Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604

World of Tanks

Anyone? I'm going to install it to make my Son happy and play a few rounds with him. It is a multiplayer game, not an MMO. I wonder if there are any Planetside 2 players who care to make a comparison? My Son seems to prefer World of Tanks over PS2. I'm thinking compared to PS2, it's kind of single minded, instead of the variety of threats you get in PS2 you face wallet warriors who may have paid to upgrade their equipment substantially. We'll see.

Thumb resize.

Last edited by Huntn; Jun 13, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Anyone? I'm going to install it to make my Son happy and play a few rounds with him. It is a multiplayer game, not an MMO. I wonder if there are any Planetside 2 players who care to make a comparison? My Son seems to prefer World of Tanks over PS2. I'm thinking compared to PS2, it's kind of single minded, instead of the variety of threats you get in PS2 you face wallet warriors who may have paid to upgrade their equipment substantially. We'll see.

Thumb resize.
I've heard very good things about this game and watched some video of tank battles. It does look like it would be fun. However, as you noted I would expect to have to pay money for a fully enjoyable experience. I've yet to see a f2p game I'd play for free because they always cut enough to get you to pay. I guess I cannot blame them. How can they stay in business if nobody pays to play? Anyway, it's nice you can give it a good test drive and get a good feel for if it is something you'd enjoy and so not mind paying for.

Does this have a native Mac version? It's been a while since I looked at it and I can't remember.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
I've heard very good things about this game and watched some video of tank battles. It does look like it would be fun. However, as you noted I would expect to have to pay money for a fully enjoyable experience. I've yet to see a f2p game I'd play for free because they always cut enough to get you to pay. I guess I cannot blame them. How can they stay in business if nobody pays to play? Anyway, it's nice you can give it a good test drive and get a good feel for if it is something you'd enjoy and so not mind paying for.

Does this have a native Mac version? It's been a while since I looked at it and I can't remember.
No Mac version.

Played this game last night for the first time. Considering the focus it's a great game.

WOT is about tanks, period. No other units in the game. Different game modes can be played ranging from 15v15 to (I believe) 30 v30. I played Random Battles where I started with a Tier 1 tank, 15v15 for a 15 minute round. The server organizes the matches grouping similarly tiered vehicles, so for a Tier 1 tank, my group consisted of tier 1-3 tanks.

WOT Combat Mechanics- Technically I have a driver and a gunner. There is a large floating reticule in the view screen that gets larger or smaller depending on what I'm doing and represents the gunner's scope (if that is the right word). If I visually zoom in on a enemy, I will see a red outlined shape representing the enemy tank if there is a clear shot . The reticule is controlled by my gunner, and independent of my controls (other than where I'm looking) it will slide over the target as the gunner sets up the shot and reduce in size as the range is locked in. At its smallest size, on the enemy, if I pull the trigger (order the shot), most likely I'll score a hit.

WOT in game currency- everything can be earned or purchased, except for specialty tanks, which I believe can only be purchased. I don't know much about that. Personally I think being able to buy all of your upgrades is bad. It makes for what is called a wallet warrior. The $30 starter pack, which can be purchased online for about $18 (Amazon) includes an elite light scout tank, fully upgraded, along with gold to buy stuff. For free-to-play, I earned, depending on my performance enough xp in the game to feel like I was making significant progress with hardware upgrades, much more so than with Planetside2 (PS2).

I'm starting a separate PS2 vs WOT thread to discuss the differences.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Huntn
macrumors 604

Established a WOT guide.

I'm a new comer to the game. That's why my highest tank is Tier 4 where the top tier in game is Tier 10. It's been out for a couple of years. Why play so many tanks? They all lead to different ends and are fun to play!

My Current Tanks:
T-18 Tank Destroyer (USA Tier 2).

M2 Light Tank (USA Tier 2).

PzKpfw 35(t) Light Tank (Germany Tier 2).

PzKpfw II Light Tank (Germany Tier 2).

T-26 Light Tank (Soviet Tier 2).

M3 Stuart Light Tank (USA Tier 3).

T-82 Tank Destroyer USA Tier 3).

Cruiser Mk iV Light Tank (G.B. Tier 3)

Marder II Tank Destroyer (Germany Tier 3)- featured in last battle of Saving Private Ryan. The one with the molotov thrown into it.

T-46 Light Tank (Soviet Tier 3)

SU-76 Tank Destroyer (Soviet Tier 3)

Valentine II Light Tank (Soviet Tier 4, Premium- paid $1.75 on sale!)

