Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
rahul247rocks
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to rahul247rocks
Can iPad 5 Compete with Playstation 3 if not upcoming PS 4?

We all know that the launch of iPad 5 is just round the corner. One of the areas where Apple should be emphasizing is the Graphics power. Do you think that the new iPad 5 will have enough juice to create PS 3 like graphics. We all know PS 4 is coming out and I am not comparing an ipad with it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2
irDigital0l

no it cannot.

no.

stop.
irDigital0l is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:54 PM   #3
kitzuki
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
no it cannot.

no.

stop.
Seriously +1

Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I didn't say it was. How was any of what you said relevant to me saying we're talking about the size of current gen games? Not what we bought in the 90s. You're getting defensive over nothing. Or maybe you're confusing me for someone else but nowhere did I say size=quality

Lol +200 Desire there are a lot of quality 5-20 gig games stop living in the 16th century guys @_@
kitzuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:36 AM   #4
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Just so you know, most games on PS 3 don't even pull out the best of what the console can offer in terms of Hardware and the games are already 10,20+ GB in size.

How would you expect to compare Ipad games with PS3 when 1TB harddisk alone not enough to hold many games.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:29 AM   #5
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
No, not a chance

The PS3 /PS4 use industry leading desktop gpu variants

You think an ipad, with its small thermal envelope and non-gaming emphasis can hold a candle to systems whose sole purpose is intense gaming?
The PS3 did use cutting edge technology both for the CPU and GPU when it came out (a half decade ago)..especially with its 'cell' technology. Xbox as well....though the Wii the story is a bit different. Considering the iPad 4 is clocked at what...1.3ghz/1.4? The GPU doubles the performance of the iPad 3s 255mhz GPU...the theoretical performance measures are significantly closer than you'd expect. Currently, Apple mandates less than 2GB per app maximum....but with more space, who knows what developers would be capable of.

Obviously PS4 and Xbox 720(?) will sport current guts and significantly outperform their older siblings. But today...regardless of thermal envelopes and other BS cited earlier in this thread....the iPads are definitely a thorn in both MS and Sony's ass. Games are getting very good in iOS and Android both. More casual, sure. No WOW or Starcraft exists yet. But their casual Modern Combat and GTA counterparts in the mobile world are extremely compelling. Especially if you're over 18, married...with children, mortgages and a 9-5 gig. We don't have 30 hours a week to build a 90 level Palladin in WOW.

See below for current console CPU and GPU clock speeds. And notice the, again...theoretical similarities between iPad 3/4 and the new Wii U---

"Hacker Marcan claims to have identified the clock speed and some characteristics of the CPU. Apparently, Nintendo uses a variant of the IBM PowerPC 750 processor with three cores and a clock speed of 1.243125 GHz per core. The Wii had a PowerPC 750CL processor running at 729 MHz. The Wii U's graphics clock is 549.999755 MHz. The Wii's Hollywood GPU was clocked at 243 MHz.

We know that clock speed isn't everything in performance, and the specs somewhat correspond to developer claims -- though some of which are apparently already hitting their limits. Still, the clock speeds are substantially below the rival processors, as the PS3′s Cell CPU and the Xbox 360′s Xenon chip are clocked at over 3 GHz per core. The graphics chip in the Xbox 360 runs at 500 MHz, while the PS3's GPU is clocked at 550 MHz."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1340 View Post
Boy you must be old to bring up the 1.44MB floppy disks. The games that were on the disks were poor quality graphics and very small and limited.
Boy...you must be young and extremely ignorant to dismiss the 1.44MB floppy games as small, limited, and poor graphically. As you get older you'll understand. Many of your favorite artists will be the same you listened to between 14-20 years old. Same with games. Ultima 1,2,3 & 4 on my Apple IIe were some of the favorites in my life...and they were played on the 5 1/4 (6/700k?) floppies! Lol...I remember playing Microsoft flight simulator on 5.25" floppies on my IIe before there was 'Windows'

