Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

NYT: Apple is Working on a Curved Glass Smart Watch

Nick Bilton reports for The New York Times that Apple is "experimenting" with smart watches made of curved glass, "according to people familiar with the company's explorations". The article notes that Corning -- the company behind the iPhone's Gorilla Glass -- has developed a bendable glass called Willow Glass that could potentially be used in a wristwatch type device that curves with the wearer's wrist.

Smart watches have been a topic of conversation in recent weeks, with the Pebble watch shipping last month, and a number of rumors regarding Apple working on a smart watch for possible launch later in 2013.
Quote:
In its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass, according to people familiar with the company's explorations, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they are not allowed to publicly discuss unreleased products. Such a watch would operate Apple's iOS platform, two people said, and stand apart from competitors based on the company's understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.
In court filings between Apple and Samsung, we learned that Apple wanted to use curved glass designs in the original iPhone but the technology available at the time wasn't sufficiently advanced. With the recent advances at Corning however, it appears that Apple's curved glass ambitions could soon be coming to fruition.

Wearable fitness-focused devices were popular at CES this year, with devices like the Jawbone UP and Nike FuelBand leading the way.

Apple CEO Tim Cook is a Nike board member and spoke about his Nike FuelBand at the D10 Conference last year, but demurred about Apple's plans. He did say that wearable devices were "an interesting area", though "the book hasn't been written on that yet."

Article Link: NYT: Apple is Working on a Curved Glass Smart Watch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
SmokyD
macrumors regular

This wouldn't happen on Steve's "watch"
SmokyD is offline   56 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

I can't wait til people who say they would never use an Apple Smartwatch buy one and realize how useful it is, like with every Apple product released
dkersten is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
I can't wait til people who say they would never use an Apple Smartwatch buy one and realize how useful it is, like with every Apple product released
...lol I don't think so.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:19 PM   #5
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yeah, useful. Not like that phone in my pocket can't do everything plus more. Sheeple will buy this. Intelligent people wont.
CapnJackGig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'll stick to wearing my TAG Heuer.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:26 AM   #7
MrSmith
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Which will presumably happen sometime before you lose your virginity. And gain independent thought.

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 AM   #8
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Feel free to PM me every year on this day. I still won't have one. Or any other watch.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:48 AM   #9
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
No offense, but, Apple's product offering hasn't always been perfect.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
weing
macrumors regular

Call me crazy ,but I think getting young people to wear a watch-like item on their wrist other than as a short-lived fad is about as likely as getting them wanting to wear a bowler hat.
weing is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Robin4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by weing View Post
Call me crazy ,but I think getting young people to wear a watch-like item on their wrist other than as a short-lived fad is about as likely as getting them wanting to wear a bowler hat.
Not really. It could be a pedometer, a heart rate monitor, etc., etc. young people use them all the time.
Robin4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:48 PM   #12
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Who says its for young people. Could be for all the old folks that are used to wearing glasses.

Meanwhile the kiddies will be all over the iGlasses. Designed with help from some of the top designers in the world, these stylish glasses are actually a heads up display for notifications, etc from your iOS devices. Exclusive tech displays the information on the inside of the lenses while obscuring it from view in the other side of the lens. Models can be made with prescription lenses for those with vision issues, color changing lenses for wearing as computer/gaming glasses or even sunglasses etc.

Six months later they will release v2 with Bluetooth stereo ear piece options. V3 six months after that will have video/still cameras built in for recording your world, in 3d even.

And of course as Apple is going green, all models will include Apple's new solar charging tech so you only need to use the battery at night.

I heard all about it from this guy who's shagging this girl whose roommate's brother's boyfriend worked at an Apple Store with a guy that claims he saw Jony and Tim wearing the prototypes around campus
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:20 PM   #13
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Who says its for young people. Could be for all the old folks that are used to wearing glasses.

Meanwhile the kiddies will be all over the iGlasses. Designed with help from some of the top designers in the world, these stylish glasses are actually a heads up display for notifications, etc from your iOS devices. Exclusive tech displays the information on the inside of the lenses while obscuring it from view in the other side of the lens. Models can be made with prescription lenses for those with vision issues, color changing lenses for wearing as computer/gaming glasses or even sunglasses etc.

Six months later they will release v2 with Bluetooth stereo ear piece options. V3 six months after that will have video/still cameras built in for recording your world, in 3d even.