Last edited by Huntn; Feb 19, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:36 AM   #5
ArthurWellsley
macrumors newbie

I very much enjoy playing WoT. Like all games of this nature the leveling game is very different from the endgame.

Endgame mechanics revolve around top tier tanks in groups using voice communication. The most successful teams have light tanks to scout, medium tanks for speed manoeurves, and heavy tanks to punch out the main fight. In addition they have artillery, which when played well is highly important. Very occasionally endgame teams may use a tank destroyer, but not often. In addition team composition tends to depend on the map to be fought over. During endgame play teams chose a map to contest.

During leveling play team composition is more random, and the server randomly chooses a map.

This is a very fun pvp game. You will need to run boot camp, and have a Windows partition on your mac to play it.
ArthurWellsley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:55 PM   #6
palenran
macrumors newbie

You don't have to be a wallet warrior to enjoy WOT

I've been playing WOT for about 18 months. It's quite a bit of fun...I have been in over 3,000 battles.

You don't have to be a wallet warrior to enjoy the game, but the higher tier (heavier, more powerful) tanks will be effectively out of reach. The tanks are divided in to 10 "tiers" and in random battles, you will typically see a spread of not more than 3 tiers in the battle.

For example, when you start out with Tier 1, a small, fast, lightly armored vehicle, you will typically play with other Tier 1 and Tier 2 vehicles, with some Tier 3 mixed in. You can easily play the first five tiers without spending any money.

What the money does is allow you to accumulate in-game cash and experience faster, which allows you to advance to higher tier tanks faster. The bonus is signifiicant; 50%. Thus, it will take you a lot longer to get to the higher tier tanks unless you use real money. That said, there is nothing different about the mechanics of the game at higher levels. The tanks are bigger, heavier and more powerful, but the opponents in the matches are also bigger, heavier and more powerful too, so they balance each other out. It may take 6 shots for a Tier 3 to kill another Tier 3 and it may take 6 shots for a Tier 9 to kill another Tier 9. You can play quite happily in the low-mid tiers (I do most of my playing in Tiers 2-7) and not spend a penny.

Money also allows you to purchase some "premium" tanks, available at many tiers, that are slightly better than the regular tanks, but not enough to tip the balance. Of the 30 or so tanks I've played, only once did I buy a premium and it's not my favorite.

The other thing you can do with in-game money is buy better ammunition or better fuel or repair kits and the like. Again, these all give 5% or 10% improvements to your vehicle, and in the end, don't really tip the balance. If you are a good player who plays as a team, thinks strategically, knows when to back down and when to advance, those are way, way more important to your performance and winning percentage than any small advantage you can get with in-game purchases.
palenran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:15 PM   #7
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

I have heard mixed things about WoT.

Big community, nice eye candy, frustrating economics and game play.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
garnerx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post

The gameplay is the best thing about it. I don't think it's particularly amazing to look at, it's just a really nicely paced, simple game of hunt and destroy.

As for the economics, you have to play forever to get a decent tank crew, so that's not so great, and you can only skip a certain amount of it with real money.

For example, I paid to skip the first stage of training with one new crew, but the next part - the perks - has take me almost 400 games to build up to 98%. I think it will be another 40-50 games, just with that one tank, before I max it out and can pick another perk to train. That's a massive commitment of time. I'd gladly pay to skip that part.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:23 AM   #9
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Anyone playing on EU2 will find me as MissBunny always happy to play along if anyone needs a platoon mate

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljonesj View Post
Hutn whats your whats your name in World of Tanks mine is larrywjones so you can fire on me lol i am in the first iteration of the m4 Sherman. the game is addictive
Just curious what is your top tier tank? I'm up to 8's. If you are up at Tier 10, what do you think of battles at that level? Most of the time I play solo on the U.S. East Server but I am in a clan and sometimes do company battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post

If you want the long version read the "Money in a Free Game" section of the Macrumors WoT Guide.

Here is the short version, you can play for free easily up to about Tier 5 although your progress will be slower than if you pay the subscription which is about $9 per month (6 month sub). This gives you a 50% increase in xp and silver accumulation which is used in the game to earn/purchase items. If you want more than 8 tanks, garage slots will have to be purchased but they are cheap, about $2 each. Do not buy premium rounds. They used to require real $, but now they can be purchased with silver which is earned in game. But if you do this, it will severely hinder your silver accumulation for the next tank or equipment you want to buy. Although they can make a difference, I think they are over rated for the price/benefit ratio.