Sorry to ramble....point being, Apple and Android manufacturers actually have the advantage in this sector. With Sony and MS only updating their hardware every half decade or longer...the tablet manufacturers with yearly updates...the incredible growth of the 'mobile' computing landscape (where Moore's law also pertains)...these attributes will ONLY help to sustain the growth of both hardware AND software development on the iPad. The Surface. The Nexus...alon with our smart phones. Hell...my iPhone 5 is faster in almost every way than computers I owned just a half decade ago. With solid state storage, a GB of RAM, quad core CPU and GPU options....and unparalleled graphic displays....there's no question in my mind these devices WILL indeed surpass the performance of current generation consoles. Not just in performance, but consumer demand and ultimately the curiosity and the support of the developers. Storage size will increase. And the ability to steam wirelessly to your home entertainment system will eventually eliminate consoles completely

I do agree though...better controllability is essential. But already a third party, cottage industry has started to emerge. Check out iCade! Their April fools joke turned into a profitable venture.

If still not convinced...take a look at what nVidia is doing with their own Tegra 4 gaming (handheld) portable unit from CES! It's a very exciting time to be part of this period in technology. When I was 14, I had an Atari 2600. I'm the oldest of four brothers. The next bro down...Coleco Vision. Third brother at 16 had Sega. The youngest brother got a PS1 on his way to college. Only 14 years later...the evolution of both game consoles and portable options has completely changed! When I was riding the school bus...our idea of a iTouch or the Vita was a little football game from Mattel Electronics!...Bad graphics! HA!!....tgis game had little dashed red LED lines for players.

Some of you youngsters would do well to pay respects for the technology that came first. You'll get old too...and soon your kids will be laughing at you for enjoying HALO the way I do Defender, Asteroids or a good old fashioned pinball machine
akdj is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
no it cannot.

no.

stop.
I think this says it best. They are completely different things. ipad is great for games but it's entirely different type of playing experience. Watered down graphics with cheap games and no physical controls, or full cinematic games on your tv with physical controls and amazing graphics. Hmmm...

I don't do any serious gaming on my iPad. Tried shooters like modern combat and nova, but it'll never feel the same with a touchscreen and they're so much more like "mobile phone games" that...well...it's just not that fun to me. I prefer big fps shooters to be played on my xbox or ps3 whereas smaller games are better on the ipad. Casual games
Soulweaponry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Essenar
macrumors 6502

There's a more important question to ask, that the OP more or less springs to mind.

And this is a serious question for both investors and designers:

Is console gaming going to survive the surge of mobile entertainment?

I wanted a PS3 to replace the one I sold. Instead, I got an iPad 4 Retina and a 24" monitor to hook up to it when I want to show off what I'm playing or watch Netflix with a girl.

A PS3 isn't just a gaming device, it's a digital entertainment device that has enriched console gaming built into it.

However, more and more console gamers are "growing out" of their Playstations but not gaming in general. They opt for iPhones, iPod Touch's, iPad's or even Android devices.

Before you say, "Console gaming isn't dying you idiot. Look at Call of Duty sales numbers". You need to understand that for the last four years, console gaming sales have taken a nose dive PLUNGE. And no it's not the economy, because movie sales, cable TV subscriptions and even freaking MUSIC purchases have stayed strong despite the bad economy. The truth is, a lot of people prefer free games or games that cost $5 or $10 after trying them out, than to risk spending $60 on a game and HOPING that it's good.
Essenar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Better question:

Is the PS4 competition with the iPad 5? I wasn't aware they were in the same field.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 PM   #9
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

I severely doubt mobile gaming will replace console gaming in the near future. I have some of these so called amazing games on my iphone (real racing, infinity blade 2, sky gamblers) and whilst it is impressive how far mobile gaming has come in recent years, you just can't come close to the quality of a dedicated platform.

For a start there's screen size - there's nothing wrong with gaming on a small screen, but it's just not immersive enough to replace bug screen gaming.

Then there's the power of the device itself. Comparing real racing 2 to forza motorsport 2 (3 years older) and there's no contest for realism, performance and graphics.

Finally (from what I can think of), there's control. Yes you get accelerometer/gyro in a mobile device but console controls are specifically designed to give you a lot of precision control over a game, and do a good job. There's no substitute for a hardware button for semi-serious gamers.