And of course as Apple is going green, all models will include Apple's new solar charging tech so you only need to use the battery at night.

I heard all about it from this guy who's shagging this girl whose roommate's brother's boyfriend worked at an Apple Store with a guy that claims he saw Jony and Tim wearing the prototypes around campus
So, for the record, he's gay?
All kidding aside, your tongue-in-cheek assessment is not that far-fetched, and some of it, is within the realm of the possible.

Last edited by macs4nw; Feb 10, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

THAT'S SO COOL! Now I can look at my expensive trinket-watch instead of cell phone, when I need to see the time.

It's a stupid idea. The only good idea is if this is the proposed design for the iPod nano, and they make the nano into something more than just an iPod. It could be a gimmick to surf up sales on such a device, but ultimately it would be a mere novelty. Let's talk about function rather than form, because that's where the worth of the products resides.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:49 PM   #15
iMeanIt
macrumors member

Don't Count This Out!

Quote:
I'm not so sure - this could be a breakthrough product. I imagine it being able to act as a remote satellite for your iPhone that could further integrate Siri and enable a number of features of your iPhone from your wrist. Maybe it would be a good spot for the mini-fingerprint reader (company) that Apple "bought" in the last year or so.
iMeanIt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:46 PM   #16
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I don't think so.

Watches have a distinct advantage over phones in that you don't have to pull them out of your pocket to use them. They have been around for a long time. While their popularity rises and falls, you could hardly call them a fad.

Watches fell to wayside as their function became redundant with phones. To me it seems fairly obvious that, as technology advances makes it feasible, the opposite will happen.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #17
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Or as likely as getting them wanting to wear bold white earbuds & cables?

You're describing a world in which fashion never changes, behavior never changes. The reality is just the opposite. Apple's got quite a record of introducing tools the usefulness of which is quickly discovered and valued, and which are used conspicuously, or even worn, with pride. Do you really think that 50 years from now the ski cap will still be the most-worn "hat" for men?

Quote:
Maybe this is why they changed the iPod nano. Because they're going to release an actual watch now???
A great observation several of others made after you. I liked my Nano--the radio feature makes it a great device at NFL games, for example--keeps expert analysis in my ear. I think the form factor would be improved along with the other functional advances described by many in this thread.

Quote:
...so the iPhone is just...a phone?
That really gets to the gist of the debate going on in this thread. A new product might be called an "iWatch" but it would no more be just a watch than the iPhone is just a phone.

The various "sizes" of apple's products appeal to different people. For me, an 11-inch MBA with a 480GB SSD and 23" external monitor, an iPod Mini and an iPhone comprise that perfect span of capabilities and carry-abilities. Your choices may differ. For my product-set, the introduction of an "iWatch" might alter the equation: With Skype and an LTE iPad mini and some further hardware/software innovations, there might be no more need for the iPhone. For me. Or not. Product innovation inevitably leads to changes in patterns of use. Don't fight it, look forward to it with curiosity and anticipation.

Last edited by rtdunham; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
rtdunham is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:46 PM   #18
iomar
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iomar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyD View Post
This wouldn't happen on Steve's "watch"
The last cool watch i owned was my calculator watch when I was 12. Ever since that, I didn't see a need for owning a watch. Lets see what Apple can do if this is true.

http://www.bjjproducts.com
iomar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:35 PM   #19
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

How about that?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:35 PM   #20
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Seems legit.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:35 PM   #21
sfrancis928
macrumors member

I guess this could be another one of Apple's "hobby" products. Not much wide appeal but great for whoever likes that kind of thing.
sfrancis928 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:38 PM   #22
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I'm sure there are lots of experiments happening in Ive's über-secret design lab. Doesn't mean they'll ever become products available for sale. I'd love to see what Apple could do in this space though.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:42 PM   #23
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

iWatch starting at just $499
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:46 PM   #24
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

if it can act as a widget for apps
or use NFC chips for apps...

so many possibilities that can come with this device. bring it on apple!!

Quote:
Tognazzini believes that via apps and design, Apple would revolutionize the smart watch industry, with its curved glass designs created by Jony Ive, Siri integration, and wireless charging.
I'm very excited with this thoughts.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:48 PM   #25
nfl46
macrumors 601

Very nice ideal! I mean, who can go wrong...its a WATCH...watches will never die! A watch that can help control your iPhone, other home devices, etc., I'm definitely in!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion