Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yappco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
App is now available http://www.thevaultapp.com or direct iTunes link

----

Hi

I'm going to release my first application to the AppStore soon. I have experience, because I was writing apps for other companies but this one is more personal, so I decided to ask.

Vault is for storing Photos and Videos encrypted on your iPhone, of course locked with passcode. In case you will ever lost or get your phone stolen, nobody can ever see them.

There are some of apps like this in appstore, but they don't encrypt the data or don't support videos (and now after couple of weak of development I know why they didn't ;) ).

Anyhow, I personally wrote that app to keep the photos of my girlfriend safe, but because I'm thinking about the ways to promote the app I would like to ask you.

- Will you be willing to use application like that?
- What would be the reasons you would use it?

By the way.
Application will be released in banner driver freemium model, you have fully functional app for Free, and with minimal payment ($0.99) you will get rid of the banners.

If anyone would like to know more about the app here are the screenshots:
- http://cl.ly/0c1i3C2j0L19
and here is a webpage:
- http://www.thevaultapp.com

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Looks really nice! I don't think I would use it, just because I don't have a use for it, but for others that do, it looks like the best app out there. I really like the animations, and the fact that everything is actually encrypted is great. Awesome work man! :D

yappco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Hi

I'm going to release my first application to the AppStore soon. I have experience, because I was writing apps for other companies but this one is more personal, so I decided to ask.

Vault is for storing Photos and Videos encrypted on your iPhone, of course locked with passcode. In case you will ever lost or get your phone stolen, nobody can ever see them.

There are some of apps like this in appstore, but they don't encrypt the data or don't support videos (and now after couple of weak of development I know why they didn't ;) ).

Anyhow, I personally wrote that app to keep the photos of my girlfriend safe, but because I'm thinking about the ways to promote the app I would like to ask you.

- Will you be willing to use application like that?
- What would be the reasons you would use it?

By the way.
Application will be released in banner driver freemium model, you have fully functional app for Free, and with minimal payment ($0.99) you will get rid of the banners.

If anyone would like to know more about the app here are the screenshots:
- http://cl.ly/0c1i3C2j0L19
and here is a webpage:
- http://www.thevaultapp.com

Thanks for your feedback!

How did you manage to get your encryption approved for use in the US?

yappco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
How did you manage to get your encryption approved for use in the US?
\

Because I'm not a US citizen after contacting United States Department of Commerce I recived information that I don't need CCATS.
I'm not an US exporter. Some time ago Apple was expecting CCATS from all developers, but there was a change in law some time ago (I don't remember exact time, sorry) and now Apple doesn't require it for foreign developers.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
\

Because I'm not a US citizen after contacting United States Department of Commerce I recived information that I don't need CCATS.
I'm not an US exporter. Some time ago Apple was expecting CCATS from all developers, but there was a change in law some time ago (I don't remember exact time, sorry) and now Apple doesn't require it for foreign developers.

That's fantastic! Didn't even know thank you.

Also very well done on the app. It looks awesome.

yappco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
That's fantastic! Didn't even know thank you.

Also very well done on the app. It looks awesome.

There is a little catch. When you will try submit your app, you will get a list of allowed uses of encryption, which doesn't require that, if your app does something that doesn't fit the list, you will be asked to get it anymore.

yappco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Which algorithm does it use to encrypt the files? All I see is a ProgressIndicator that's way to fast to actually encrypt something.

Because of a need of random file access, it uses blowfish algorithm. And you are wrong, good implementation of blowfish is extremely fast.

yappco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
This is true, but Twofish doesn't have any usable documentation or implementation so far. Blowfish is a part of Open SSL.

But what do you want to accomplish? In one post you are sugesting that there is no encryption, on another one you are sugesting that I'm using bad algorithm. I really encourage you to brake Vault blowfish based encryption if you think it's not good enough.

yappco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
The Giuly user suggested that blowfish is not good enough and posted an information comming from blowfish author, that it should be replaced with Twofish. He had right, but Twofish is really hard to implement, and as you can see on wikipedia, there is only one possible attack on blowfish and it requires "weak" key to be used, I assure that Vault does not use weak key. After my comment the original post of Giuly was deleted.

Giuly said:
---Quote (Originally by Bruce Schneier, Creator of Bluefish)---
At this point, though, I'm amazed it's still being used. If people ask, I recommend Twofish instead.
---End Quote---
Hmm.

I think that he is a developer or somehow related to developer of concurrent app who was trying to dimnish my application (which really had a huge encryption adventage compared to all of other apps like this).

I've noticed that post deletion and wanted to add a explanation, because without it, my answer sounds really bad, like I was yelling at the user.

This is true, but Twofish doesn't have any usable documentation or implementation so far. Blowfish is a part of Open SSL.

But what do you want to accomplish? In one post you are sugesting that there is no encryption, on another one you are sugesting that I'm using bad algorithm. I really encourage you to brake Vault blowfish based encryption if you think it's not good enough.

Last edited:

sherrie.melton5

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Phone Application Companies

Yes. I would like to use the application to protect my privacy . This way I will be able to protect my personal photographs and videos from others even if my mobile phone is lost or stolen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.