So in conclusion, I think that mobile gaming will continue to grow, but won't replace console gaming until it overcomes these 3 issues above. So screen size, semi solved with airplay. Performance will continue to increase but won't rival consoles for a number of years IMO. And controls... well I can't see an obvious solution to this for a while to come - I expect this to be the last issue to be fixed. Then finally you have to add 3-7 years ish to get everyone to give up consoles, and only then will mobile have truly replaced console gaming. (That's if it ever fully does)

Sorry for the essay, I think I waffled a bit too much there but it's late
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:57 AM   #10
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

There are certain kinds of experiences that are optimized or only found through the control mechanism you use to interact with the games on iPads (touch).

The same can be said with consoles and their controllers.

The same can be said with PCs.

I think the iPad will continue to take away form the more casual consumers that honestly never really cared about gaming to begin with. The kind of people that are only looking for simple distractions and disposable entertainment without any real investment (time/money/effort/whatever).

Consoles, like PCs are now, I think will cater to the more enthusiastic (hardcore, whatever you want to call them) demographic that wants a little more from their games that demand more precise inputs.

So I suppose in terms of gross revenue, they are both competing for that large group of people, but in terms of playing to their strengths, they are completely different demographics that expect/demand different things.

I personally think console gaming will eventually switch over and focus on margins rather than volume for profit, but that will require a different way of approaching game development which may not happen this upcoming generation.
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Rodster
macrumors 68030

The truth of the matter is no the iPad 5 can't compete with the PS4 or the next Xbox on processing power. It's a totally different gaming experience. But you know what the iPad 5 doesn't need to compete against it and it has already had major implications on handheld gaming.

The once mighty Nintendo portables and the PSP line has been severly hampered by really inexpensive iOS and Android games. The PSP Vita which I own and like a lot is destined for the FAIL heap real soon. The Nintendo 3DS had to drop it's price shortly after it was released because of slow sales.

Yes there are some really good handheld games but you can't beat a 99c or $1.99 iOS game that's delivered seamlessly and you can play it on other iOS devices without worrying about DRM.

It's already been said that this could be the last round of home consoles. People are getting tired of dropping $60 on turd games. I own all the major consoles and I find myself enjoying more a quality iOS or Android game for 99c.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:10 PM   #12
rahul247rocks
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to rahul247rocks
Look at the way in which Apple's mobile processing is progressing.

2009 - Angry Birds Temple Run
2011 - Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2
2012 - Modern Combat 4, NOVA
2013 - Real Racing 3 (yet to come)

Why won't I ask this question? And someone told me that this is a dumb one. Huh! I think after a few more years consoles will cease to exist as Tv's themselves will come with pre-built consoles. The iPad can easily achieve PS 3 graphics within 2 years if they continue on this graph.

AGREE or DISAGREE?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:13 PM   #13
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul247rocks View Post

Why won't I ask this question? And someone told me that this is a dumb one. Huh! I think after a few more years consoles will cease to exist as Tv's themselves will come with pre-built consoles. The iPad can easily achieve PS 3 graphics within 2 years if they continue on this graph.

AGREE or DISAGREE?
I agree about the quality of the graphics but not about the tvs. I don't think anyone is ever going to 'smart' a tv by building in a console. But I also think they won't need to because with devices like iPads that have the power needed and tools like AirPlay there will be ways to get the content up on the screen if so desired
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Rodster
macrumors 68030

I think home console days are numbered. We are already seeing it's replacement waiting in the wings and it's called the $99 Ouya.

The developer has already stated that it will get a yearly hardware update. So yeah whether it's Apple hurting console sales or the Ouya, either way gaming in the future will be a lot cheaper than it is today. Did you guys know that the average Ps3/Xbox 360 game cost $3-5 million? A blockbuster title can cost $50+ million to make. THAT IS INSANE and a reason why small developers have jumped ship on that ecosystem and gone the way of iOS and Android.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #15
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

AGREE or DISAGREE?
Infinity Blade II already looks up to par with PS3 graphics. And Real Racing 3 also looks quite nice Don't forget the iPad 3 and 4 is running it a much higher resolution than the PS3 also
UBS28 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:33 PM   #16
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBS28 View Post
Infinity Blade II already looks up to par with PS3 graphics.
No it doesn't. And the lack of depth is huge compared to games like Skyrim, BF3 and MANY others. Restrictions on app sizes, thermal envelopes and touch screen controls is what's keeping iOS games from reaching console like graphics and immersion. In 2-3 years, you could be right. But right now, there's still a lot of catching up to do. And that will be to achieve PS3/360 like graphics. PS4/Nextbox graphics will be another story. Things have come a LONG way since the days of the first ipad but there's still more to do.

