

That said, the newly updated Yahoo Sportaclular app is really nice. The old one was OK but they just updated it in the past couple of weeks and now it's pretty sweet.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Maybe they pulled it to make improvements on the app? I had it for a few weeks when they did a complete redesign. I liked the Sportacular app better since the push notifications are more reliable than ESPN.

I didn't realize they would pull it completely and kill the original app's ability to work.

I have sportacular too - not a fan of push notifications anyhow and Scorecenter is laid out better IMO. But Sportacular will be what I use until Scorecenter is back I suppose.

----------

Not positive on this, but they might have replaced it with the "SC Feed" app. Basically, it's the SportsCenter Feed app. You can sign in with your ESPN login or thru Facebook.

Interesting - though I'm curious why they would only do this for the iPhone app - the iPad and Android apps are still functioning and available.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

That would make sense. Although I view the SC Feed app more as a sports news app rather than a score app.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Maybe they accidentally removed it? Can't imagine a major app since iOS 3 would just randomly be pulled. Too much popularity. Plus they just updated it. It'll most likely be back up soon.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is what most likely happened. ESPN did it before with ScoreCenter too--they released a new update which was just crashing for everyone, so they removed the app completely (so that people wouldn't update to the new version anymore, and new people wouldn't get it) and then a few days later (possibly even a week later) they brought the app back with another update that fixed the crashing issues.

Given the latest update introduced similar crashing issues upon launch (even though a lot of people were able to fix them by deleting the app and then installing it again, when it was available), it seems like they are taking the same kind of approach they took the last time it happened (some versions ago).

What sucks as well is that neither ESPN nor the App Store reviewers caught this rather obvious and pretty bad bug to begin with. It would be rather hard not to come across it, so it's just amazing that they either didn't or went ahead and released/approved it anyway knowing about the issue.

----------

Here's even some official ESPN information about it: http://twitter.com/ESPNKevinO/status/299941797227012097

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I too deleted it because it was bugged and then could not reinstall because it was missing. I'm not sure why they didn't just roll back and re-release an older version. Will Apple not let them do that?

Also, when I was trying to figure out what happened before I came across this thread, I found this: http://www.crn.com/news/security/240146601/espn-app-flagged-for-security-hole.htm

I wonder if that's related as well, or just coincidental.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like and updated ESPN ScoreCenter version 3.1.1 has been released a short while ago.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I gave up on ESPN's Scorecenter. The new format is a step back and so many articles are subscription based. Sportacular is very good and the alerts work well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I gave up on ESPN's Scorecenter. The new format is a step back and so many articles are subscription based. Sportacular is very good and the alerts work well.
There's definitely that and The Score Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.