Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hello,
I have been doing some searching, but haven't really found a consensus on this topic. I went to the Apple store today because I have a strange streaking on the screen of my new 27 inch iMac (-- I am posting about this separately). They told me I will need to bring it in and they may have to replace it, which stinks because it is fully loaded and I am really enjoying the move from Windows.

At any rate, I have to take it in Saturday. First question: What will they do if the screen can't be fixed? A completely new system? What will that cost? While that may sound nice, I really don't want a new one - like the one I have except for the obvious.

Second, what is the best way to backup everything so I can do a full system restore very easily when I get it back? I am very new still to mac, so whatever is easier is better. I just signed up for CrashPlan, but that doesn't seem good for this situation. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?

Thanks in advance.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If the iMac is under warranty they will replace the iMac and it costs you nothing. Apple is very good about doing this, UNLESS you didn't buy the iMac from Apple and got it from a catalog. At that point they'll repair the iMac for free (again if under warranty).

Do a full Time Machine backup. When you get your new iMac just do a Time Machine restore and you're whole computer will be right back to where you last had it. I'm not the biggest fan of Time Machine in general, but when it comes to restoring your machine Time Machine really nails it in ease and execution.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
For backups you can also use Disk Utility to clone your HD. Just select the HD you're going to copy in Disk Utility and click on the "Restore" tab.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Chances are... your initial Crashplan backup is not completed yet... so do not consider that at all. Crashplan is best thought of a super safe extra backup that holds your data. It is not meant for an easy automatic restore.

I would definitely recommend that you fully back up to Time Machine before you bring it in. If your data is ONLY on your new iMac (v.s. also on any old machine that you had)... then I may even do a full copy of your data (pictures, videos, music, documents, ect) to another drive... just to be safe.

Restoring from Time Machine is generally quite good. I've done it a few times and have always been impressed... even when the restore was to a machine with a new version of OSX.

/Jim

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Wow streak on screen? Which iMac is it? 2012 iMac? Wow it was persistent on my 2011 iMac, don't tell me it's the new 2012 iMac.

Please post another thread or pictures about it. I'm curious.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Wow streak on screen? Which iMac is it? 2012 iMac? Wow it was persistent on my 2011 iMac, don't tell me it's the new 2012 iMac.

Please post another thread or pictures about it. I'm curious.

Thanks. Have been trying to take a picture, but it is difficult to do at night. It is a 27" 2012, and I can't really explain it. It has streaks (like when you wash your car and roll down your driver-side window too soon) and a circle in the middle (as if I set a coffee mug on it). Neither will go away no matter what I do. I have used iKlear, but that didn't help.

That being said, I am being a bit of a crybaby. When the iMac is turned on, I don't notice a thing. Everything is bright and beautiful. Absolutely the best purchase and move I have made. I love this thing, and this from someone who admittedly didn't like apple all these years.

Also, love the SSD (-- only mention this because I spent a lot of time reading that long post about whether the SSD was worth it blah blah).

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Stop having the iMac double as an end table!

I'd like to see pictures too, as I'm curious what would cause that. Go with Time Machine. I generally don't use it for day to day file recovery, but it is great for system restores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.