Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

Apple Care for Mac & Time Capsule

I'm considering buying a Mac Mini and recall that if you buy a Time Capsule too, you can cover both with the same Apple Care.

How does this work? Do both have to be bought in the same transaction? Do both have to be bought from Apple? Do you still have 12 months to buy the Apple Care?

I already have a late 2010 MBA and so would want to back both machines up. Is Time Capsule even the right solution or should I go for a USB/Thunderbolt drive attached to the Mac Mini (or indeed both that and the TC).

I have a ReadyNAS Duo with a single HDD but find this noisy and rather annoying. I'd rather invest in a better backup solution than buy another HDD for the empty bay.

My only doubt is whether to wait for the next Gen hardware in the hope that this has the new wifi standard (unlikely as that may be).

All advice welcome. Am open to different solutions, though not one involving a NAS.
Moccasin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
daerve
macrumors newbie

I'd like to know this too because I bought a TC around 7 months after my MBP and also have applecare for the MBP.
daerve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
I'm considering buying a Mac Mini and recall that if you buy a Time Capsule too, you can cover both with the same Apple Care.

How does this work? Do both have to be bought in the same transaction? Do both have to be bought from Apple? Do you still have 12 months to buy the Apple Care?

I already have a late 2010 MBA and so would want to back both machines up. Is Time Capsule even the right solution or should I go for a USB/Thunderbolt drive attached to the Mac Mini (or indeed both that and the TC).

I have a ReadyNAS Duo with a single HDD but find this noisy and rather annoying. I'd rather invest in a better backup solution than buy another HDD for the empty bay.

My only doubt is whether to wait for the next Gen hardware in the hope that this has the new wifi standard (unlikely as that may be).

All advice welcome. Am open to different solutions, though not one involving a NAS.

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world.

What’s covered — Mac

Your Mac computer
Included accessories such as the power adapter
Apple memory (RAM)
AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station, or Time Capsule 2
Apple USB SuperDrive (for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro with Retina display, iMac, and Mac mini)
Apple display purchased with your Mac

2 - The AirPort device or Time Capsule must be purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

This is from Apple - http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html
Spink10 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:08 PM   #4
daerve
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
The AppleCare Protection Plan provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world.

What’s covered — Mac

Your Mac computer
Apple memory (RAM)
Apple USB SuperDrive (for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro with Retina display, iMac, and Mac mini)

2 - The AirPort device or Time Capsule must be purchased up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

Thanks.
daerve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:12 AM   #5
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post

What’s covered — Mac

Your Mac computer
Apple memory (RAM)

Thanks - apologies that I realised I was being lazy with that first question.

Now I have to work out a new storage solution. My 128GB MBA is pretty much full and I'm keen to replace my NAS. I had problems accessing it a few weeks ago and lost some data getting it sorted out. Luckily I had backups on disc.

Given that I'm also considering a new Mac, I want to start the most cost-effective and future proof solution for data storage. I fear this may not include my late 2010 MBA for very long due to its lack of a thunderbolt or USB 3.
Moccasin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice