Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Majglow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2005
I have a wap passphrase on my airport express. It is a short string. When I connect to it with my powerbook, I just have to put in this string and it works fine. When my friend with a PC does, it doesn't work. It says he needs the 128bit hex key. How can I get it?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Access the base station with the Airport Admin Utility, then in the Base Station menu, select "Equivalent Network Password..."

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Majglow said:
I have a wap passphrase on my airport express. It is a short string. When I connect to it with my powerbook, I just have to put in this string and it works fine. When my friend with a PC does, it doesn't work. It says he needs the 128bit hex key. How can I get it?

Click on Password in Airport Admin Utility

untitled1ce1.jpg

edit: looks like my user friendly picture took too long ;)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
IJ Reilly said:
Access the base station with the Airport Admin Utility, then in the Base Station menu, select "Equivalent Network Password..."

So the AEBS supports WPA and WEP at the same time? Interesting.. Never seen that before. If it doesn't then your friend is out of luck. His card doesn't support WPA, so you're going to have to use WEP or nothing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
risc said:
Click on Password in Airport Admin Utility

Does the same thing as my solution... ;)

This should work. I've used this solution for connecting Windows laptops to my WEP network. I discovered after some research and to my surprise that WEP keys for the different platforms translate differently from plain text to hex. Very strange, but true.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
IJ Reilly said:
Does the same thing as my solution... ;)

Yeah I think you and I started our posts at the same time, my ISP is borked at the moment though so it took ages to get my image up. If I had of noticed your post I wouldn't of even bothered. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.