iPad: A4,1Ghz/256mb/PowerVR SGX535
iPad 2: A5,1Ghz DC/512mb/PowerVR SGX543MP2
iPad 3: A5X,1Ghz DC/1gb/PowerVR SGX543MP4
iPad 4: A6X, 1.4Ghz DC/PowerVR PowerVR#Series SGX554MP4

We'll need a couple more revisions, the 2gb app size cap needs to be lifted and we'll need the ability for controllers and something like XB Live or PSN for online gaming (more advanced than game center).
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:40 PM   #17
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBS28 View Post
Infinity Blade II already looks up to par with PS3 graphics. And Real Racing 3 also looks quite nice Don't forget the iPad 3 and 4 is running it a much higher resolution than the PS3 also
Do you have both devices? I do, and IBII, while it looks excellent, is nowhere close to high-end graphics on a PS3. Skyrim is probably the closest in terms of style, and it blows away IBII. Then you look at things like Uncharted 3, and you're moving even further away from what the iPad is capable of.

There is no game for iPad that is on par with PS3 games in terms of graphics.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:11 AM   #18
mouser45
macrumors member

iPad 5 will probably replace all items in existance that involve screens/and or processors. Apple will probably lobby to outlaw all other manufacturers anyways.

Good looking out, OP.
mouser45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Shadow%20Mac
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Shadow%20Mac
Quote:
We all know that the launch of iPad 5 is just round the corner. One of the areas where Apple should be emphasizing is the Graphics power. Do you think that the new iPad 5 will have enough juice to create PS 3 like graphics. We all know PS 4 is coming out and I am not comparing an ipad with it.
Maybe it can. Maybe it can't

But they aren't designed to compete. They aren not competitive products. They aren't even the same form factor.

It's like saying, which is a better machine for creating graphics-- a MacBook Pro with photoshop or an Etch-A-Sketch. They are NOT for the same consumers.

Casual gamers will prefer the iPad and its portability. Serious gamers will prefer the title selections and computing power of the PS3/4
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:45 PM   #20
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow%20Mac View Post
But they aren't designed to compete. They aren not competitive products. They aren't even the same form factor.
Agreed. Comparing the two is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow%20Mac View Post
Casual gamers will prefer the iPad and its portability. Serious gamers will prefer the title selections and computing power of the PS3/4
Agreed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 PM   #21
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502

Call me when you can play Crysis 3 on your iPad or iPhone. When that day happens..........
hovscorpion12 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:59 AM   #22
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Did the N-Gage have enough juice to create PS 2 like graphics?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 AM   #23
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Definitely not. PS3s have dedicated graphics with dedicated memory and not System on Chips. An ipad won't be able to handle the top line of graphic intensive 3d games.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:51 PM   #24
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
We all know that the launch of iPad 5 is just round the corner.
No we don't know that. We know that some of the blogs and stock analysts want us to believe there will be a new full sized iPad and perhaps also a new Mini in the next 60 days or so, but that doesn't make it fact

Quote:
One of the areas where Apple should be emphasizing is the Graphics power.
If they are designing to compete with game consoles sure. And to a smaller degree yes in terms of generally better displays, outdoor use etc.

But to answer the actual question, will the next iPads be able to complete with game consoles. To a degree the iPads already can and yes the next ones will probably do a bit better. But over all I think that we are still a few years out before we can talk of writing off game consoles. Particularly since I doubt that Apple is designing for such a goal or ever will

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Anyone who buys an iPad instead of a PS3 or PS4 didn't really want a Playstation on the first place.
True. But it doesn't mean that they might not play a "Playstation style" game or two on that iPad if it was an option.

i doubt anyone bought an iPad just to play Infinity Blade but it was a very popular game in its time

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
or have Apple API's and related standards that any controller manufacturer can use, to get any success.
they already exist.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:53 PM   #25
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Can it compete with PS3 or 4???

Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ipad, ipad 5, rumors