Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Are they basically the same specs with a different screen? What are their exact differences?

Also, are there any apps that will not run on a 2? I know there are quite a few that you need at least a 2 (no 1st gen), but are there any that you need at least a 3 for?

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
iPad mini has:

- updated/faster lightning connector
- much better front and rear cameras
- SIRI
- longer battery life
- screen has higher ppi (but same resolution)
- stereo speakers
- A5 chip is thinner for more efficiency
- updated design and much lighter
- faster updated WiFi
- runs every app in app store
- $70 less expensive (about 20% less)

Last edited:

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I think the iPad mini is one of the best Apple products over the past 10 years. Superb size and weight. When the retina display comes, it could very well be the greatest selling tablet of all time.

I got the LTE 32 gig and think it's incredible. Having a wifi only iPad meant i never took it anywhere. It was too big and drained my phones battery when tethered. Plus, LTE is awesome.

Just need a really good stylus as Evernote and penultimate are exactly what this device is for. (that and the kindle app).

I had been concerned about the resolution of the mini but find reading really not that difficult at all on it. When you increase the font size a bit, there are no issues with it.

Get one.

S

syd430

You say this as if it's inherently a positive. It has a higher PPI because it has a smaller screen. Text is no sharper than on the ipad 2 because the rendering algorithims are essentially the same. Some would rather more physical real estate over an increased PPI @ the same number of effective pixels.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
You say this as if it's inherently a positive. It has a higher PPI because it has a smaller screen. Text is no sharper than on the ipad 2 because the rendering algorithims are essentially the same. Some would rather more physical real estate over an increased PPI @ the same number of effective pixels.

increased ppi increases resolution...yes, to me that falls in the positive category...

do you own an iPad mini?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

The text IS sharper because the same amount of information is being displayed in a smaller space. Conversely, more information is being displayed in the same amount of physical space. This is what makes the retina displays sharper, and it's what makes the mini's display sharper. Whether or not it's a good thing is subjective, but to claim the text isn't sharper is just plain false.

OP, neither is more powerful than the other. The benefits of the mini have been explained well here, but in terms of power they're identical. My advice: unless screen size is important to you (remember that the actual resolution, the number of pixels, is no different), get the mini. It has plenty of benefits over the iPad 2 that aren't related to power.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I had been concerned about the resolution of the mini but find reading really not that difficult at all on it. When you increase the font size a bit, there are no issues with it.

Get one.

Uh... sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking if and why people prefer the mini. I know all about it and actually own one myself. I just need to know the significant differences between the two (besides the obvious debate it has started with PPI and larger size................).

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iPad mini has:

- SIRI
- longer battery life
- stereo speakers
- faster updated WiFi

and it came out 1 1/2 years later...

S

syd430

increased ppi increases resolution.

No.

The text IS sharper because the same amount of information is being displayed in a smaller space.

No.

Graphics and UI elements yes. Text no. Because 1) PPI has increased but resolution remains the same. 2) The smaller screen means that the normal viewing distance has changed 3) Same OS with the same rendering engine (the only way to make it sharper ath the same resolution would be to render fonts larger, which would allow more anti-aliasing). When you combine all 3 of these it negates any benefit to text from a higher PPI.

This is probably the 100th I've explained this on this forum, yet the same misinformed crap is stated here as facts. I don't think I'm going to bother anymore. There will always be a certian % of people on any forum that spread misinformation and are not willing to be corrected no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Yeah I see what he's saying. Looking at my ipad 1 and mini, text looks basically the same. Everything's just smaller.

S

syd430

Conversely, more information is being displayed in the same amount of physical space. This is what makes the retina displays sharper, and it's what makes the mini's display sharper.

Didnt reply to everything you said in my post above, but I'll reply to this too. The retina display is sharper due to pixel doubling. This has nothing to do with the mini's display. As explained in my post above, graphics and UI elements are sharper because of the increased PPI, but text is most certainly not because the same rendering algorithm is applied to the same number of physical pixels.( I.e no additional pixels to smooth out the font).

Whether or not it's a good thing is subjective, but to claim the text isn't sharper is just plain false.

Actually, almost every sentence in your post was objectively wrong.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
The screen is a lot nicer. Despite being the same resolution, the smaller size makes it difficult to notice its not retina. Also they removed a layer from the glass, so it looks more lifelike. My partner upgraded from the iPad 1 and can't get over how much better the screen is. I have an iPad 3 and I can tell the difference, but it's not much.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Graphics and UI elements yes. Text no.

If the UI elements get sharper because of the increased PPI, then so does the text.

Because 1) PPI has increased but resolution remains the same.

If that doesn't increase the sharpness of the text, then it doesn't increase the sharpness of the UI elements either.