If you don't want to pay for the subscription, about level 6 you'll start to see loses of silver when your performance is bad, such as getting killed in the first minute of a battle. Many people including myself pony up the cost to buy premium tanks which are rigged by the game gods to basically always make silver, and if you do well, a lot of silver. You can use them to make up for your loses if and when they happen in regular tanks. You can buy a Tier 5 tank for about 7 dollars. See Premium Tanks. Keep in mind that with a $30 gold purchase $1= about 215 gold. So the Excelsior (British Tank), would cost about $7. That's reasonable. Tier 8 tanks are much more expensive, up in the $50 range.

As far as frustrating game play, it can be frustrating if you just charge into the fray. You'll get your ass handed too you. The game requires some tactics. The nature of PUGs (pick up groups) can also be frustrating if you end up on an idiot team, but you'll just have to try it to see if it suits you or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnerx View Post
The gameplay is the best thing about it. I don't think it's particularly amazing to look at, it's just a really nicely paced, simple game of hunt and destroy.

As for the economics, you have to play forever to get a decent tank crew, so that's not so great, and you can only skip a certain amount of it with real money.

For example, I paid to skip the first stage of training with one new crew, but the next part - the perks - has take me almost 400 games to build up to 98%. I think it will be another 40-50 games, just with that one tank, before I max it out and can pick another perk to train. That's a massive commitment of time. I'd gladly pay to skip that part.
What level are you at? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
Anyone playing on EU2 will find me as MissBunny always happy to play along if anyone needs a platoon mate
What tier are you up to? If 10, what do you think of it at 10 vs 5-6?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:20 AM   #11
garnerx
macrumors regular

Quote:
I've researched up to level 6 (US arty) although I haven't bought that tank yet as I like the level 5 version. I've also got the level 6 TOG that I purchased for cash.

I quite like the look of the British tank destroyer that comes after the Churchill I, but it's taking forever to get the xp to unlock it. The grind is just ridiculous - I play for 10 minutes, have a good game and get maybe 500 xp, then it tells me I've got another 45,000 to go.

I think I'm unlikely ever to get past level 6 or 7, much as I enjoy the game. It would be better if it was like Call of Duty, where you actually have some hope of unlocking the really juicy stuff without having to play 10,000+ matches.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:16 AM   #12
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Quote:
Just curious what is your top tier tank? I'm up to 8's. If you are up at Tier 10, what do you think of battles at that level? Most of the time I play solo on the U.S. East Server but I am in a clan and sometimes do company battles.

If you want the long version read the "Money in a Free Game" section of the Macrumors WoT Guide.

Here is the short version, you can play for free easily up to about Tier 5 although your progress will be slower than if you pay the subscription which is about $9 per month (6 month sub). This gives you a 50% increase in xp and silver accumulation which is used in the game to earn/purchase items. If you want more than 8 tanks, garage slots will have to be purchased but they are cheap, about $2 each. Do not buy premium rounds. They used to require real $, but now they can be purchased with silver which is earned in game. But if you do this, it will severely hinder your silver accumulation for the next tank or equipment you want to buy. Although they can make a difference, I think they are over rated for the price/benefit ratio.

If you don't want to pay for the subscription, about level 6 you'll start to see loses of silver when your performance is bad, such as getting killed in the first minute of a battle. Many people including myself pony up the cost to buy premium tanks which are rigged by the game gods to basically always make silver, and if you do well, a lot of silver. You can use them to make up for your loses if and when they happen in regular tanks. You can buy a Tier 5 tank for about 7 dollars. See Premium Tanks. Keep in mind that with a $30 gold purchase $1= about 215 gold. So the Excelsior (British Tank), would cost about $7. That's reasonable. Tier 8 tanks are much more expensive, up in the $50 range.

As far as frustrating game play, it can be frustrating if you just charge into the fray. You'll get your ass handed too you. The game requires some tactics. The nature of PUGs (pick up groups) can also be frustrating if you end up on an idiot team, but you'll just have to try it to see if it suits you or not.

I have 10, but I find I play 6-8 mostly.

10 seems less skilful, almost like players have gotten there as quick as poss with little learning of tactics etc.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:17 PM   #13
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

Actually right now i am at tier 5 the m4 sherman
Quote:

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Tags
multiplayer, tank, tanks, world of tanks