Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games' Infinity Blade: Dungeons was first announced in March of 2012, as a demo game on the third generation iPad. The game was designed by Epic but handed over to Impossible Studios, a new division housing ex-employees of Big Huge Games.

dungeons-800x600.jpg
Hints of trouble first appeared in October of last year, when the game was delayed until 2013. As of today, Infinity Blade: Dungeons has been put on hold indefinitely, as Epic Games has decided to shut down Impossible Studios. Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney announced the news this afternoon:
We're closing Impossible Studios.

When former members of Big Huge Games approached Epic last year, we saw the opportunity to help a great group of people while putting them to work on a project that needed a team. It was a bold initiative and the Impossible folks made a gallant effort, but ultimately it wasn't working out for Epic.

This means that Infinity Blade: Dungeons is now on hold as we figure out the future of the project.
Epic Games is planning to give each Impossible Studios employee three months of severance pay and is offering the option to form a new company with the Impossible Studios name.

Article Link: Epic Announces Closure of Impossible Studios, 'Infinity Blade: Dungeons' Put on Hold

Blomkvist

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
North Carolina
NOOOOOOOOO!!! :(

Was eager for this one and quite surprised when it wasn't a launch game available along with either iPhone 5 or iPad Mini....now I know why.

Hopefully it will show up soon.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I thought these games were doing really well?

I'm sure it won't be the end of the Infinity Blade.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
that sucks, must not have been as much potential for money as they originally thought

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
For a game that was destined to print money, I'm sure we will see it sooner then later from somewhere....

This will not be Duke Nukem Forever.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Infinity Blade 2 is also pretty much dead.

The last content update was on August 1st.

They say these games are very profitable but they don't seem to do much with them.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
How could they fail with all the free promotion they got? They pretty much had endless apple promotions. Constant features as well as tv ads and even apple keynote promos.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You mean to tell me that Infinity Blade: Dungeons which was originally due to be released in April 2012 has been put on hold? You don't say :rolleyes:

Seriously though, even though I had a sneaking suspicion that it was either cancelled or in limbo after a series of missed deadlines, I'm still kind-of bummed out by it. Diablo is one one my all time favorite games, so I was looking forward towards this type of game on the iPad. The first two were just ok, as I wasn't a fan of the whole on-rails aspect of those.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Wow the CEO or someone must be greedy. They charged a good penny when it comes to iOS games yet sold many many copies. Someone wasn't managing the money.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I spent so many hours on IB and IB2 :(

I was waiting so badly for this one.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wow the CEO or someone must be greedy. They charged a good penny when it comes to iOS games yet sold many many copies. Someone wasn't managing the money.

This. It beats me why they would put on hold what was in their own words "our most profitable franchise ever".

'Infinity Blade' is Epic Games' most profitable game ever, says CEO
Epic Games: Infinity Blade on iOS more profitable by the pound than any other game we've made
Epic's 'Infinity Blade' for iOS more profitable than 'Gears of War'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.