2) The smaller screen means that the normal viewing distance has changed

Source? My supervisor doesn't know much about his brand-new iPad mini, so I end up doing a lot of stuff with it to set up stuff. I hold it at the same distance I hold my iPad 4. In the same way the typical (not ideal) viewing distance between a 32" TV and a 42" TV is often largely the same. I realize there's a technical specification for viewing distance based on screen size and resolution, but I'm talking about typical usage, not tech specs.

3) Same OS with the same rendering engine (the only way to make it sharper ath the same resolution would be to render fonts larger, which would allow more anti-aliasing). When you combine all 3 of these it negates any benefit to text from a higher PPI.

See, this is where I think we're butting heads. I realize that the text is being rendered the same way, and so is not actually sharper in that sense, but it looks sharper. The perceived sharpness is increased. I'm not talking about sharpness as a technical term, as it relates to font rendering, I'm talking about how it looks. I've used an iPad 2 quite a bit, and the text on the iPad mini's screen LOOKS sharper because it's smaller.

Amusingly, only half my post was about text sharpness, yet you said almost every sentence was objectively incorrect. Do you also disagree with my statements about the mini being better in a lot of ways to the iPad 2 that aren't related to power?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
iPad mini has:

- SIRI
- longer battery life
- stereo speakers
- faster updated WiFi

umm the latest model of the iPad 2 has dual band wifi support and same long battery life because of the updated A5 ("thinner" as you call it). Granted the device is bought new instead of a refurb.

Lightning connector is nothing more than a buzz word, it runs NO FASTER than the original 30 pin adapter.

Not sure about the speakers and you're right about the cameras.

That being said, both the iPad 2 and iPad Mini are just as "powerful" as one another because they are running the same chip. However, the iPad Mini is a better deal because of the updated cameras and price.

Really surprised that the iPad 2 is even for sale anymore, seems kind of silly.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
I think the iPad mini is one of the best Apple products over the past 10 years. Superb size and weight. When the retina display comes, it could very well be the greatest selling tablet of all time.

[...]

I completely agree with you! And for me (and many other who writes a lot) it seems that the soon to come Logitech Ultrathin BT Keyboard for the iPad Mini will be a kind of crown on this great Apple product, and IMO contribute to make it the greatest selling tablet of all time, and also the most practical and portable useful one! I can't wait for that keyboard - that will, for me, make the completion of a perfect combo! And, of course: I really hope that we don't have to wait too long for the retina display, and I further must stress that such a display (with all that it needs of resources), must NOT change the iPad Mini footprint or weight.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
iPad mini has:

- SIRI
- longer battery life
- stereo speakers
- faster updated WiFi

Bluetooth 4.0 vs 2.1 I. The iPad 2

Ignore the a5 reference tho. If you brought new today from apple the a5 chips would be identical. It was the original iPad 2 that had the older a5 chip

----------

umm the latest model of the iPad 2 has dual band wifi support and same long battery life because of the updated A5 ("thinner" as you call it). Granted the device is bought new instead of a refurb.

Lightning connector is nothing more than a buzz word, it runs NO FASTER than the original 30 pin adapter.

Not sure about the speakers and you're right about the cameras.

That being said, both the iPad 2 and iPad Mini are just as "powerful" as one another because they are running the same chip. However, the iPad Mini is a better deal because of the updated cameras and price.

Really surprised that the iPad 2 is even for sale anymore, seems kind of silly.

Hardly. There is a huge market for the iPad 2 in the private sector.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

This is kind of true. The devices that use Lightning do sync faster than their 30-pin brethren, but that's quite possibly due to the fact that those devices are faster themselves. Also, from what I understand, Lightning has the ability to sync at USB 3 speeds, but Apple hasn't unlocked that aspect. I don't really have good sources for that, though, it's just what I've heard.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You're free to believe whatever you want.

What a factual argument! I'm willing to be convinced, but my understanding of how screens work and my own experience with the mini show me that the text is sharper on the mini. If you can illustrate reasons to me beyond "the rendering algorithm is the same", I might be convinced.

S

syd430

What a factual argument! I'm willing to be convinced, but my understanding of how screens work and my own experience with the mini show me that the text is sharper on the mini. If you can illustrate reasons to me beyond "the rendering algorithm is the same", I might be convinced.

I already stated my reasoning in the previous two posts I wrote in this thread. I was just pointing out that I don't want to go back and forth with you anymore. You can believe whatever you want. I really don't care what you think is fact or not.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
About iPad mini text.

Most people increase font size in iPad mini, to match the "real world" size of text on an iPad. When the text size is matched, iPad mini's sharpness increase is noticeable, tho less text is displayed.

So yeah, iPad vs iPad mini size-matched text sharpness is better on the mini, if hold at the same viewing distance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.