Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I got hold of a Nexus 4 - first time I've had a proper go at android.

Immediately impressed with the size and feel of the device. Other pro's include:

a) much much better keyboard. It could be argued that iphone currently has the worst keyboard of any flagship phone. It need a big upgrade.

b) App switcher is great. Got used to it quickly

c) Like the widgets. Some are really useful, especially the twitter and email snapshop ones

d) Love being able to quickly install XBMC (can now do that with a JB iphone)

e) The android yahoo mail app allows multiple accounts. Wonder why the ios version does not?

Overall, I am still keeping my iphone 5. Syncs well with my pad and atv. Apps of a much higher quality and design. Better resale value. Feels safer in terms of security.

Next ios version just needs better widgets,toggles,keyboard.

Next hardware redesign should be widened slightly- even to 4.2 or 4.3" would make the world of difference

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kudos to you for giving Android a good amount of time and trying it yourself. For me, I still have my iPhone 5 and Nexus 4-- I like having the option between two phones and although the Nexus has become my daily driver, there's always a chance I'll miss iOS in the future :)

For $300 the Nexus really is a steal. Battery life could be better but it lasts me a whole day, so I really can't complain.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I got hold of a Nexus 4 - first time I've had a proper go at android.

Immediately impressed with the size and feel of the device. Other pro's include:

a) much much better keyboard. It could be argued that iphone currently has the worst keyboard of any flagship phone. It need a big upgrade.

b) App switcher is great. Got used to it quickly

c) Like the widgets. Some are really useful, especially the twitter and email snapshop ones

d) Love being able to quickly install XBMC (can now do that with a JB iphone)

e) The android yahoo mail app allows multiple accounts. Wonder why the ios version does not?

Overall, I am still keeping my iphone 5. Syncs well with my pad and atv. Apps of a much higher quality and design. Better resale value. Feels safer in terms of security.

Next ios version just needs better widgets,toggles,keyboard.

Next hardware redesign should be widened slightly- even to 4.2 or 4.3" would make the world of difference

The iPhone does have allow you to have multiple emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008

We are of course dealing with personal opinions, but absolutely love the iPhone keyboard and have found it to be the best. It's hard for me to describe why, but I've tried multiple smartphones with physical and on-screen keyboards and none have felt as 'right' as the iPhone's.

Just my opinion.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
wouldn't the biggest reason be the largest deficit of data speed between the ip5 and n4? After my ip5 I can't go back to any non-lte device.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
We are of course dealing with personal opinions, but absolutely love the iPhone keyboard and have found it to be the best. It's hard for me to describe why, but I've tried multiple smartphones with physical and on-screen keyboards and none have felt as 'right' as the iPhone's.

Just my opinion.

I agree, I left my 3Gs and have had 3 different androids the latest being the S3 and out of all of them I think the iPhone has the best keyboard! So happy to be back with the iPhone 5!

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
wouldn't the biggest reason be the largest deficit of data speed between the ip5 and n4? After my ip5 I can't go back to any non-lte device.

While there was a difference, it wasn't enough to make it a dealbreaker. I'd say the Nexus 4 takes another half second-second to load a page which is completely fine, for me at least.

Same goes with streaming content, it takes a second or two longer to buffer but by no means is it slow.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I also have a iphone 5 and a Nexus 4 and love both devices... Really like the app integration on android, apps do look more polish on the iphone... At the end of the day it's a matter of preference... They both have their pros and cons, im just happy i have both #

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Depends on your carrier. On AT&T and Tmobile the hspa+ speeds on the Nexus are pretty fast. It even has DC-Hspa+ on Tmobile. On the CDMA carriers Verizon and Sprint, LTE is a major upgrade in speed over their 3G networks.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I bought the Nexus 4 from Google Play 16gb and I have had tons of experience with Android, but I chose to keep the iPhone 5 and give the Nexus to my husband. The Nexus feels better in the hand and the big screen is nice and it is fast, but I still like IOS over Android. With the Jailbreak and the nice tweaks fixing any complaints I had about the iPhone, I decided to keep it.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Kudos to you for giving Android a good amount of time and trying it yourself. For me, I still have my iPhone 5 and Nexus 4-- I like having the option between two phones and although the Nexus has become my daily driver, there's always a chance I'll miss iOS in the future :)

For $300 the Nexus really is a steal. Battery life could be better but it lasts me a whole day, so I really can't complain.

How do you switch with the IP5 having a nano sim???

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I just pulled the trigger on a 16 GB Nexus 4. Bought it from Google and will activate it on a T-Mobile prepaid plan. Switching from the original EVO on Sprint.

What did me in? Two things. First, the unacceptably slow pace of Sprint's 3G upgrades and 4G buildout. Second, the crapware that Sprint loaded on the EVO and continues to with other phones. It also didn't hurt that I'll save $27/month.

I looked at the iPhone 5, but I wanted a bigger display. Great phone; just not for me.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA

i had a gnex for 8 months and i have a note ii now. i found the exact opposite. all keyboards for android sucked. swype was my fav but IMO the apple keyboard is the best

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
all keyboards for android sucked.

I tried Keypoint Technologies' Adaptxt. I liked it, especially the selection of dictionaries, but I had to uninstall it because it can't be moved to the memory card, and Sprint's bloatware leaves little room in the internal memory. I'll probably try it again when the Nexus 4 arrives.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I have no real desire to go Android, however out of curiosity i wouldn't mind trying it out. Now would be the best time for me to do so since I'm using the old 3G until the 5s hits shelf..Maybe a Galaxy something or Nexus something..

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
It's nice to see people give other platforms a try before writing them off. I previously had a GS3, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I swapped that for an 8X so I could try out Windows Phone 8. Currently I swap between the 8X and my 4S pretty regularly. Personally I prefer the WP keyboard, but the iOS one is still pretty good.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Its a no brainer to check out the new nexus 4

Buy it from google play store. You have 15 days to test it out. Then just return it for full refund.

Your would only "lose" the original shipping cost. There should be no restocking fee for this item

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, for me...iPhone keyboard is way better than anything else out there. Maybe it's because I've been using iOS since the 1.0 days but I type very quickly and accurately on an iPhone as opposed to Android.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
How does everyone type on their keyboards, two thumbs, one hand/one thumb, index finger or ?

I found my iPhone 5 faster to type in one hand with my thumb but my Nexus 4 is faster to type on using both thumbs compared to my iPhone, probably the added width makes it sit better in my palms when using both thumbs.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
How does everyone type on their keyboards, two thumbs, one hand/one thumb, index finger or ?

For both my devices I try to type with two thumbs if possible. If I only have one hand available, I prefer my right as I am a faster typer with it than my left thumb. In absolute extreme circumstances I've had to use my nose before.

I have never seen anyone using their index finger to type. But then again, I guess I wouldn't expect to see that on a college campus.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Its a no brainer to check out the new nexus 4

Buy it from google play store. You have 15 days to test it out. Then just return it for full refund.

Your would only "lose" the original shipping cost. There should be no restocking fee for this item

Took me 3 months to get my refund for the Nexus 7 from the Playstore. Never again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.